It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:05 am

Hauptwerk on Rodgers 645 Essex, continued

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

rainyglade

Hauptwerk on Rodgers 645 Essex, continued

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 7:24 am

Thanks to all who answered my previous questions, I have now been able to hook up my computer and connect my organ to the St. Anne/Mosley organ. However, I only have one "swell" pedal, which is actually more like a volume control pedal for the whole organ, swell, great and pedal. When I map that pedal to the swell pedal in Hauptwerk, it only works for the Swell keyboard. My Great keyboard in Hauptwerk is very soft, almost inaudible.

I understand why this is, the Swell pedal should open the shutters on the swell chamber, but is there a way to make my Great keyboard louder? I can barely hear it.

TIA

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk on Rodgers 645 Essex, continued

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 8:53 am

Hello rainyglade,

[Topic moved here.]

Only the Swell division is under expression on the St. Anne's organ (real, and also virtual); there's no simple way to alter the sample set to put the other divisions under expression, I'm afraid. (You could potentially instead use the Custom Organ Design Module's -- CODM's -- example organ definition file version of the organ, and modify a copy of that to change its ranks to be enclosed. That involves a bit of XML/SQL editing/programming, and so is a bit more fiddly. See the CODM user guide on the Help menu if you want to go down that route.)

With the standard St. Anne's organ, you could potentially instead auto-detect your MIDI expression pedal to the master volume slider on the 'Audio, MIDI and performance' large control panel (which can be opened via the View menu in Hauptwerk). If you do that, then also right-click on the virtual Swell pedal and clear the MIDI settings for it, so that your MIDI pedal isn't controlling both simultaneously. However, note that the master volume slider simply controls the overall output amplitude of everything simultaneously (even the blower), whereas the virtual Swell pedal models the frequency/phase response of the Swell box, as well as affecting the wind model slightly. Hence the Swell pedal is likely to be noticeably more realistic.

rainyglade wrote: My Great keyboard in Hauptwerk is very soft, almost inaudible.

... but is there a way to make my Great keyboard louder? I can barely hear it.

It's possible to adjust the amplitudes of ranks via the Voicing screen (Advanced Edition) on the 'Organ settings' menu, but with default settings (voicing and rank routing), the St. Anne's Great division is at least as loud as the Swell division.

Are you perhaps routing the Great's ranks to different audio outputs/amplifiers? (With default settings all ranks play through just a single stereo pair.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

rainyglade

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 2:18 pm

With the standard St. Anne's organ, you could potentially instead auto-detect your MIDI expression pedal to the master volume slider on the 'Audio, MIDI and performance' large control panel (which can be opened via the View menu in Hauptwerk)

I have followed your post and tied the expression pedal to the master volume slider, but I can't hear the keyboards and pedals at all when the expression pedal is in its lowest position, and barely audible when wide open. It seems like the organ's console speaker or the speaker on the computer is sounding, but the big speakers which sound in the chapel aren't responding.

I took a video yesterday showing the master volume slider opening, with the corresponding sound for each keyboard, so it looks like that is set up correctly.

Maybe I'll dig into the CODMs unless you have other suggestions?

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 3:15 pm

Hello Rainyglade,

Have you routed the Great and pedal divisions to some different speakers? Have you played in the Voicing screen and tested/changed some of the perspective settings?

You may want to reset the organ to its default settings (you will need to re-autodetect your keyboards, pedalboard, swell pedals). To reset the organ go to Organ settings | Organ configuration wizard , make sure the 3 checkboxes are ticked and click next 3 times/Finish. Out of the box the divisions are properly balanced. Reset the organ and see how it goes.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Return to Technical support