It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

HW4 to HW6 but on new computer

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

craigpfeiffer

HW4 to HW6 but on new computer

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 6:01 pm

I just purchased, but have not downloaded the upgrade. I will download it, and install it on a new computer not containing an old HW version. Since I am "trading in" my HW4 version on the old computer, what is the sequence in which to do things to avoid a licensing conflict?
Thanks,
Craig

micdev

Site Admin

Re: HW4 to HW6 but on new computer

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 pm

Good evening,

Since you are "giving/selling" your HW4 license with your computer, this means that you are no longer the owner and you you *must* buy, not the upgrade version but the full, perpetual license at $599.

If you want to still use the upgrade, then you must keep the Hauptwerk 4 dongle and proceed with the migration of your licenses from the Hauptwerk 4 dongle to the ilok system. You will need also to install the needed drivers on your new computer.

Contact me at support [at] hauptwerk.com so I can help you plan your migration.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

mdyde

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 3:37 am

Hello Craig/Francois,

craigpfeiffer wrote:Since I am "trading in" my HW4 version on the old computer

By 'trading in', did you (Craig) perhaps mean that you were upgrading the v4 licence (and simply no longer using your old computer for Hauptwerk), as opposed to actually giving/selling that v4 licence to anybody else?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

craigpfeiffer

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 8:20 am

Hi Martin, yes that's right. My plan was to wipe my old computer (MacPro 2009), perhaps upgrade to the newest OS it will run, and try to sell it. No one would get my HW4. I'm kind of surprised this isn't a more common scenario. So how do I prove that I'm not giving/selling HW4, or simply keeping it in addition to HW6?

mdyde

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 8:31 am

Thanks, Craig.

Yes -- in that case it's no problem at all to upgrade your existing licence (no need to buy a new one, or to do anything on your old computer). Your v4 licences were inside your v4 Hauptwerk USB Key (HASP dongle), and when you install v6 on your new computer, you need to install the driver for the v4 dongle on the new computer, attach the v4 dongle to it temporarily, launch Hauptwerk v6, and migrate the contents of the v4 dongle to the iLok system that's used for licensing v5+. The 'upgrading' instructions in the Hauptwerk v6 user guide cover it, but Francois will be able to provide any additional help if needed.
Best regards, Martin.

craigpfeiffer

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 8:55 am

That's great, thanks!

Immike

PostSun Oct 31, 2021 9:06 am

Dear Martin
I am in the same boat as Craig, i.e. want to upgrade from V4 to V6 but put it on a new computer.
However, there is one obstacle which I can't see yet the solution to:

You wrote, "Your v4 licences were inside your v4 Hauptwerk USB Key (HASP dongle), and when you install v6 on your new computer, you need to install the driver for the v4 dongle on the new computer, attach the v4 dongle to it temporarily, launch Hauptwerk v6, and migrate the contents of the v4 dongle to the iLok system that's used for licensing v5+."

The trouble is, I don't believe I still have the old dongle driver to install on the new machine, and as far as I'm aware, it's not available for download from HW, so how might I proceed?

Appreciate your advice!

Yours
Mike Bennett

mdyde wrote:Thanks, Craig.

Yes -- in that case it's no problem at all to upgrade your existing licence (no need to buy a new one, or to do anything on your old computer). Your v4 licences were inside your v4 Hauptwerk USB Key (HASP dongle), and when you install v6 on your new computer, you need to install the driver for the v4 dongle on the new computer, attach the v4 dongle to it temporarily, launch Hauptwerk v6, and migrate the contents of the v4 dongle to the iLok system that's used for licensing v5+. The 'upgrading' instructions in the Hauptwerk v6 user guide cover it, but Francois will be able to provide any additional help if needed.

mnailor

PostSun Oct 31, 2021 9:30 am

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19710&p=147779&hilit=HASP+driver#p147779

has links to HASP driver as of April 2021.

Immike

PostMon Nov 01, 2021 5:02 am

Sincere thanks. That solved it.
Looking forward to upgrading!

mnailor wrote:https://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19710&p=147779&hilit=HASP+driver#p147779

has links to HASP driver as of April 2021.

mdyde

PostMon Nov 01, 2021 5:21 am

Thanks very much, Immike and Mark.
Best regards, Martin.

Marc Cerisier

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 6:26 pm

I'm contemplating the same—my organ computer is too old to use a modern OS, and it will fail eventually.

But unlike all of the examples I've seen online—I don't own any sample sets that used the dongle—it was just used for HW. Would I still need to install the drivers for the HASP on the new computer? And run a process on the old dongle? Or does that only apply if you had licensed sample sets?

Thanks,
Marc

mdyde

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 4:22 am

Hello Marc,

Thanks for the contemplating upgrading!

Yes -- you would still to install the HASP drivers and use the menu function to create the migration request file, since the act of producing that request file also removes any v4 licence from the old dongle. However, you wouldn't then need to do anything with the resulting file -- no need to use the migration form/'function on the website, since you wouldn't have any sample set licences to migrate. Thanks again.
Best regards, Martin.

Marc Cerisier

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 2:12 pm

Hmm… could I just take a hammer to it? I don’t like installing drivers I don’t need…

Marc

mdyde

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 3:33 pm

Hello Marc,

If you wanted to do that, and send a quick photo of the mortal remains as proof of its demise to Francois at support [at] hauptwerk.com then I'm that would be fine too!
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support