It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

Cannot install on M1 mini

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Romanos

Cannot install on M1 mini

PostTue Nov 02, 2021 10:41 am

Hello--
I know that support for M1 is technically beta, although there is a reference on the HW website that says that people are running it via rosetta just fine. I just downloaded the most recent mac version 6.0.2 and I have tried installing it twice, and it simply will not run. I keep receiving the error:

"The Hauptwerk folder '/Hauptwerk/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents' (listed in the file locations file '/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/InternalResources/ FileLocations.FileLocations_Hauptwerk)_xml') does not exist. Please re-run Hauptwerk's installer to re-pair your installation.

Message code: 0657"

I get this same error message if I do a standard installation or if I do a custom installation. Any advice?

mdyde

Re: Cannot install on M1 mini

PostTue Nov 02, 2021 11:15 am

Hello Romanos,

macOS 10.15 and later versions won't usually allow you to install things into folders at the top-level of the root drive, such as the folder in your error message (/Hauptwerk).

Hauptwerk v4 and earlier installed to /Hauptwerk by default, but for Hauptwerk v5+, for compatibility with macOS 10.15+ the default (for a clean installation) was changed to:

[your-macOS-account-home-folder]/Hauptwerk

... which should be fine.

If it's still defaulting to /Hauptwerk then presumably you used macOS' installation wizard to transfer settings/applications to the Mac from another Mac which previously had v4 installed on it when you set up your new M1 Mac, resulting in the v6 installer picking up your previous v4 installation paths and defaulting to them (as it would for an upgrade).

Please try following this step from the 'upgrading' section from the Hauptwerk user guide (page 26 in the current v6.0.2 version):

Step 6. Very important: If upgrading from a pre-5 Hauptwerk version, use Finder to make sure that all of the following folders are completely deleted, if they exist (you may be prompted for your password):

1. /Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ
2. /Users/Shared/Relocated Items/Hauptwerk
3. /Hauptwerk

(The latter folder is at the very top-level of your computer's SSD/hard-drive. In order to be able to find it, make sure that the Sidebar | Devices | Hard disks option is ticked in Finder's preferences.)

... then reboot for good measure, then do a clean install of v6 and leave the installer's folders are their defaults (or if you want to customise them then make sure you don't select any folders at the root level on your Mac's system drive).

Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Romanos

PostTue Nov 02, 2021 11:52 am

Bless you! Deleting all the old HW folders and doing a third install did the trick! Thank you!

mdyde

PostTue Nov 02, 2021 11:56 am

Thanks! You're welcome. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support