It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 am

Audio mixer extension

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

vpo-organist

Audio mixer extension

PostSun Nov 14, 2021 5:21 pm

I am waiting for or would like to see the mixer expanded from 8 to an unlimited number. This is necessary for the use of IR's.

It would be handy if the voicing of a sample set can be saved IR specific.

Not all dry sets or sets with truncated reverb tails sound good without further processing. Most of the time, the lower notes need to be adjusted. But I have also had to intonate most tones for certain stops. It would be helpful if these voicings are not necessarily saved for the organ (otherwise it will only sound good with the matching IR), but in relation to an IR.

For example:
The sample set voicing using one or more IR's. When saving, the question might come up:

- Save intonation for the sample set in general?
- Save intonation for use with the set IR constellation?

So I can then save multiple intonations of a sample set for different IR's constellations.

Is there still an update planned for 2021?

In general, I would like to see a further development of the IR use.

Best regards
vpo

mnailor

Re: Audio mixer extension

PostSun Nov 14, 2021 6:14 pm

Perhaps being able to save multiple versions of the organ's complete settings, including the mixer preset number, would suffice to tie the IR with the whole mixer preset to the organ's voicings and per-organ audio settings, rather than specifically tie the organ settings just to the IR selection. It all goes together too much to single out IR, and there isn't a good way to label a selection of IRs other than the preset number.

I think increasing number of presets is on the list already.

IainStinson

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 4:27 am

I have sometimes wanted to have difference versions of the same sample set saved and made reloadable.

For example I wanted to try a different arrangement for the stop layout on my physical console and be able to switch between the two without having to either take backs and restore them or (worse) do the midi assignment again.

(This links inwith having different voicing and sound arrangements for different versions of the sample sample set.)

It probably needs some sort of "user tag" which can be attached to a saved /configured version of the organ, that can be used to select the "version" to be loaded.

mdyde

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 5:38 am

Hello vpo-organist and others,

Thanks for the ideas.

Yes -- (as I've mentioned in other topics) increasing the number of mixer presets is planned for the future, as is allowing mixer presets to be switched in real-time, as is adding the ability to import/export mixer presets (optionally together with rank routing, and/or voicing), in real-time (thus allowing you to switch/compare any or all of those highly inter-dependent/related things together, and/or to exchange them easily between different people).

Also, we do aim to add the ability to have multiple per-organ sets/presets for rank routing and voicing, switchable in real-time (e.g. simultaneously with the mixer preset).

(Actually, I'd very much hoped to included all of those things in Hauptwerk v5. There wasn't enough time, but they're still planned for the future.)

I've added your notes to those enhancement requests.

IainStinson wrote:I have sometimes wanted to difference versions of the same sample set saved and made reloadable.

For example I wanted to try a different arrangement for the stop layout on my physical console and be able to switch between the two without having to either take backs and restore them or (worse) do the midi assignment again.

I've logged as an enhancement request that you'd also like some means to import/export/switch/compare multiple sets of MIDI settings (perhaps also things like piston toolbar function assignments).

vpo-organist wrote:Is there still an update planned for 2021?

The next version won't be ready for release by the end of 2021, but you shouldn't have too long to wait.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 6:07 am

Thanks Martin.

The granularity you are offering would be very useful. However I would also like to be able to set up a version of a sample set (midi, pistons, audio, everything) then have this "complete instrument" saved and be able to recall this again. I would like to be able to save multiple versions of these these "complete instruments".

So I would like to load up St Anne, set the midi, set the audio, adjust the voicing, then save this under a name, "St Anne 1" for example. I could then load up St Anne (again), make some different audio, voicing and midi settings and save this on as "St Anne 2". I could then load to play either "St Anne 1" or "St Anne 2".

Use example: I sometimes use HW at church to accompany the choir from a simple midi keyboard. I need different settings for the church environment compared to that which I use at home; the present solution is a backup / restore operation or a reconfiguration of the instrument.

mdyde

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 6:15 am

Thanks, Iain.

IainStinson wrote:Use example: I sometimes use HW at church to accompany the choir from a simple midi keyboard. I need different settings for the church environment compared to that which I use at home; the present solution is a backup / restore operation or a reconfiguration of the instrument.

In that situation, why not simply use one of the four Hauptwerk configurations (desktop short-cuts) -- which all have completely independent settings -- for your home environment, and another for the church?
Best regards, Martin.

IainStinson

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 6:31 am

Of course I could (should).
Thanks.

mdyde

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 6:58 am

Thanks, Iain. You're very welcome. That was easy!
Best regards, Martin.

vpo-organist

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 3:00 pm

mdyde wrote:In that situation, why not simply use one of the four Hauptwerk configurations (desktop short-cuts) -- which all have completely independent settings -- for your home environment, and another for the church?

Because this is much too cumbersome and requires additional disk space for the Hauptwerk-Cache.

vpo-organist

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 3:10 pm

Dear Martin, I am currently working on the acoustic parameters for an IR.
I noticed that the wet slider from the audio mixer popup is missing when testing the settings.
If this slider would be integrated into the dialog, then I would have all parameters and setting possibilities
in one place and can configure the acoustics comfortably.

The idea of being able to store multiple settings for a sample set/IR and recall them in real time is a great idea!
Especially for large universal organs, this gives me the possibility to set separate settings for different scenarios (baroque, romantic, small church, large church). I hope this will come very soon :-)

mdyde

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 3:44 pm

Hello vpo-organist,

vpo-organist wrote:
mdyde wrote:In that situation, why not simply use one of the four Hauptwerk configurations (desktop short-cuts) -- which all have completely independent settings -- for your home environment, and another for the church?

Because this is much too cumbersome and requires additional disk space for the Hauptwerk-Cache.

Just to clarify -- I was actually replying there to Iain's questions (about having separate settings for absolutely everything), not to your questions about having just separate voicing/routing/mixer settings.

vpo-organist wrote:Dear Martin, I am currently working on the acoustic parameters for an IR.
I noticed that the wet slider from the audio mixer popup is missing when testing the settings.
If this slider would be integrated into the dialog, then I would have all parameters and setting possibilities
in one place and can configure the acoustics comfortably.

Could you clarify what you mean by the 'audio mixer popup'? E.g. are you referring to the 'General settings | Audio mixer' screen?

By 'wet slider', are you referring to the 'Mixer ... reverb wetness scalar %' slider that's on the Audio Mixer, Routing and Voicing/Panning' settings large control panel (View | Large floating control panels ...')?

If so, that control panel slider intentionally isn't duplicated on the mixer screen, since it's an *overall* wetness control, whereas the controls on the mixer screen apply only to the selected mixer bus. Like all of Hauptwerk's settings screens, the controls in the right-hand pane relate solely to the item that's selected in the item list in the left-hand pane -- that's intentional, to avoid any ambiguity. Also, I don't think we'd want to make the mixer screen larger than it needs to be by duplicating controls on it that can be found on other screens. If you want to keep access to the wetness slider while you're adjusting things on the mixer screen, the it's intended that you should keep both screens (mixer, plus the control panel) open at the same time.

However, there is a *per-mixer-bus* 'Wet mix %' control in the right-hand pane on the mixer. (The value settings on the mixer don't currently have graphical sliders/knobs, but we do hope to add some in the longer term, to make it quicker to adjust the values than typing them or using the up/down buttons.)
Best regards, Martin.

vpo-organist

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 3:42 pm

mdyde wrote:Could you clarify what you mean by the 'audio mixer popup'?

The Audio Mixer Floating panel

mdyde wrote:By 'wet slider', are you referring to the 'Mixer ... reverb wetness scalar %' slider that's on the Audio Mixer, Routing and Voicing/Panning' settings large control panel (View | Large floating control panels ...')?

Yes.
mdyde wrote:However, there is a *per-mixer-bus* 'Wet mix %' control in the right-hand pane on the mixer.

Yes, I use this and only one bus.

I understand that you don't want to support different IR settings with realtime switching at the moment. But that would make a lot of sense in the future, should you expand IR support. Among other things, I have the Rotterdam Dry, which is very well suited for IR. The Silver Octopus Concert 125 is also excellent for IR.

Return to Technical support