It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:03 am

Audio glitches while voicing

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

JulianMoney-Kyrle

Audio glitches while voicing

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 7:25 pm

I don't usually take the trouble to adjust the voicing of sample sets, but there were a few pedal notes that were bothering me today as being so loud that they sounded as though they were overdriving my subwoofer. I identified the specific stops and notes and went into the voicing screen to tone them down a bit in order to match the rest of the rank.

I found that playing these notes while trying to adjust the voicing resulted in almost continuous audio glitching, with the CPU indicator going all the way up. The glitching lessened when I reduced the amplitude of those particular notes, and was much less evident with the other notes. Curiously it didn't happen at all unless the mouse pointer was within the voicing window.

I found the same thing with several sample sets that I looked at today, including Rotterdam Main and Velosovo. It was generally the same notes that were worst affected (bottom C# and D with 16' and 32' flues) which made me think initially that these particularly notes were resonating in my room, but I can't see how that could feed back to the computer to cause glitching.

I don't have this problem when playing (well... there is some slight glitching that I haven't been able to run down yet) but it is so bad as to make voicing more difficult as I can't listen to the note while I am moving the slider.

I don't know whether this is some peculiarity of my set-up or whether this is something that other people have found, but I thought I should draw attention to it in case it is something that Martin needs to deal with before HW7 is ready for release.

I am using HW6 running on a 10-core i9 processor in a Dell workstation that is about nine months old. My audio interface is a MOTU micro lite iv and I have 12 Behringer active speakers arranged as 6 stereo channels, as well an SVS powered subwoofer which receives a mix-down through the headphone output of the interface.

mnailor

Re: Audio glitches while voicing

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 7:34 pm

I haven't had audio glitches on the voicing window -- I test notes after moving the slider -- but I do get high CPU utilization and multi-second delays updating the numbers when I'm moving the slider, especially if I've multiselected a lot of ranks. It's really hard to get the release truncation to stop close to but above 0 because it's sluggish.

mdyde

PostWed Nov 24, 2021 4:47 am

Hello Julian,

In case it's relevant, adjusting voicing for a lot of pipes and/or ranks simultaneously (e.g. via the 'Master' voicing slider, or with multiple ranks selected on the voicing screen) whilst they're sounding can be very CPU-intensive, and could thus risk audio glitches, but that wouldn't normally be the case for adjusting just a single pipe at a time.

However, please first make sure, via 'Help | About Hauptwerk', that you are actually using the current version of Hauptwerk -- specifically v6.0.2. There was a fix in v.6.0.2 to work around potential audio glitches/distortion (and high CPU usage) with the real-time filters for deep bass pipes, especially at 96 kHz and/or if their voicing filters were turned up a lot.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostWed Nov 24, 2021 6:02 pm

Hello Martin,

Thank-you for your prompt reply.

I am pretty sure that I am running version 6.02 but I will check. I have only been trying to voice one rank at a time, only on note at a time and only amplitude. However, as most of the notes don't require anything there are probably the release tails of several samples sounding at a time while I am playing a descending chromatic scale to identify the problematic ones. However, even a sustained single note will result in glitches, particularly if it is too loud.

It doesn't make voicing impossible, and this isn't something that I spend much time on anyway, except that there are some pedal notes that stand out to the point of rattling the windows. Nevertheless, I thought that you would want to be aware of this behaviour.

mdyde

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 4:54 am

Thanks, Julian.

We'll wait to hear whether you're using v6.0.2 first.

For good measure, I just tested St. Anne's, with all of the 16' ranks drawn simultaneously, and using the voicing 'master' slider to adjust all of their amplitudes simultaneously (lots of 16' ranks/pipes at once) and I don't get audio glitches, even if moving the slider fairly quickly on my 2.4 GHz quad-core PC. Of course, if I turn their amplitudes up too much I can eventually cause audio 'clipping' due to the signal being too loud.

If you are indeed using v6.0.2 then please check that the audio signal level meter isn't going into the red on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel, or in your audio interface's driver control panel (if present).

One other point: if moving the voicing sliders very rapidly you might some light crackles, due to discontinuities (jumps in values due to the rapid slider position changes).

Another possibility: perhaps your PC is having a hardware performance issue related to the mouse (or touch-screen, if applicable) or graphics card, causing excessive overheads/delays as you move the graphical sliders. Try leaving LatencyMon ( https://resplendence.com/latencymon ) running whilst adjusting the voicing in Hauptwerk, and see whether LatencyMon reports any problems with hardware/driver/system performance for real-time audio.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support