It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 am

Delay the stepper action?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Stehtimbeet

Delay the stepper action?

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 5:40 pm

Hello all,

I've been wondering if there's any way to delay the action of the combination stepper.
On real organs it normally takes a part of a second for the magnets to switch on and off a stop. On Hauptwerk however this happens instantly and sometimes you can already hear the new combination when I hit +1 and don't release the manual keys quick enough. Is there any possibility to make this more realistic?

Thanks for any ideas!

Ben

mnailor

Re: Delay the stepper action?

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 6:09 pm

I know some samplesets like Armley and Hereford include stop action delays, which would give some of this effect. I don't see any way to add action delays on HW master registration tools like the stepper.

mdyde

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 4:42 am

Hello Ben,

To add to Mark's reply, indeed there isn't a means currently within Hauptwerk by which you could add a delay to Hauptwerk's master combinations, I'm afraid, but I'll log it as an enhancement request for future consideration.

If your MIDI organ console's pistons are home-wired, you might perhaps be able to add a delay to the pistons within their MIDI encoders' firmware (but I don't know off-hand whether any commercial suppliers of MIDI encoders have that functionality).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Stehtimbeet

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 5:51 am

Thank you for your ideas! I'll try to delay it with the midi interface. There might be a way. :D

Ben

mdyde

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 6:00 am

Thanks, Ben.

Another quick thought: if you can't do it within the MIDI hardware, you might perhaps be able to use some intermediate MIDI processor software between the MIDI hardware and Hauptwerk (e.g. perhaps something like Bome's MIDI Translator), if you can find any that has functionality for delaying MIDI messages.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 10:46 am

I'm reading the user manual for Bome MIDI Translator, and it does have the ability to delay a message by a given number of milliseconds. Topic 8.5.1.

Return to Technical support