It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am

Question about polyphony limit

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mnailor

Question about polyphony limit

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 5:49 pm

Does the polyphony limit include/limit additional copies of ranks created by sending the ranks to perspective 2, 3, or 4 and routing those to nonempty audio groups? I'm assuming it does, but haven't worked out how to prove or disprove it. Thanks.

mdyde

Re: Question about polyphony limit

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 4:26 am

Hello Mark,

Routing any given virtual pipe simultaneously to more than one output perspective (by turning up the relevant 'perspective mix' on the voicing screen, etc.) uses no more polyphony than routing it to just one perspective.

The audio engine can process all four output perspectives simultaneously in each CPU instruction (via the AVX instruction sets, which allow 8 floating point numbers to be operated on simultaneously). (On older CPU that didn't have AVX, or on Apple's new Apple-CPU Macs which only have the ability to process four floating point numbers simultaneously in any given CPU instruction, using output perspectives 3 and/or 4 will be more CPU intensive, but it still won't count towards the polyphony limit.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 4:35 am

Martin, thank you. That explains why I had to reduce the polyphony limit in a few larger organs where I'm sending an additional perspective to outputs with IR. The convolutions use CPU time that isn't being counted against the polyphony limit. Makes sense the way you've done it -- I just need to use the limit correctly.

Edit: I suppose the extra audio load from adding 4 second releases to an added perspective might use more CPU than the convolution calculations. Either way, treating it like another set of ranks and lowering the polyphony limit proportionally solves the problem for large too-dry organs until I get my bigger computer.
Last edited by mnailor on Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 4:59 am

Thanks, Mark.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support