It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:55 pm

MIDI output port

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

wiznap

MIDI output port

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 1:02 pm

Hello.

In order to be able to have the names for the stops changing according to the organ I use, I created and added two jambs (right and left) panels with MIDI driven buttons (+leds) and oled screens (72 each jamb).

So far so good, I can detect the SysEx messages coming from HW and parse the various messages for my needs.

The problem is that HW let me select only one MIDI output port on the 'General Settings | General Preference | MIDI Console Status output' screen tab....but I have two jambs each driven by one Raspberry Pi Pico.

Is there a way (besides concentrating everything in one CPU) to be able to obtain the necessary information (at least the Current Organ Name) in both microcontrolers?

Many thanks in advance,

-Carlo
Kind regards. Carlo.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJHxVz ... gBSFebCmg/

GrahamH

Re: MIDI output port

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 2:45 pm

Try under

Organ settings > Advanced MIDI applications > Custom MIDI configuration messages to send...
You can nominate which stop jamb in the left hand panel and you can choose which Raspberry Pi in the right hand panel.

HTH
Graham

mdyde

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 3:42 pm

Hello Carlo,

There's no way natively within Hauptwerk to duplicate the 'MIDI console status output' sys-ex message stream to a second MIDI output port, I'm afraid. If Graham's alternative suggestion isn't suitable for your purposes, perhaps you could either make one of your Raspberry PIs tell the other somehow, or use some kind of hardware or software processor between Hauptwerk and your Raspberry PIs to duplicate the MIDI stream from Hauptwerk to both of them, e.g. something like Kenton's 'MIDI Thru' boxes:

https://kentonuk.com/product-category/midi-thru-boxes/
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

wiznap

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 5:30 am

Yes, Graham's alternative seems to be a good workaround. It is not the automatic solution I was dreaming of, but at least, even if some editing (only once) is required for each organ, it allows to do the job.

Thanks to both.
Kind regards. Carlo.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJHxVz ... gBSFebCmg/

mdyde

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 5:38 am

Thanks, Carlo.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 12:21 pm

In reading the user manual for Bome MIDI Translator, it looks like you could set HW to send to a Bome virtual port, and send modified MIDI messages out to whatever MIDI outputs your panels are on. It can send two or more different messages out for one matched input message. (2 translators)

Worth looking at.

GrahamH

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 12:50 pm

To add to my previous post -
In my console I have an Arduino DUE for each stop jamb
My solution was to type the stop lists for each of my virtual organs organ into the Arduino program ("sketch").
Then in Organ settings > Advanced MIDI applications > Custom MIDI configuration messages to send...
configure Hauptwerk to send a unique SYSEX message for each organ, to tell the Arduinos which stop list to display.
Graham

Return to Technical support