It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 am

Hauptwerk not loading

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

JonathanClinch

Hauptwerk not loading

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 6:23 am

My normal setup has been working fine for over a year. Yesterday when I switched it on and clicked on the hauptwerk icon, nothing happened. In the task manger a process called ‘hauptwerk’ starts, but nothing appears, nothing in the task bar etc. No error messages either.

I’ve tried restarting, reinstalling hauptwerk, a fresh hauptwerk installation, a fresh installation of the audio drivers etc. Having re-installed, exactly the same issue. I’ve also rolled back the last automatic windows update - no difference. I’ve no idea what to try next.

Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro (20H2)
Behringer UMC202 HD
Custom midi console

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk not loading

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 6:52 am

Hello Jonathan,

My first guess would be that some audio or MIDI driver that's present one the system (an ASIO, DirectSound, or MIDI driver) is hanging for some reason when Hauptwerk queries the list of available drivers upon launch.

Assuming you're using the primary configuration (as opposed to one of the 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' desktop shortcuts), and assuming default installation locations, If you open the following file:

[your-Windows-account's-home-directory]\Hauptwerk\HauptwerkUserData\Config0-Logs\HauptwerkLog.html

... and scroll to the end, what do the last few lines show (e.g. copy/paste them)?

Also, if you reboot, then try instead launching 'Hauptwerk (alt config 1)', does it start properly?

If not, if you shut the PC down, then temporarily disconnect all audio and MIDI interface hardware (e.g. your Behringer interface's USB lead) from the computer physically, then boot the PC (with the audio/MIDI devices disconnected), is 'Hauptwerk (alt config 1)' then able start properly?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JonathanClinch

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 8:04 am

Thanks for the reply. It hasn't generated any log files yet (clean installation).

Alt config 1 etc have the same problem.

JonathanClinch

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 8:07 am

PS. I've also physically removed the audio and midi USB cables and uninstalled the audio driver.

IainStinson

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 9:18 am

Is iLOK installed and is the iLOK service running before you try to run HW?

Iain

mdyde

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 9:20 am

Thanks, Jonathan.

Does downloading and (re-)installing the latest version of iLok License Manager ( https://ilok.com/#!home ), then rebooting (still keeping USB audio/MIDI devices detached), solve it?

If not:

- If you're using an iLok dongle, please try removing it temporarily.
- Please also try using 'File | Close All Cloud Sessions' in iLok License Manager if it's enabled

... then reboot again for good measure, then try launching Hauptwerk. You should see an iLok prompt effectively telling you that no licence is present (e.g. telling you to attach your dongle). Do you see a prompt of that type?

Edit: P.S. I see Iain and I replied at the same time.
Best regards, Martin.

JonathanClinch

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 10:37 am

Tried reinstalling iLok and it made no difference - I got none of the prompts and it was logged into my account happily.
I've gone with the slightly nuclear option of a Windows reset and I'll reinstall everything and see if that makes a difference!

mdyde

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 10:51 am

Thanks, Jonathan.

JonathanClinch wrote:Tried reinstalling iLok and it made no difference - I got none of the prompts and it was logged into my account happily.

Strange. In that case I think it must actually have been the iLok software (which wraps the Hauptwerk executable) which was hanging for some reason, since it should have shown you a prompt about a missing licence in that situation (and before it would attempt to launch Hauptwerk itself).

JonathanClinch wrote:I've gone with the slightly nuclear option of a Windows reset and I'll reinstall everything and see if that makes a difference!

Let's hope that solves it! I strongly suspect it will.
Best regards, Martin.

JonathanClinch

PostWed Jan 12, 2022 11:54 am

Yes, that's solved it. Must have been a Windows error from an update. Argh!
Many thanks for the advice!

mdyde

PostWed Jan 12, 2022 12:35 pm

Thanks, Jonathan. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support