It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:23 pm

The stepper - why so many keys?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mnailor

Re: The stepper - why so many keys?

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 12:03 pm

IainStinson wrote:The Combinations Stepper (all) panel was added in HW 6. In HW 5 you have trigger buttons of for xx0 to xx9.

For my console I have trigger pistons for xx0 to xx9, and cue changing pistons for +100 -100 +10 -10 and a piston for 000 as well as advance frame (4 of these) and previous frame. I also select the option keep the cued frame and current frame synchronised.

Iain

I've been struggling with the best way to set up my pistons for the stepper for a while now. You just reminded me to have a rethink! I've been mapping some of the stepper triggers x00 - x99 and using them as both "generals" and stepper sequences. But that makes setting up new sequences awkward: the only way to copy registrations to new frames is to bring up the large stepper control panel and try to press tiny little buttons on the screen. That's beyond my eyesight, as is doing much hand registration on some samplesets with smaller stop labels. It's been tedious to add any new stepper sequences in day-to-day use.

So I just switched back to mapping my "general" pistons to actual master generals, added a (re)trigger cued piston to save to the current frame, and set the general preference to sync cued to the current frame. Then I can copy from a fixed set of general pistons (sometimes modified by divisionals) to stepper frames without using the touch screen.

mdyde

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 12:23 pm

deWaverley wrote:Incidentally, if Martin is reading this...it would be quite cool to be able to right-click the red stepper frame display and assign whatever step it is on to a piston. I think a lot of people would like to be able to have the first frame of each piece (in e.g. a concert programme) on its own piston, and then just use a stepper pedal to increment their way through the subsequent frames of the piece.

Hello deW,

There's a dedicated virtual '000' piston for that purpose, which you can auto-detect to a MIDI piston.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 1:53 pm

As there seems to be some interest in how to use the combinations stepper, here is a link to a few notes I have prepared about how I use the combinations stepper. I hope they are of some use. https://iainstinson.com/hauptwerk/combination-stepper-system-notes.pdf

Iain

mnailor

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 1:59 pm

IainStinson wrote:As there seems to be some interest in how to use the combinations stepper, here is a link to a few notes I have prepared about how I use the combinations stepper. I hope they are of some use. https://iainstinson.com/hauptwerk/combination-stepper-system-notes.pdf

Iain

Thank you. That was helpful.
Previous

Return to Technical support