It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:29 am

Computer went boom!

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Sandy Hackney

Computer went boom!

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 5:07 pm

I have a 4.0.0 HW hooked up to an Allen c40 chapel organ. I had just loaded the St. Anne's Moseley and clicked on a stop and a huge roar came out of the speakers, much racket, etc. The screen ultimately went blank and the computer turned off. Turned it back on and HW seemed to load OK as did several sample sets but no sound. Reset to factory settings but no sound. The console stops work fine and the speakers seem to be OK.

Is this a failure in the PC? It is one that was purchased from the fellow who did lots for HW owners - can't remember who he is right now. Ten years back and I think he was in TX.

Thank you!

larason2

Re: Computer went boom!

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 9:06 pm

Based on your story I would expect it is the audio interface/computer sound card. Probably time to get a new one.

mdyde

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 4:58 am

To add to larason2's reply (and briefly, since we no longer officially support v4), it might also be worth testing the computer's RAM for errors and scanning its drive(s) for errors. If it has a built-in audio output you could try temporarily setting Hauptwerk to use that (and plug headphones into it), just as a test to try to verify whether the problem is indeed with your audio interface specifically (which I agree sounds most likely).

Sandy Hackney wrote:Is this a failure in the PC? It is one that was purchased from the fellow who did lots for HW owners - can't remember who he is right now. Ten years back and I think he was in TX.

Perhaps you bought it from Thomas Gentry:

https://organtechnology.com/
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Sandy Hackney

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 7:41 am

Thank you! Yes, I did find in my files that I had purchased it from Thomas Gentry. It was perfect for 10 years. Just like the Thanksgiving turkey - life was perfect until.......

Sandy Hackney

Computer went boom - more issues

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 4:27 pm

The thoughts below on the computer boom - possibly a sound card failure - are gratefully received. I will have to wait until the holidays are over before taking it to a shop.

However another issue is that although the touch screen responds to both my fingers and the mouse, when a sample set is loaded the depressing of the keys or pedals is not shown on the screen.

Is there any link to the sound failure or is it another problem?

Thank you!!

mnailor

Re: Computer went boom - more issues

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 4:30 pm

If your console's MIDI connection is into your audio interface, it could be the same device's failure.

mdyde

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 4:51 pm

[Topic merged with the original one, so that the relevant background can be found easily.]
Best regards, Martin.

Sandy Hackney

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 6:04 pm

Dear friends,
I took my exploded PC to a local computer store who first put lots of parts in, e.g., motherboard, hard drive, operating system, etc and then spent a number of hours with me trying to get it working with a download of HW VI. Couldn't make it happen. Then through inquiries of this forum I ran across Francois who was very helpful. Ultimately I was up against a large hole in my computer skills. Francois has a consulting company to aid those with HW problems. Today in only two hours he performed miracles and got my system up and running, transferred many of my SS from my old HW4 system with Windows 7 to my new HW VI and Windows 10. A miracle! I recommend him without reservation. Check out his website at
http://www.hauptwerkconsultant.com. And, thank you Francois! And, thank you friends at this forum.

mdyde

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 5:16 am

Excellent -- very glad to hear it's all up and running again.
Best regards, Martin.

Sandy Hackney

PostSat Feb 19, 2022 9:11 am

Follow up! After one more session yesterday with Francois my PC and HW is fully functional and sounding fantastic. I can't recommend him enough for his knowledge, patience and skill in helping me navigate the HW world. Thank you Francois! His website is listed in a comment right above. Don't hesitate if you have any problems.

micdev

Site Admin

PostSat Feb 19, 2022 11:52 am

Many thank Sandy for your kind words. Glad I could help.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Return to Technical support