It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:58 pm

Latching indicators no longer working

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

MikeDC

Latching indicators no longer working

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 7:06 pm

I am using floating divisions and have 3 different routes established. I matched my lighted pistons to the virtual controls 1-3 for routes. When I click on the virtual control, the light on the piston similarly lights up. However, when I use the physical piston, the light does not come on.

Oddly, this worked fine before I upgraded to HW VI.

mdyde

Re: Latching indicators no longer working

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 5:47 am

Hello Mike,

As a test, I've just tried auto-detecting those control panel buttons to Novation Launchpad buttons (which send MIDI, and receive MIDI to control their lamp states), and they work properly in both directions for me, i.e.:

- If I press the physical MIDI button both the virtual control and the physical lamps turn on/off appropriately and in sync., and:
- If I click on the virtual button the same happens.

Please try:

- Load St. Anne's.

- Right-click on those virtual buttons and select 'Clear all MIDI ...'.

- Exit Hauptwerk, shut the computer down, and turn off your MIDI console, and all MIDI hardware and computer hardware at the mains.

- Wait 30 seconds then turn it all back on again, boot the computer, and re-launch Hauptwerk.

- Load St. Anne's again.

- (Given that MIDI settings have been cleared), verify that those control panel buttons are not now affecting the states of your lighted pistons' lamps at all, and that pressing those lighted pistons no longer affects anything at all in Hauptwerk (just in case they'd accidentally also been auto-detected to some other virtual controls).

- Now auto-detect those four control panel buttons to your lighted pistons again using (e.g.) the 'Auto-detect ... (for this organ)' right-click option, ensuring that MIDI output is also configured for them. (If MIDI output can't be configured automatically by auto-detection because your pistons' lamps use non-matching MIDI messages, then use the 'Adjust settings manually ... (for this organs)' right-click option to perform the manual configuration, if you'd used 'for this organ' for the auto-detection.)

Do they then work properly in both directions?

MikeDC wrote:Oddly, this worked fine before I upgraded to HW VI.

Note that in v6 it's possible to auto-detect/configure MIDI settings for control panel buttons on a 'for all organs' or 'for this organ' basis, so if you'd auto-detected those same physical MIDI pistons to something on a 'for this organ' for some organs, but had also auto-detected them to something else on a 'for all organs' basis in at least one organ, then you could end up with the MIDI piston triggering two different controls simultaneously in some organs. 'For this organ' MIDI assignments don't automatically override 'for all organs' MIDI assignments in v6, so you need to be careful when planning which option to choose for each given MIDI piston.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

MikeDC

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 11:42 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Mike,

As a test, I've just tried auto-detecting those control panel buttons to Novation Launchpad buttons (which send MIDI, and receive MIDI to control their lamp states), and they work properly in both directions for me, i.e.:

- If I press the physical MIDI button both the virtual control and the physical lamps turn on/off appropriately and in sync., and:
- If I click on the virtual button the same happens.

Please try:

- Load St. Anne's.

- Right-click on those virtual buttons and select 'Clear all MIDI ...'.

- Exit Hauptwerk, shut the computer down, and turn off your MIDI console, and all MIDI hardware and computer hardware at the mains.

- Wait 30 seconds then turn it all back on again, boot the computer, and re-launch Hauptwerk.

- Load St. Anne's again.

- (Given that MIDI settings have been cleared), verify that those control panel buttons are not now affecting the states of your lighted pistons' lamps at all, and that pressing those lighted pistons no longer affects anything at all in Hauptwerk (just in case they'd accidentally also been auto-detected to some other virtual controls).

- Now auto-detect those four control panel buttons to your lighted pistons again using (e.g.) the 'Auto-detect ... (for this organ)' right-click option, ensuring that MIDI output is also configured for them. (If MIDI output can't be configured automatically by auto-detection because your pistons' lamps use non-matching MIDI messages, then use the 'Adjust settings manually ... (for this organs)' right-click option to perform the manual configuration, if you'd used 'for this organ' for the auto-detection.)

Do they then work properly in both directions?

MikeDC wrote:Oddly, this worked fine before I upgraded to HW VI.

Note that in v6 it's possible to auto-detect/configure MIDI settings for control panel buttons on a 'for all organs' or 'for this organ' basis, so if you'd auto-detected those same physical MIDI pistons to something on a 'for this organ' for some organs, but had also auto-detected them to something else on a 'for all organs' basis in at least one organ, then you could end up with the MIDI piston triggering two different controls simultaneously in some organs. 'For this organ' MIDI assignments don't automatically override 'for all organs' MIDI assignments in v6, so you need to be careful when planning which option to choose for each given MIDI piston.

Thanks for responding, Martin.

I loaded St. Anne's, but before I cleared all MIDI, I tested the pistons and all was working correctly. I then loaded two other others for which I had set these pistons and they too were working correctly. Somehow, overnight, the organ healed itself. Your powers have incredible reach!

Perhaps it was simple turning the organ off last night got everything re-aligned.

Michael

mdyde

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 12:25 pm

Thanks, Michael.

Excellent! That was easy.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support