It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pm

Audio/MIDI/performance Control Panel Stuck

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

SKresge

Audio/MIDI/performance Control Panel Stuck

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 5:10 am

I have been using two monitors for years, but when moving the control panel from one monitor to the other, accidentally lifted up on the mouse and it is only showing half of the control panel on the one monitor and of course the gray bar you move it with is not showing on the other. I have tried toggling the window close and open again and to no avail it will not move to grab the bar on the left side. What does one do??

Scott

mdyde

Re: Audio/MIDI/performance Control Panel Stuck

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 5:34 am

Hello Scott,

It wouldn't be possible to move the mouse outside of Windows' full desktop area. If set in Windows to "Extend these displays" the Windows desktop area (rectangle) would span your two monitors, and maybe with an extra rectangle if your two monitors are different sizes, so that Windows can present the entire desktop as a single rectangle encompassing both. Since you would only be able to drag the control panel's handle to wherever the mouse is, the handle must still be within Windows' full desktop rectangle area (even if not currently within the portions currently visible on the two monitors).

Before trying more drastic options (e.g. resetting things, or temporarily changing the Windows screen topology to force it to become fully visible again), the quickest and easiest option might actually be just to try to estimate how far the handle is from the edge of the visible monitor area, then try to move the mouse 'blind' that distance and drag it back. Since the handle is quite thin it might take a few attempts and a bit of practice, but I suspect only a couple of minutes or so.

Are you able to fix it that way?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

SKresge

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 6:25 am

mdyde wrote:Before trying more drastic options (e.g. resetting things, or temporarily changing the Windows screen topology to force it to become fully visible again), the quickest and easiest option might actually be just to try to estimate how far the handle is from the edge of the visible monitor area, then try to move the mouse 'blind' that distance and drag it back. Since the handle is quite thin it might take a few attempts and a bit of practice, but I suspect only a couple of minutes or so.

Martin, I did try that, as soon as you start to move to the left to find it, it goes to the other monitor.

I have try rotating the orientation of the monitors, I have tried launching HW with that monitor turned off. I have tried different organs, nothing lets me grab it.

Perhaps reinstalling HW 7 again??

Scott

mdyde

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 7:32 am

Thanks, Scott.

Fundamentally, you would only have been able to move the handle to wherever (on the Windows encompassing desktop rectangle) the mouse pointer was, so somehow you must still be able to move the mouse pointer back to where the handle currently is. I.e. if you can work out how you accidentally got the mouse pointer there in the first place then you should be able to move the pointer there again and drag it back. If you look at the Windows' "Settings | System | Display" you should be able to determine where the non-visible portion of the control panel must be relative to the portion of the Windows desktop that's displayed on the monitor that's currently showing the remainder of the control panel:

https://www.howtogeek.com/666239/how-to ... indows-10/

Alternatively (and assuming that you're referring to one of the large [not mini] control panels, and that the "When opening large control panels, recall their positions" general preference is still set to its default of 'globally'):

Do you currently have that same large control panel already open for any other organs? If so:

- With the organ loaded which has the control panel off-screen, close that control panel (e.g. via the View menu).

- Now load an organ that has that same control panel already open (and not off-screen).

- Move the control panel a little (keeping it on-screen).

- Re-load the organ which previously had the control panel panel off-screen.

- Reopen the control panel. It should now reopen in the same (on-screen) position that you just moved it to within the other organ.
Best regards, Martin.

SKresge

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 7:36 am

mdyde wrote:If you look at the Windows' "Settings | System | Display" you should be able to determine where the non-visible portion of the control panel must be relative to the portion of the Windows desktop that's displayed on the monitor that's currently showing the remainder of the control panel:

https://www.howtogeek.com/666239/how-to ... indows-10/

Martin, I have a Mac

Scott

mdyde

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 8:14 am

Thanks, Scott. In that case, I think the same should apply, except (if I recall correctly) that you'd use macOS' "System Preferences | Displays | Arrangement" to view their current arrangement.
Best regards, Martin.

SKresge

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 2:05 pm

mdyde wrote:Alternatively (and assuming that you're referring to one of the large [not mini] control panels, and that the "When opening large control panels, recall their positions" general preference is still set to its default of 'globally'):

Do you currently have that same large control panel already open for any other organs? If so:

- With the organ loaded which has the control panel off-screen, close that control panel (e.g. via the View menu).

- Now load an organ that has that same control panel already open (and not off-screen).

- Move the control panel a little (keeping it on-screen).

- Re-load the organ which previously had the control panel panel off-screen.

- Reopen the control panel. It should now reopen in the same (on-screen) position that you just moved it to within the other organ.

Martin, THIS WORKED! thank you so much!!

mdyde

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 2:23 pm

Thanks, Scott. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support