It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am

Realtime Priority Feature not working in Windows 10

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

LukasT

Realtime Priority Feature not working in Windows 10

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 4:10 am

Hi everyone,

I'm using Hauptwerk v6 on Windows 10. On my system, I get audio artifacts every 10-20sec despite following all optimization guidelines. Switching Hauptwerk to Realtime priority via the Task Manager fixes that.

I would like Hauptwerk to switch itself into Realtime automatically. In the preferences, I have realtime priority turned on. If I understand the documentation correctly, if I now run Hauptwerk with Admin privileges, it will switch itself into Relatime mode.

Unfortunately, this doesnt work. I select Hauptwerk in the Start Menu, right-click and select "Run as Administrator". I get the User Account Control prompt, click "Yes", and Hauptwerk starts. But it is still in Normal priority according to Task Manager. Is this a known problem?

As a workaround, I have written a batch script that puts Hauptwerk in Realtime mode. Still, it would be more elegant if I didnt need this workaround.

Thanks,
Lukas

mdyde

Re: Realtime Priority Feature not working in Windows 10

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 4:48 am

Hello Lukas,

If on Windows Hauptwerk's "Try to run Hauptwerk at real-time priority on Windows" general preference is ticked and you launch Hauptwerk with Windows administrator rights, then Hauptwerk will switch to running at real-time process priority whenever audio is active, but at other times (e.g. when an organ isn't loaded, or if you have the preferences screens open) it will run at normal process priority.

Hence when you launch Hauptwerk it would indeed continue to run at normal process priority until an organ is loaded are audio starts. That's the normal and intended behaviour (so that it doesn't hog CPU resources at times that it doesn't need to).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

LukasT

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 5:10 am

Thanks for the clarification. Indeed, when an organ is loaded I am getting Realtime priority as expected.

Lukas

mdyde

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 5:38 am

Thanks, Lukas. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support