It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:32 am

What happens to stereo samples sent to a mono bus?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mnailor

What happens to stereo samples sent to a mono bus?

PostWed Mar 09, 2022 7:25 pm

I know I've seen the answer to this before, but I can't find it.

If I send a stereo rank (say St Anne's GT Open) to a bus group containing all mono output buses, how does HW reduce the stereo sample to mono?

Should the resulting sample be the same each time the note is pressed, assuming I loaded only one loop and turn off wind and other models? I'm doing this to level my speaker gains better, so I want to make sure I'm sending the same signal, or as close as possible, to each speaker. Using dynamic cyclic algorithm to choose successive speakers with the same note.

Thank you.

mdyde

Re: What happens to stereo samples sent to a mono bus?

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 4:40 am

Hello Mark,

If you load a stereo rank of samples in mono (via the "Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio memory options" screen) then Hauptwerk will pick the loudest channel from each sample, and automatically adjust its level to match the mean of the sample's two original stereo channels (so as to avoid any potential for phase cancellation).

However, if you load a stereo rank of samples in stereo but route them to a mono audio device channel (by selecting a mono audio device channel for a mixer bus) then the two stereo channels will be mixed together equally in real-time solely as they're sent to that mono device channel. (If you have any sends to master/intermediate mix buses enabled from the mixer bus then the sends will retain the original stereo field, even if a mono audio device channel is selected for the bus.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

Re: What happens to stereo samples sent to a mono bus?

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 9:06 am

Perfect -- thanks!

Return to Technical support