It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

Auto-detect stepper#10 and above

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

hotfingers

Auto-detect stepper#10 and above

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 2:02 pm

I've not previously had occasion to use the stepper, but now I want to set up the launchpad to trigger the first 32 stepper names, thus enabling direct access as well as up/down stepper movement.

The manual suggests that this is possible, but every time I set the current frame as 10 or above and try to auto-detect the lit button, it sets it as though I'm still on base 0 i.e auto-detecting for '10' appears to programme '0'.

I also tried to set this manually, but only the first 10 buttons appear, as in the large registration pane.

No doubt I'm missing something obvious, but a pointer would be most welcome.

HW5
MacPro
OS Catalina
Roderick Elms

IainStinson

Re: Auto-detect stepper#10 and above

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 2:16 pm

If you want to set a piston to trigger a stepper frame, you can use the Combination stepper (all) large control panel via View | Large control panels ... from the menu and right click on the button in the panel for the stepper frame you wish to trigger (eg. Frame 30) and use auto-detect to assign a piston on your console to operate this button. (HW 7 Manual page 113 and following).

Iain

mdyde

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 2:37 pm

Hello Roderick,

To add to Iain's reply (thanks, Iain), the capability to have more than 10 stepper trigger pistons only exists in Hauptwerk v6 onwards, so if you're using v5 you'd need to upgrade (current version =v7) to be able to do what you're hoping for.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

hotfingers

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 3:08 pm

Hello Martin, thank you (and Iain) for your thoughts.

This clearly explains my failure! Can I take it that there's no other way to accomplish this in v.5? I assume that if I use regular generals, there's no way to advance through or back?

Thanks,

Roderick
Roderick Elms

mdyde

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 4:22 am

Thanks, Roderick.

hotfingers wrote:Can I take it that there's no other way to accomplish this in v.5?

Correct, I'm afraid.

hotfingers wrote:I assume that if I use regular generals, there's no way to advance through or back?

Also correct.
Best regards, Martin.

hotfingers

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 4:31 am

At least I'm getting some things right! Thank you, Martin.
Roderick Elms

hotfingers

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 11:57 am

Hi Martin – I've upgraded to HW VII, However, I still don't seem able to directly address a stepper frame using auto-detected midi from the launchpad, at least, not above '9'. I don't see a specific reference to this in the manual. Am I missing something? Might you be able to clarify the process and which button I should be right-clocking on?
Thanks.
Roderick Elms

mdyde

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 12:42 pm

Hello Roderick,

Thanks very much for buying the upgrade.

This is what you'd need to do:

- Make sure that the "Combination stepper (all)" large control panel is open, e.g. via "View | Large floating control panels ..." from the menu.

- Right-click on each of the "Trigger cued: xx0", xx1, ..., xx9 buttons in turn, selecting "Clear all (for all organs ... and also for this organ)", so as to clear any existing MIDI/Launchpad button assignments that you might have made to those virtual pistons.

- Now instead auto-detect your 32 Launchpad buttons to the "Trigger cued: x00", x01, ..., x31 buttons.

You should then find that as you advance the stepper frame number it steps through those buttons in sequence, and that you can use them to jump directly to any of frames x00 to x31.

The "Registration menu: combination stepper: Instead using the stepper as a basic ‘simple stepper’ which steps sequentially through a set of general pistons" subsection in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 113-114 in the current v7.0.0 version) also covers using the stepper in that way.
Best regards, Martin.

hotfingers

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 1:00 pm

Thank you, Martin. for some reason, I'd not managed to find that section in the v.7 manual – apologies.
BTW – would still love a sustain pedal option :)
Roderick
Roderick Elms

mdyde

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 1:03 pm

Thanks, Roderick. You're very welcome. (Adding a 'master' sustain pedal is still logged as an enhancement request.)
Best regards, Martin.

hotfingers

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 1:36 pm

Many thanks for the reassurance regarding the sustainer. Not uncommon of course – at least to the theatre organ fraternity. For many years, there was one on the Compton in Maida Vale Studio One.

Incidentally, I just installed HW 7 on the MacBook Pro (2011) running Sierra, and my first impressions are that it's running fine. I'm aware that the stated minimum is High Sierra – thought it worth mentioning.
Roderick Elms

mdyde

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 1:56 pm

Thanks, Roderick. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support