It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:06 am

Cannot get Portland Rosales to sound on new Mac mini

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Romanos

Cannot get Portland Rosales to sound on new Mac mini

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 10:16 am

Greetings all,
I'm thoroughly stumped.

I recently acquired a (new to me) 2018 Mac mini with 64gb ram to become a dedicated HW machine since my old iMac is so old now that certain programs literally will not run on it anymore.

I've installed HW7, and so far, the SP Claviorganum and Freisach load and sound through my Motu M4 just fine. I had an issue installing the Billerbeck, but it was because I had forgotten to also download the demo samples. Regardless, the clan and Friesach sound out channels 1&2 into my headphones just fine.

The Rosales, however, will not produce any sound. But it loads. When the Billerbeck wasn't happy, I would get an error message telling me there were missing packages. With the Rosales, everything is loading up just fine, and if I press the Grand Jeu button and play notes, the polyphony count will go up on the meter... But I simply cannot figure out how to route the sound to get it to come out.

I've checked my mixer presets and they all appear the same between the Rosales and Freisach. This is why I'm so confused. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be most appreciative. I'm pulling my hair out here and so far I haven't been able to find anything in the manual to help me decode the mystery. Jiri helped me diagnose the Billerbeck issue, but this one is a stumper.

mdyde

Re: Cannot get Portland Rosales to sound on new Mac mini

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 10:25 am

Hello James,

I have no experience with Sonus Paradisi's Portland Rosales sample set, I'm afraid, but note that macOS' audio drivers may not work properly (resulting in no audio) if macOS is short of free RAM.

Try temporarily setting all ranks to load in mono, just as a quick test to see whether keeping more free solves it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Romanos

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 10:27 am

Thanks for your reply.

It is a most curious thing. It did glitch at one point early on, where when I would load that set in particular, ALL sound on the system (from safari or whatever else) would then cease. What's strange though, is that I have 9gb of free ram out of 64 as configured, and on my old machine I could cram that down to only 2gb free and still keep safari open.

My most recent attempt at loading a few minutes ago resulted in a mute organ, however I can immediately load something else, and it sounds just fine, which I wouldn't expect if the audio drivers had crashed outright.

mdyde

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 10:32 am

Thanks, James.

Even if you have 9 GB free, I'd still recommend trying loading in mono, just to make sure. Also, reboot the Mac before doing so, since once macOS has been 'low' on RAM and can misbehave in strange ways with regard to audio.
Best regards, Martin.

Romanos

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 11:19 am

Well, sure enough... loading it again in lower resolution with 29gb of free ram and it plays just fine. So it must be this quirk of macOS. (And that's even without a restart.)

I know I can load it 20bit now, although I sure was hoping to jump to 24bit since I've upped my ram to 64gb. :?

mdyde

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 12:28 pm

Thanks, James.

Glad to hear it's resolved anyway.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support