It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 am

Creating desktop icons

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Antoni Scott

Creating desktop icons

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 11:06 am

My Version IV had four Hauptwerk desktop icons. Version VII has only one. How do I add at least one more, possible three more ?
Antoni

mdyde

Re: Creating desktop icons

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 1:02 pm

Hello Antoni,

All four desktop icons get created automatically whenever the Hauptwerk v7 installer is runs (as they have done since v2). Since Francois installed v7 for you, perhaps he deleted the other three icons to try to avoid any confusion. However, even if the desktop shortcuts (icons) have been deleted, you should still be able to find them via the 'Hauptwerk virtual pipe organ" submenu within the Windows Start Menu. (The Windows Start Menu can be found at the very bottom-left of your screen.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

micdev

Site Admin

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 1:30 pm

Thanks Martin...

Antony, indeed it was to avoid confusion and as explained with Hauptwerk 7 we usually setup various Mixers when we want to have different audio configuration (for example, for surround, non surround, dry sample sets with added reverb etc.)
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Antoni Scott

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 2:51 pm

Hello Martin / Francois:
Yes, I agree I do get confused sometimes. I will follow the directions and see if I can find them. Thankyou.

Antoni

You should still be able to find them via the 'Hauptwerk virtual pipe organ" submenu within the Windows Start Menu. (The Windows Start Menu can be found at the very bottom-left of your screen.)

Antoni Scott

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 7:56 pm

Martin/Francois:
I was able to locate the Alt Config Icons in the Hauptwerk Sub Menu in the Windows Start Menu. I dragged and dropped three of them to my Desktop. When I double clicked on one, I got a "warning" message. Please check your audio config and adjust or set to defaults. On my Version IV it just allowed me to access my sample sets. What should I do ? I don't want to change anything without knowing what I am doing.
Antoni

mdyde

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 4:29 am

Hello Antoni,

Do you mean that when you try to launch that 'alt config' configuration (desktop shortcut) you receive this warning?:

"Warning: some of your Hauptwerk v2/v3/v4 settings couldn't be migrated exactly to v5+'s equivalents. Please check your audio configuration via the 'General settings | Audio ...' screens and adjust it if desired, or reset it to defaults then re-configure it as you wish."

If so, am I right in understanding that you currently only use a single stereo output from Hauptwerk (e.g. a pair of headphones, or a single stereo pair of speakers, as opposed to multiple pairs of speakers, for example)?

I imagine that when Francois set the PC up for you he probably restored a backup of your previous settings from your old Mac running v4, some of which in that 'alt config' are presumably no longer compatible on your current system. However, if you only use a single pair of headphones/speakers anyway then it's easy: we can simply reset your audio settings to defaults in that configuration, since Hauptwerk's default audio settings are appropriate for a single pair of headphones/speakers. (You would potentially then just need to select your audio device and maybe also its pair of channels).
Best regards, Martin.

Antoni Scott

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 8:30 am

Hello Martin:
Yes, you are correct that the warning message that appeared when I double clicked the alternate config Icon is as described.

Also you are correct when you say that I only use headphones, but I also use a single subwoofer.

Instead of the old 8 channel Presonus Sound Card, I now have a 4 channel Focusrite sound card. Two of the four outputs go to my Presonus HP4 headphone pre-amp (recommended by Bret Milan back in 2008) and the other two outputs go to my subwoofer.

I also received an email response from Francois (because I was able to attach a JPEG image of the actual screenshot warning) , to which he replied that I could say OK without any concerns. After I said OK another warning came up offering three choices:
You can either:
Cancel Launching Hauptwerk
Mark the Missing devices as temporarily offline
Clear MIDI settings for all control that used the missing MIDI ports

The last two are filled in on the screen,

Perhaps I should contact Francois as I don't want to clear anything MIDI related until I know what I am doing.
Antoni

mdyde

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 9:09 am

Thanks, Antoni.

Yes -- especially if you also want to retain the MIDI settings within that configuration from your old v4 Mac installation, then it may be best to see whether Francois would be able to help set it up for you, since some migration steps would be needed (deselecting the Mac's old [off-line] MIDI port[s] and instead selecting the new one[s] on your PC within the correct row[s], and also selecting the appropriate channels on the audio mixer for your headphones and subwoofer, or alternatively copying your current settings from the primary configuration using backup/restore in advanced mode).
Best regards, Martin.

Antoni Scott

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 5:55 pm

Hello Martin:
Other than the new computer from Francois, the only thing that is different is the Focusrite Sound Card that replaced the PreSonus sound card and the Ilok dongle. I was not able to get the Alt Fig icons to work. A sample set appeared on my monitor , but the AutoDetect feature would not allow me to select a keyboard.
I'm not sure what is different, but my Version IV alt fig icons didn't need setting up. I just clicked on them and did what changes I wanted to do to a sample set.
Antoni

mdyde

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 5:52 am

Hello Antoni,

The four configurations (desktop shortcuts) have independent MIDI and audio settings, in 7, just as they did in v4. (v7 is no different with regard to those four configurations -- the only reason that you didn't have the icons for them on your new PC's desktop was that Francois deleted them because he thought you weren't using the alternate configurations, so as to avoid potential for confusion.)

If I understand correct you want to keep/transfer their existing MIDI settings from your old v4/Mac/PreSonus system to your new v7/Windows/Focusrite system, which is possible, but a little technical. I'll speak to Francois to see what he thinks would be best.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 6:26 am

Hello Antoni,

I understand from Francois that you've also sent him several emails in the past few hours about getting your alternate configurations transferred/set up, so I'll leave you to discuss that with Francois.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support