It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

hw5 to hw7

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Owen Jones

hw5 to hw7

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 2:01 pm

The little app which makes the assigning. of the keyboards and pedals a simple action has disappeared, all that comes up now is a small display with instructions but it doesn't do anything. I will have to download the hw7 user manual, is it available and where can I get a copy?
It also wiped out the P450, I tried to reload it and HW7 spat the dummy, however, all the other Paramount organs loaded.

IainStinson

Re: hw5 to hw7

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 3:13 pm

You can find the documentation at
https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/

A copy of the manual is installed with the software. You can read it from the main menu help function.

Iain

Owen Jones

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 1:21 am

Just tried this again, doesn't do anything, Hw5 used to respond to this.

mdyde

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 4:07 am

Hello Owen,

Thanks very much for upgrading to v7.

Owen Jones wrote:The little app which makes the assigning. of the keyboards and pedals a simple action has disappeared, all that comes up now is a small display with instructions but it doesn't do anything.

Could you clarify what you're referring to by that "little app which makes the assigning. of the keyboards and pedals a simple action"?

In Hauptwerk v7 (exactly the same as in v5 or v4), to auto-detect a MIDI keyboard/pedalboard to a virtual keyboard you simply right-click on the relevant virtual keyboard, select "Auto-detect MIDI ..." from the menu, then follow the on-screen instructions to press the highest and lowest keys on your MIDI keyboard, etc.:

AutoDetectKeyboard.jpg

N.B. Whenever auto-detecting anything you need to be particularly careful not to touch any other MIDI controls (e.g. expression pedals), since if MIDI messages are received from other controls then it might prevent Hauptwerk from being able to identify the relevant MIDI messages properly.

There's no difference at all in the way that Hauptwerk v7 auto-detects keyboards, compared to v5.

Owen Jones wrote:It also wiped out the P450, I tried to reload it and HW7 spat the dummy

I'm not sure what you mean by 'wiped out the P450', but upgrading Hauptwerk from v5 to v7 won't in itself cause any organs to become uninstalled, nor lose any of your MIDI settings. If you need us to help with it, then please use "Help | Create a diagnostic file" and send it to us via:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/submit-ticket/

(I think you probably need to be logged into your account on MDA's on-line shop in order to be able to use that function.)

Francois will then be able to see what you did with Paramount 450, what happened, and what needs to be done to resolve it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Owen Jones

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 9:53 am

I click on the screen to assign each keyboard and the pedalboard "Autodetecting Midi settings" page 46 of the HW7 user manual.
Not sure what to do next, been working on this for hours. Is there a work-around?

Many thanks.

mdyde

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 10:45 am

Hello Owen,

When you right-click on the relevant virtual keyboard (for example, the Paramount 450's virtual Accompaniment keyboard's graphical keys), and you select "Auto-detect MIDI ..." from the menu you will see this screen:

AutoDetectKeyboard.jpg

When the screen is visible on your monitor, if you then follow the on-screen instructions to press the highest and lowest keys on your MIDI keyboard, being very careful not to touch anything else at all on your MIDI organ console except for the keys on its MIDI Accompaniment keyboard, the 'Done' button should become enabled.

Does that happen for you? I.e. when you do that exactly as above, does the 'Done' button become enabled?

(If not, then Hauptwerk either the MIDI console isn't sending MIDI messages to Hauptwerk for some reason, or some other controls on the MIDI console are also sending MIDI messages simultaneously, giving conflicting MIDI messages.)
Best regards, Martin.

Owen Jones

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 10:59 am

No, nothing happens, if I can't get it to work, I will have to back to HW5, pity.

mdyde

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 12:28 pm

Hello Owen,

Specifically, by 'nothing happens' do you mean :

a) That you *do* see the above window, and:

b) That when then pressing the highest and lowest keys on your MIDI keyboard the 'Done' button on that window *doesn't* become enabled?:

AutoDetectKeyboard2.jpg

(Going back to Hauptwerk v5 wouldn't help you, since there's no difference between v5 and v7 with regard to auto-detection of keyboards.)
Best regards, Martin.

Owen Jones

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 2:35 pm

Got me foxed. i have used HW since 2006, never had this problem before. At the moment I cannot play the organ.
I follow the instructions and nothing happens; "Done" stays greyed out, so I press cancel.

The console is sending out midi messages, in OctoFlex is allowing "input test" and everything is working in there, even so maybe there is something wrong in that area, I will keep investigating.

Thanks for your emails.

NormBailey

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 4:22 pm

Hi Owen,
If you are still using your MOTU midi interface make sure the drivers are installed and working.
In Hauptwerks “General Settings Dropdown Menu” select “midi port” .Make sure the input and outputs for the MOTU are ticked.
If you have plugged your MOTU into a different USB port or upgraded Windows, Windows may have assigned it a new address.
You may find in the Hauptwerk MIDI port setting two MOTU devices the old one ticked and the new one unticked. Just exchange the ticks between the old and new.

mdyde

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 5:38 am

Hello Owen,

To add to Norm's reply (thanks, Norm), I'd also suggest:

- Shut the computer down and turn everything off at the mains, including the computer, your MIDI console, any USB hub(s), your audio/MIDI interfaces, etc.

- Wait 15 seconds or so, then start it all up again.

- Load the Paramount 450.

- Make sure that the "Audio, MIDI and Performance" large control panel is visible (e.g. via "View | Large floating control panels".

- Press some keys on one of your MIDI console's keyboards (e.g. the Accompaniment). As you do so you should see one (and only one) of the green 'Console MIDI IN' channel number virtual LEDs (1-16) flash on the control panel. (The non-numbered green virtual LED will flash too, which is fine, but only one of the numbered LEDs should flash, indicating the MIDI channel on which MIDI messages are being received.)

If one (and only one) of those numbered green virtual LEDs flashes then it indicates that your MIDI console is successfully sending MIDI messages on a single MIDI channel to the computer.

Does that happen for you?
Best regards, Martin.

Owen Jones

Re: Creating desktop icons

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 6:21 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Antoni,

The four configurations (desktop shortcuts) have independent MIDI and audio settings, in 7, just as they did in v4. (v7 is no different with regard to those four configurations -- the only reason that you didn't have the icons for them on your new PC's desktop was that Francois deleted them because he thought you weren't using the alternate configurations, so as to avoid potential for confusion.)

If I understand correct you want to keep/transfer their existing MIDI settings from your old v4/Mac/PreSonus system to your new v7/Windows/Focusrite system, which is possible, but a little technical. I'll speak to Francois to see what he thinks would be best.

Thankyou.

mdyde

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 6:27 am

Thanks, Owen.

[I think you accidentally posted your last reply in the wrong topic, so I've moved it here.]
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 7:53 am

P.S. If your MIDI console's Accompaniment manual has real (separate) 2nd-touch key contacts, which send on a separate MIDI channel from its main key contacts, then two MIDI channel green LEDs may flash simultaneously (instead of just one), which is fine in principle.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support