It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:28 am

Cache file problem

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Artorg

Cache file problem

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 10:44 pm

I have a random, recurring problem with one of my sample sets, Friesach (Producer: Piotr Grabowski). I have successfully installed, loaded and played the organ but often, after days or even weeks of playing without problems, when I attempt to load the organ in Hauptwerk I receive an error message that the format of the cache file is invalid or unsupported (Error: 4916). The error does not occur immediately upon loading, only after between 20% to 70% of the cache file has been loaded. This problem only occurs with the Friesach sample set on my system; I don't have similar problems with any other sample set that I use (e.g. Lavender Audio Hereford XL-67, SonusParadisi Aeolian-Skinner Op. 1301, CLR University of Redlands Casavant). The problem occurred occasionally with HWV6 but now much more frequently since upgrading to HWV7.

My Hauptwerk system (V7) runs on an INTEL NUC with a Core i7 CPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB free space remaining on the SSD hard-drive.

I have tried the following actions without any effect on the problem:
All updates to Windows, the SSD firmware and drivers have been applied.
The MD5 checksum for the Friesach organ download file is correct.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the organ.
Francois Ratte and Piotr Grabowski have both suggested that the SSD is failing but every utility program that I have run to evaluate the SSD function reports that it is operating properly.
I have renamed the Freisach organ cache file several times in order to force a new cache file to be written to a different areas of the SSD, without effect.

I'm hoping that someone on this forum may be able to tell me what's going on and how to correct it.

Thanks,
Gary C.

mdyde

Re: Cache file problem

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 4:53 am

Hello Gary,

My first thought too would be an erratic SSD fault,but your tests would seem almost to have eliminated that possibility.

Some other things to check:

- Virus scanners occasionally cause problems like that, by doing background scans of files and incorrectly identifying patterns of bytes in them as being viruses ('false positives') which they try to clean. Try keeping the computer fully disconnected from the Internet, and with any virus scanners fully disabled, as well as anything else that might be trying to scan files in the background, such as Windows drive indexing or Windows Defender.

- Make sure the sample set isn't at risk of over-filling the RAM, which might cause things running on the PC to misbehave, e.g. leading to data corruption.

- Test the RAM thoroughly.

- I suppose it's conceivable that when reading that particular cache something could be working a bit harder and erratically causing some hardware (e.g. the SSD or a solder joint) to misbehave due to a component (e.g. CPU or SSD) getting hotter or running at a higher/boosted clock speed. Just as a test, try reducing the clock speed a bit and disabling turbo boost, etc.

- Try (re-)installing the latest version of iLok License Manager for good measure ( https://ilok.com/ ). If using an iLok dongle, maybe try attaching it to a USB port directly on the PC if possible. (However, if Hauptwerk loses communication with the iLok system when loading from cache then it would specifically report a specific licensing error anyway -- I just tested it, and also checked the source code.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Artorg

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 10:54 am

Thanks for the additional suggestions, Martin. I'll give them a try.

mdyde

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 11:10 am

Thanks, Gary.

P.S. Also check your virus scanner's log, and Windows' logs, to see whether they give any clue.
Best regards, Martin.

Artorg

PostTue May 03, 2022 11:12 pm

Martin,

Thanks for pointing me to the virus scanner (Webroot) as a potential source of the problem. I disabled it (keeping the computer disconnected from the Internet, of course) almost a month ago and haven't had any problems with the cache file since.

Thanks again,
Gary

mdyde

PostWed May 04, 2022 3:45 am

Thanks, Gary. Excellent. You're very welcome. In case it's useful: I've always used McAfee or Norton, and neither of those two have caused problems with cache files so far.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support