It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:58 am

iLok not working on new cloned setup

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

hotfingers

iLok not working on new cloned setup

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 3:02 pm

I have just installed a clone of my old MacBook Pro (2011) onto a newer MBP (2018). The old MBP ran HW7 (Sierra) fine using the iLok.

HW starts to open on the new MCP (Catalina), but then throws up the licensing dialogue saying 'Activation is Required'.

iLok Manager shows the iLok present and bearing the HW7 authorisation. Is there something that may need updating?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Roderick Elms

IainStinson

Re: iLok not working on new cloned setup

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 6:13 pm

Do you use a dongle or the cloud for iLOK?
Was the clock correct on the old machine when you last used the iLOK manager and HW.?
Is the clock correct on the new machine?
If iLOK thinks the times between usage are inconsistent, it can (mistakenly) ‘think’ you are trying to tamper with the licences.
Change for daylight savings clock changes between the usage on the two machines could cause the times to appear inconsistent.
From an Internet connect machine, with the current version of iLOK manager, you could try synchronising your iLOK usb with your iLOK account.

Iain

mdyde

PostWed Apr 06, 2022 3:34 am

Hello Roderick,

To add to Iain's reply (thanks very much, Iain), after checking that the clock is correct, with the new Mac connected to the Internet, please also try (re-)installing the latest version of iLok License Manager ( https://ilok.com/ ), then launching it, then logging in within it, then synchronising licences within it if needed.

It might be that the iLok system needs to be re-synchronised as a security measure if it detects that the OS installation has been cloned (since the iLok system itself also technically supports computer-locked licensing, even though we don't use that for Hauptwerk).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

hotfingers

PostWed Apr 06, 2022 4:03 am

Thanks for your thoughts. To clarify:

Just the dongle, used locally
All machines set to auto-time set and reading the same
I used iLok Manager to synchronise
HW still won't open, but does so on the original MBP and the MacPro.

Maybe I need to do a fresh install of HW7, rather than use the version which came over with the clone?

Thanks.
Roderick Elms

mdyde

PostWed Apr 06, 2022 4:56 am

Hello Roderick,

By what means did you 'clone' your original Mac to your new one? For example, did you use some partition imaging software to make a byte-for-byte image of the main OS partition on the previous Mac, then restore it on the new one?

Or do you just mean that when installing macOS on your new Mac you used the macOS installer's function to transfer your settings and applications from another Mac? (I have never yet seen a Mac installation on which the latter has worked properly, without then needing to reformat the Mac and set everything up again from scratch, although perhaps it does if all one ever uses is Apple's own applications; I imagine it may have special logic in for migrating them between machines.)
Best regards, Martin.

hotfingers

PostWed Apr 06, 2022 5:03 am

Hi Martin – sorry I should have said ...

I used SuperDuper, which I always use for backups – this should be byte-for-byte. However, I imagine this is the issue. It's always worked flawlessly before, but I could just have been unlucky.

Either way, I think the simplest option is simply to reinstall HW!
Roderick Elms

mdyde

PostWed Apr 06, 2022 5:13 am

Thanks, Roderick.

I don't think solely reinstalling Hauptwerk would actually make any difference to the error you're getting, which is an iLok (licensing) error. The only file relevant to that which is part of the Hauptwerk installation is the Hauptwerk executable itself, and I very much doubt that file would be corrupted. (Running the Hauptwerk installer would also potentially have the beneficial effect of installing the best-AVX-optimised executable for the new Mac, though.)

Unfortunately, if (re-)installing the latest version of iLok License Manager and re-syncrhonising its iLok licenses hasn't solved it, I rather suspect you might instead need to do a fresh install of macOS on the new Mac. Maybe there are other macOS components that need to be different between the two Macs, given that they're of significantly different vintages.
Best regards, Martin.

hotfingers

PostWed Apr 06, 2022 6:03 am

Thanks for your thoughts, Martin.

I guess I must be lucky, as reinstalling fixed the issue. Similarly, unlucky in that the clone didn't work as expected! Maybe just a fluke on this occasion. Reinstalling all the organs now.

Best wishes,

Roderick
Roderick Elms

mdyde

PostWed Apr 06, 2022 6:14 am

Thanks, Roderick.

Excellent! In that case, I think somehow the Hauptwerk executable must indeed have become corrupted during the transfer. Anyway, glad to hear it was easily resolved.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support