It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:16 am

Audfio inteface error after using for a while HW7

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

hotfingers

Audfio inteface error after using for a while HW7

PostSun Apr 10, 2022 2:48 am

I am having an issue which may be linked to that described elsewhere [url]https://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17986&p=135600&hilit=coreaudio#p135276[/[/url] although it's not quite the same -

I have just set up HW7 on a MacBook Pro 2018, running Mojave with 32gB RAM and a 1TB SSD. The process was totally smooth – HW found and happily used a Scarlett USB interface.

However, after a while of running Peterborough (and also apparently a period of inactivity, though I'm not sure that is related) I get the same message as described elsewhere 'Could not stop CoreAudio audio device …' . I have to reboot and start again.

This is not an option in a live concert or recording. Also, if the cure is to load a smaller sample, then that is also not appropriate.

Further thoughts would be appreciated.

Roderick
Roderick Elms

mdyde

Re: Audfio inteface error after using for a while HW7

PostSun Apr 10, 2022 4:18 am

Hello Roderick,

That error message means that the audio driver has lost communication with the audio interface.

First, as a test to try to determine whether the problem is due to macOS having insufficient free RAM (which often does make macOS' audio stop working properly), please try:

- Reboot the computer.

- Load St. Anne's (which doesn't use much memory).

- Leave the computer untouched for a few hours.

- Unload St. Anne's.

If you then still get the same error then I think the problem will be that macOS has put the audio driver (or one of its components, or some other USB device) to sleep, resulting in the connection between the driver and the interface being lost. In that case, please:

- Disable macOS 'App Nap' globally: https://osxdaily.com/2014/05/13/disable ... -mac-os-x/ .

- Make sure that any available power-saving options are disabled in macOS' system preferences. In particular, don't allow the Mac to go to sleep, and disable any other options relating to things being put to sleep.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

hotfingers

PostSun Apr 10, 2022 4:37 am

Thank you, Martin. I’ll give this a go. I should have said that all power-saving features are disabled.

Best, Roderick
Roderick Elms

hotfingers

PostSun Apr 10, 2022 1:52 pm

This is very strange. Before I wrote, I repeated the process of re-booting and opening HW many times – always with the error popping up after a while.

Following our earlier chat, I did what you suggested with St Anne's and there were no problems. I unloaded it and loaded Peterborough (incidentally, that doesn't remotely fill the available 32gB of RAM). There were no problems. I then slept the computer several times and went back into HW – all working fine and no messages.

The only way I could get the error to recur was by opening MainStage, playing a little and closing it. Then HW produced the error. However, that I absolutely didn't do that earlier, unless something else I'm unaware momentarily of took charge of the interface.

Maybe I should make that suggested change using Terminal – regardless.

I plan to keep up this testing before committing to using the system in a concert – all very strange. I don't like not having an answer!
Roderick Elms

mdyde

PostSun Apr 10, 2022 1:58 pm

Thanks, Roderick.

I'd definitely recommend making that change in Terminal anyway, since by default it's quite common that other driver/USB-related components get put to sleep resulting in active audio driver-to-device connections also getting dropped indirectly.
Best regards, Martin.

larason2

PostSat May 07, 2022 8:22 pm

I'm getting this problem on my Mac Studio as well, and disabling App Nap like suggested didn't help. The audio driver for my aging UR22 audio interface keeps crashing. It appears to be related to demands on the driver, more likely if using added reverb, more likely the more channels are loaded into RAM, more likely on big sets, affecting certain sets more than others. There's no problem if I connect the headset directly to the computer. I've ordered a replacement for the UR22, which worked just fine on my Intel mac (though to be honest this problem did appear from time to time, it was just a lot more rare). I'm also looking into getting a power conditioner to better protect my gear, and in case this is also related to what is happening (the power at my new home is definitely more unstable than the power we used to have, more lights flickering and so on).

hotfingers

Re: Audio inteface error after using for a while HW7

PostMon May 09, 2022 11:43 am

Interesting. I had thought the issue was resolved after disabling App Nap, but it still happens very occasionally, and I can't pinpoint why.

If I don't use an external midi interface, there doesn't ever seem to be a problem. If I plug in the Focusrite Scarlett then the problem occasionally recurs. I have plenty of spare RAM and the system is not taxed – I have the issue with small and large organs.

I can usually make the issue occur by going into sleep and then waking, but maybe that's to be expected.

I wondered whether it was OS related and reverted from Mojave to High Sierra, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference.
Roderick Elms

larason2

PostMon May 09, 2022 1:01 pm

Is your focusrite connected via USB? I’ve read a lot of modern macs handle USB funny, and even when it was the dominant mode of connecting peripherals, audio streams taxed USB quite a lot. I personally think it’s a problem with how the drivers were ported over to Mac. It never bothered me until it started happening a lot more with my new system! Here’s hoping the replacement interface works better. This time I got a Motu.

hotfingers

PostMon May 09, 2022 1:05 pm

Yes, USB. I won't use any wireless connections on the concert platform – I've heard of too many issues arising. Maybe I'm being overly cautious!

I'll be interested to hear whether the change of i/f makes a noticeable difference. I'll also try another to see.
Roderick Elms

larason2

PostFri May 13, 2022 4:45 pm

Well, I switched from my trusty 10 year old UR22 to a Motu 24Ao. I won’t be using all the channels for a long time, but I will eventually, so it made sense in the near term. I found the audio had a bit more detail, and was a bit more flat, so that’s a plus! It sounds a bit more diffuse, but I also have my Behringer Xenyx 1002fx in the signal chain to use headphones, so I think that is probably why. I’m afraid I still get audio glitches! They don’t crash the driver now though, so that’s an improvement! I have got my Furman power conditioner, but I haven’t tried it yet, so I will report back. I may also try an external port replicator in case it’s the T2 security chip/USB bug rearing it’s ugly head again.

I have read some users of the new Macbook pro have been having similar problems. When their driver crashes, it always references Core Audio, like when my UR22 crashes, so it may be a bug in the driver implementation. So I would avoid one of the new macs until Apple figures this out!

larason2

PostTue May 17, 2022 3:03 pm

I’m happy to report back that the power conditioner totally solved the problem! It’s a Furman PL8C. Not sure if you need one that expensive to fix it, but it sure worked for me! I played for over 15 minutes on two different big sets, and I didn’t get even one audio glitch. I guess power provision makes more of a difference than I thought!

mdyde

PostWed May 18, 2022 3:30 am

Excellent! Thanks for the update.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support