It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 am

No Audio

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

RODANDUNA

No Audio

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 2:46 am

Hi All, could I please get some help / advice as I can't get a peep out of the organ thanks. I have just set up a new hauptwerk 6 organ, using echo audiofire12 with 12 speakers & have windows 10 & Roland cakewalk interface, I started from scratch & I think I have the settings right but obviously something is not, If I sent a diagnostic file would this be of any use & where would I send it if that would be thw case? Thanks Rod Reynolds

mdyde

Re: No Audio

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 3:56 am

Hello Rod,

Are you sure you mean Hauptwerk v6? PACE's system shows that you have a licence for v5, and doesn't show any record of your iLok account also having installed v6 or v7 (e.g. as a trial). You can check the version you have installed via the "Help | About Hauptwerk" screen.

The current version of Hauptwerk is v7, which has some enhancements to make it easier to configure audio routing, and v5 is no longer officially supported, so if you actually installed v5 then I'd recommend first upgrading it to v7.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 4:51 am

My notes on setting up audio for HW 5 are still on my website at https://www.iainstinson.com/hauptwerk/
They were written for V5 but applicable to V6 and V7. As Martin has said V7 includes improvements to the usability of the audio system, and these are not taken into account in my notes.

BTW, have you tested that the audio devices work from one of the Windows media tools? I would do this just to check that the drivers etc work with your current version of Windows.

Iain

RODANDUNA

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 4:57 am

Thanks Ian Yes not sure how to do the testing as I am a bit of a novice Thanks Rpd

RODANDUNA

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 5:00 am

Thanks Martin yes I also have H/W 5 &6 my email address for the 6 is connvtpo631@gmail.com

RODANDUNA

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 6:04 am

Martin just to let you know I have 2 Ilok accounts Rod

mdyde

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 6:06 am

Thanks, Rod.

RODANDUNA wrote:I can't get a peep out of the organ thanks. I have just set up a new hauptwerk 6 organ

By that, do you mean that you have some organs (sample sets) which do produce audio successfully on that same Hauptwerk installation/configuration (i.e. running on the same computer, and when launching Hauptwerk via the same desktop shortuct), and that just one particular sample set isn't producing sound?

For example, if you load the St. Anne's organ, does it successfully produce sound for you?
Best regards, Martin.

RODANDUNA

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 6:28 am

Thanks Martin It matters not what sample set I use I have no audio

RODANDUNA

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 6:30 am

This is a new instalation so wonder if it is in the H/W settings

mdyde

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 6:44 am

Thanks, Rod.

Please check that you have your Echo Audiofire's ASIO driver selected as the audio device on the "General settings | Audio device and channels" screen. (If an entry isn't present for it in the drop-down list there then exit Hauptwerk and (re-)install the latest/final version of the Echo Audiofire driver, then reboot the computer, launch Hauptwerk, and try to select the entry again on the "General settings | Audio device and channels" screen.)

Does that solve it (with the St. Anne's organ loaded)?
Best regards, Martin.

RODANDUNA

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 8:06 am

Thanks Martin I do have it set to the audiofire 12 setting & it shows up the 12 channels, There is also another setting for audiofire 1-8 & this only shows one pair L & R channels & those defult pair of speakers play voices but not on every note played on the keyboard (plays 5 or 6 & then a gap of 3 or 4) but as soon as I go back to the correct setting for the ASIO audiofire 12 there is no sound If memory serves me correctly there are no new drivers for the echo audiofires for windows 10 but I think there are others using them on windows 10 with no real problems Thanks I will try again tomorrow Cheers Rod

mdyde

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 9:08 am

Thanks, Rod.

Please try:

- Exit Hauptwerk.

- Make sure that all available Windows updates are applied, for good measure.

- Re-install the latest version of the Echo Audiofire driver. (I understand that the Audiofire units were discontinued some years ago, and that no official Windows 10 driver was ever produced for them, but I believe at least some people had managed to get the Windows 7 version of the driver to work on Windows 10, so maybe you will be lucky.)

- Reboot the PC.

- Launch Hauptwerk via one of the "Hauptwerk (alt confg N)" desktop shortcuts (configurations) which you haven't used before (so that all of its settings will still be at their defaults).

- When prompted on the "General settings | Audio device and channels" screen, select the Audiofire's ASIO driver and OK the screen.

- Load St. Anne's. With default audio routing (as would be the case with default settings in a "Hauptwerk (alt confg N)" configuration that you hadn't previously used) all audio would be routed to channels 1 and 2 on the selected audio device (i.e. your Audiofire's ASIO driver).

- Turn on some stops by clicking on them, and click on some keys.

Do you then hear their sound through the speakers that are connected to channels 1 and 2 on your Audiofire? If not, there must be some problem within the audio driver, audio interface, audio cabling, or audio amplifiers/speakers.
Best regards, Martin.

RODANDUNA

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 6:39 pm

Thanks Martin I will give this a try today Rod

RODANDUNA

PostFri Apr 22, 2022 3:18 am

Hi Martin just an update, I updated the audiofire driver which was current anyway, & loaded the ASIO audiofire 12 in the grneral settings / audio device & channels, & as I had used the St Annes before I used the file to revert all Hauptwerk settings to defaults, then detected the keyboards & still no sound Sooooooo does that mean there is a problem in my hardware? Thanks Martin Cheers Rod

mdyde

PostFri Apr 22, 2022 4:00 am

Thanks, Rod.

Yes -- if you're still getting no sound after:

- Reverting all Hauptwerk settings to defaults, then:
- Relaunching the same configuration (desktop shortcut) within which you had reverted the settings to defaults, then:
- Selecting the Audiofire ASIO driver as Hauptwerk's audio device, then:
- Loading St. Anne's, then:
- Turning on some virtual stops by clicking on them, then:
- Clicking on some virtual keys

... then the problem must either be within the Audiofire ASIO driver, or the audio interface hardware, or the audio cabling, or the amplifiers/speakers [which are connected to output channels 1 and 2 on the Audiofire].

My first suspicion would be the Audiofire's ASIO driver, given that you're trying to use Windows 10, and Echo never released a Windows 10 driver for it.

To try to determine whether the problem is within the hardware or the ASIO driver you could try:

- Exit Hauptwerk.
- Right-click on the speaker icon near the right-hand side of the Windows Task Bar, and select "Open Sound settings".
- Select the Audiofire as the output device.
- Open and play a .wav file (e.g. in Windows Media Player) by double-clicking on it, or use your Web browser to try playing a video on Youtube, or something else that would cause Windows to play sound.

If you can hear the sound through your Audiofire then you know that the hardware must be (at least partly) working, so the problem will almost certainly be the Audiofire's ASIO driver. (Windows doesn't uses a different type of driver for its own sound output, whereas ASIO drivers are used for professional audio applications.)
Best regards, Martin.
Next

Return to Technical support