It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:42 am

Technical question about Alt Config

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Antoni Scott

Technical question about Alt Config

PostThu Jul 28, 2022 10:21 am

Since I switched from Version IV to VII, I wanted to make sure that making changes to a sample set in Alt Config 1, 2 or 3, will not affect the primary Hauptwerk sample set. For example, I would want to make changes to tuning, bightness and amplitude, as well as registration selections and not have them affect my original settings. Is that possible ?

I spend a lot of time customizing my "voicing" to suit my needs so I wanted to make sure that changes to the Alt Config's 1, 2 or 3 would not affect the original and have the option to play both as different organs.

Since I switched from IV to VII I have noticed a difference in the sound. Some of the pipework sounds closer, brighter and more realistic than in Version IV. It is almost as if I am playing an entirely new and different organ. That is not to criticize Version IV because in some cases the Version IV sound was different, not necessarily worse, not nevessarily better, just different. I wanted to be able to play both versions with the sound options to duplicate the earlier Version

Antoni

Antoni Scott

Alt Cofig 1

PostThu Jul 28, 2022 10:40 am

Is there any way to fix every other note not playing ? As I go up the scale, every second note is silent.
Antoni

mdyde

Re: Technical question about Alt Config

PostThu Jul 28, 2022 11:07 am

Hello Antoni,

(I've merged your two topics together, since they both relate to your use of the alternate configurations.)

Antoni Scott wrote:Since I switched from Version IV to VII, I wanted to make sure that making changes to a sample set in Alt Config 1, 2 or 3, will not affect the primary Hauptwerk sample set. For example, I would want to make changes to tuning, bightness and amplitude, as well as registration selections and not have them affect my original settings. Is that possible ?

I spend a lot of time customizing my "voicing" to suit my needs so I wanted to make sure that changes to the Alt Config's 1, 2 or 3 would not affect the original and have the option to play both as different organs

All settings (MIDI settings, audio settings/routing, preferences, etc.) and voicing are entirely independent between the four configurations, whereas combination sets are shared between them. (See also the "Understanding the configurations" section in the main Hauptwerk user guide [page 21 in the current v7.0.0 version] for more details).

Antoni Scott wrote:Since I switched from IV to VII I have noticed a difference in the sound. Some of the pipework sounds closer, brighter and more realistic than in Version IV. It is almost as if I am playing an entirely new and different organ. That is not to criticize Version IV because in some cases the Version IV sound was different, not necessarily worse, not nevessarily better, just different. I wanted to be able to play both versions with the sound options to duplicate the earlier Version

For that, see my reply to you from a few months ago here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20415#p153182

mdyde wrote:Given that you have v7 installed, you can actually compare v4.2-quality against v7-quality rather easily:

- On the "General settings | Audio device ..." screen, set the sample rate to 48 kHz (not 96 kHz, since v4 couldn't do 96 kHz).

- Load an organ.

- Go to the "Organ settings | Organ preferences | Audio engine" screen tab, and set the following two settings as follows:
--------- "Audio engine processing quality" = 'Lower'
--------- "Tremulant/wind supply/swell box/relay model quality" = 'Lower'
... then OK the screen. That will effectively give you v4.2-quality, since it uses the v4.2 audio engine quality, and v4.2 model quality. (Technically it's actually still slightly better than v4.2 could achieve, due to other minor quality/realism improvements.)

- Now go back to the "Organ settings | Organ preferences | Audio engine" screen tab again, and this time set the following two settings as follows:
--------- "Audio engine processing quality" = 'Higher'
--------- "Tremulant/wind supply/swell box/relay model quality" = 'Medium'
... then OK the screen. That will give you default v7-quality. (Technically, it's actually still slightly less than v7 can achieve, given that v7 can also use 96 kHz and the 'Higher' model quality.)

Antoni Scott wrote:Is there any way to fix every other note not playing ? As I go up the scale, every second note is silent.

That will occur if (within that 'alt config 1' configuration) you've set up your audio routing so that the rank(s) are routed to an audio group which contains *two* mixer buses, but you haven't selected a valid audio output device channel for one of those two mixer buses.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostThu Jul 28, 2022 11:09 am

wanted to make sure that making changes to a sample set in Alt Config 1, 2 or 3, will not affect the primary Hauptwerk sample set. For example, I would want to make changes to tuning, bightness and amplitude, as well as registration selections and not have them affect my original settings. Is that possible ?

The configurations (config0 to config3) are independent EXCEPT the combination settings which are common across the four configurations. You could use a different combination set for the same organ when played in one of alt configs.

Is there any way to fix every other note not playing ? As I go up the scale, every second note is silent.

If this is the case for the whole of the organ, I would suspect that the audio profile being used in the alt config is not the same profile being used by the normal config you use (config0). You should set the audio profile in the alt config to the same profile used for config0.

Iain

Antoni Scott

Alt Cofig 1

PostThu Jul 28, 2022 11:20 am

Is there any way to fix every other note not playing ? As I go up the scale, every second note is silent. This only happens on Alt Config 1, not 3.
Antoni

mdyde

PostThu Jul 28, 2022 11:21 am

Hello again Antoni,

Antoni Scott wrote:Is there any way to fix every other note not playing ? As I go up the scale, every second note is silent.

P.S. to add to my previous reply, and Iain's reply, within that configuration ('alt config 1') you could tick the 'reset rank routing' options on both of the following two screens in order to reset your audio routing back to defaults:

- General settings | General configuration wizard.
- Organ settings | Organ configuration wizard.

(Untick all of other 'reset' options on those screens, unless you specifically also want to reset other things too.)
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Jul 28, 2022 11:24 am

P.S.

Antoni Scott wrote:Is there any way to fix every other note not playing ? As I go up the scale, every second note is silent. This only happens on Alt Config 1, not 3.

I've merged the above new topic into this one too, since it duplicates your previous post above. (I guess that you'd didn't see my previous reply about it having been merged.)
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support