It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 am

Controller Change "digital" Swell control

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

greenfox4075

Controller Change "digital" Swell control

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 6:45 am

I am involved with a Theatre Organ console with a Z-tronics relay, and fairly recently added Z-tronics capture action and MIDI interface.
The MIDI interface sees every action of the console and can record it on a Johannus MIDI+ Sequencer to SD card, and replay a performance in detail.
I am able to copy these MIDI files from the SD card to my computer and have succeeded in linking all keyboards and all stops to activate their match or closest alternative on the Paramount 320 sample set.

I am hoping for advice as to how I can get the Console Swell Pedal information to be recognised in Hauptwerk?

The messages generated are not in the more common "analog" CC message format of 0-127.
They are a stepped "digital" Controller Change Message as follows:
The messages are on MIDI Channel 9, opening Main Chamber shade 1 (of 10) is 81-1, shade 2 is 81-2, shade 3 is 81-3...shade 10 is 81-10.
Closing the Main Chamber shades is, 80-10, 80-9,...80-1
Opening the Solo Chamber shades is MIDI Channel 9 81-11, 81-12, 81-13...81-20
Closing the Solo Chamber shades is, 80-20, 80-19,...80-11

While I have successfully used these Controller Change 81(on) 80(off) to control Stops, I have not yet seen a way I can have Hauptwerk see them as valid Swell information.
Has anyone worked through this?
Are there any suggestions?
(and no, using potentiometers is not an option)

Thank you

mdyde

Re: Controller Change "digital" Swell control

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 8:17 am

Hello greenfox4075,

That isn't a MIDI implementation that Hauptwerk itself supports for its virtual continuous controls (swell pedals, etc.), and there's no way solely within Hauptwerk that you could use that MIDI implementation to control them, I'm afraid.

If you're only aiming to play back those MIDI files into Hauptwerk then you could perhaps write a small utility computer program/script that pre-processes the MIDI files to translate those messages into standard varying MIDI CC messages (which Hauptwerk could understand). Or perhaps there's some utility software already in existence that could do it (but I don't know off-hand).

Failing that, you might be able to play the MIDI stream via some real-time MIDI translation software (e.g. perhaps something like Bome's MIDI Translator) or hardware, if you can find something suitable.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support