It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:52 am

Could not start audio buffer

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

chabflow

Could not start audio buffer

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 4:41 pm

Hello,

I got the problem, that the sound stopped while I was playing. I got an error message:
"Could not start audio buffer playback for DirdtSound device...
(Operating system message:, code -2004287478.)
Message code: 5115"

The message appears directly after the organ is loaded. I saved the Information in a diagnostic file and would have liked to send you, but I cannot find a way to attach it.

Can you please help me?

Wolfgang Bach

mdyde

Re: Could not start audio buffer

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 3:52 am

Hello Wolfgang,

To send a diagnostic file you need to attach it to a support ticket here:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/submit-ticket/

(I think you need to be logged into your account on MDA's website in order to be able to do that.)

As an aside, ASIO drivers are much better than DirectSound -- they give lower latencies and usually allow higher polyphony, and better resilience to audio glitches, and potentially allow multi-channel output where applicable. If you have a dedicated professional/semi-professional audio interface then it would normally have a manufacturer-supplied ASIO driver, so it's best to select that on the "General settings | Audio device" screen in Hauptwerk. If you don't currently have a dedicated audio interface (e.g. if you're just using the PC's built-in sound output) then you may find that the freeware ASIO4All driver works with it.

See also the "Performance tuning | Audio interface and drivers" section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (page 293 in the current v7.0 version) for that, and also the "Performance tuning | Other operating system and computer optimizations and diagnostics" section (pages 308-310) regarding troubleshooting audio/driver problems. For example, it's usually important to make sure that no other software (including Windows itself) is trying to play audio through the relevant audio interface at the same time that Hauptwerk's using it. Also, if it's a USB audio interface then make sure that the Windows power-saving options for putting USB devices to sleep are disabled (see half way down page 308), and that you don't try to plug in, or unplug, and audio, MIDI, or USB devices whilst Hauptwerk is running.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

chabflow

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 12:28 pm

Hello Martin, thanks for your quick answer. I feel like the problem is in my soundcard, since its impossible to run an audio - CD on my computer as well. And, the problem arouse while I was playing, so I din't change anything when the sound suddenly stopped. I rebootet 3 times yesterday without success. When I rebooted this morning, it worked, when I tried later it again didn't work.
My next step will be checking my sound card.
Best regards,
Wolfgang

mdyde

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 12:50 pm

Thanks, Wolfgang. Hope you manage to get it resolved easily.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support