It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 am

Light not turning on on Novation Launchpad MK2

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

TackYorita

Light not turning on on Novation Launchpad MK2

PostSun Aug 21, 2022 1:36 am

Hello,

I have been using Hauptwerk on MacMini and Novation Launchpad MK2 has been working properly with lights on.

I recently switched to Windows 11 Home version and upgraded to Hauptwerk v.7 and since then, I cannot get the lights to turn on on Launchpad.

Maybe the setting is not correct. Can you provide me with some guidance?

Thank you very much for your help.

David Baldwin

Re: Light not turning on on Novation Launchpad MK2

PostSun Aug 21, 2022 3:02 am

The first thing to check, does Windows recognise the Launchpad. You can see this using the Windows device manager. If that is OK, then check that the launchpad is selected for input and output in Hauptwerk.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

mdyde

PostSun Aug 21, 2022 4:16 am

Hello TackYorita,

If David's reply doesn't solve it (thanks very much, David), if you load St. Anne's as a test, and try to auto-detect one of its stops to one of the square buttons on the Launchpad, does that work properly? (If so, when auto-detecting, the auto-detection wizard should prompt you to select the desired Launchpad lamp colour.)

Or are you referring solely to auto-detecting the round buttons on the Launchpad (not the square ones)? (There was a minor bug in v7.0.0 whereby the round buttons on Launchpads wouldn't auto-detect. That was fixed for v7.0.1, but v7.0.1 hasn't been released publicly yet, although hopefully will be soon.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

TackYorita

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 12:19 am

Dear David and Martin,

Thank you very much for your advice.

I have just checked Windows Device Manager, and I was not able to find LaunchPad there. I am assuming I would find it under Universal Serial Bus controllers, is that correct. There are a number of USB Composite Devices found, built they do not specifically state LaunchPad.

Can you possibly provide me what I should do next?

Thank you very much for your support!

Best wishes,

Tack

mdyde

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 3:59 am

Hello Tack,

I'd suggest trying the following. (These steps refer to Windows 10, but I expect the process is the same on Windows 11):

- Exit Hauptwerk if it's running.

- Temporarily disconnect the Launchpad from the PC.

- Go to "Windows Settings | Update and Security" and check for and apply any available Windows updates.

- Reboot the PC.

- You don't need to install any of the bundled software that comes with a Novation Launchpad (Ableton, etc.), but if using a PC (Windows) the "Novation USB Driver" may possibly need to be installed ( https://downloads.novationmusic.com/nov ... nchpad-mk2 ), so install that.

- Now try connecting the Launchpad directly to a USB port on the PC (not via a USB hub, as a test to try to eliminate any possibility of hub incompatibility or insufficient power). The lights on the Launchpad should light up in a pattern briefly.

- Click on the Windows Start Menu and type "Device Manager". It should find a link to Device Manager. Click on that link to launch it. In Device Manager expand the "Sound, video and game controllers" node, and you should see a "Launchpad MK2" entry there, which indicates that Windows can see the device.

- Launch Hauptwerk. Hauptwerk should tell you that a new MIDI device has been found (your Launchpad), and ask you whether you want to enable it. Respond in the affirmative.

- Hauptwerk will then show you the "General settings | MIDI ports" screen. Make sure that the column with the word 'Launchpad' in it is ticked in one of the "Console MIDI IN ..." rows on the screen's "MIDI IN ports" tab and also in one of the "Console MIDI OUT ..." rows on the screen's "MIDI OUT ports" tab. OK the screen.

- Load the St. Anne's organ (for example).

- Try auto-detecting a virtual stop to one of the square buttons on the Launchpad, to verify that it's now working.
Best regards, Martin.

TackYorita

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 11:54 pm

Thank you so much for your help, Martin!

Your instruction evolved the issues! It could have simply been that I did not set output in the port setting.

Thanks gain for your kind support!

mdyde

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 3:14 am

Thanks very much, Tack. Excellent. You're welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support