It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:22 pm

Launchpad button 98 not working

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Blue Reflex

Launchpad button 98 not working

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 6:25 am

I am running Hauptwerk V7 with 2 Novation Launchpad mini Mk3 (Mk2 are no longer available). I am using both launchpads in program mode so all buttons should be usable.

When assigning launchpad buttons to Hauptwerk, the autodetect does not detect any buttons so I have had to manually register each button and assign the launchpad laps as well.

This works fine with all the buttons and lamps except button 98 (top row, furthest to the right). I have assigned it as novation CC on/off setting which work as expected with all the other buttons on the top row and the buttons on the right column. In addition, when I manually set for button 98 with the output lamp colors, the lamps work as expected when I press the lamp on/lamp off debugging keys in hauptwerk.

I have checked with other midi programs and the top rightmost button is detected as expected (CC98 at 127 when pressed, CC98 at 0 when released, all on channel 1).

I have tried reinstalling the drivers and using different usb cables and plugs, but this doesn't seem to help either.

mdyde

Re: Launchpad button 98 not working

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 8:00 am

Hello Blue Reflex,

Within the MIDI standard, MIDI CC number 98 represents part of a MIDI NRPN message:

http://www.philrees.co.uk/nrpnq.htm
https://www.midi.org/specifications-old ... ta-bytes-2

Hauptwerk supports NRPN and RPN messages, so it will interpret those MIDI CCs as being part of NRPN/RPN messages, and you won't be able to use those particular CC numbers by themselves (or a MIDI button that sends that particular message), I'm afraid.

Whilst Hauptwerk doesn't yet officially support Launchpad Mk3 models ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19704#p147751 ) I believe that some people do use them successfully with Hauptwerk, perhaps including auto-detection. If you dig around on the forum you might find some relevant topics. Usually, for use with Hauptwerk, one would simply use a Launchpad in its default mode, with no need of any Novation software running or being used to configure it (apart from having its driver installed). At least, that's the case with Mk1 and Mk2 models.

Note also that there was a minor bug in Hauptwerk v7.0.0 whereby the two rows of round buttons on Launchpads (which send MIDI CC messages) wouldn't auto-detect (but they would work if configured manually, or previously auto-detected from earlier versions):

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20240&p=151758#p151693

That was fixed for v7.0.1, but v7.0.1 hasn't been released publicly yet, although hopefully will be soon. If you'd like a temporary build with that fix then please send a message to Francois at Support. (I think you'd need to submit a support ticket to do that, which involved being logged into your account on MDA's website: https://www.hauptwerk.com/submit-ticket/ . Please also attach a diagnostic file to it, so that Francois can see which CPU type your computer has, and therefore which build you would need.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support