It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:32 am

Audio imbalance

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Antoni Scott

Audio imbalance

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 8:23 am

This question just refers to the Sonus Paradisi Zwolle sample set.
I'm don't understand why the volume of the Borstwerk Dulciaan and Regaal stops seem to be coming more out of my left headphone than the right headphone. It sounds like those two stops have their windchest to the left of the console. Do any other Zwolle owners have this issue (with Version VII only) as it did not appear on Version IV ?

I looked at the drop down menu for Brightness, Amplitude and Tuning and both stops have an L and an R that can be adjusted but both seem to still come more out of the left than the right. The drop down menu has dozens of options for adjusting things other than Brightness, Tuning and Amplitude. Is there an option to make the stop sound more centered ?

I thought at first that it was my headphones (AKG 701's) not being well balanced so I switched it out for a second AKG 701 I have. No difference, the issue is the same. The Focusrite sound card has a Left/ Right adjustment which I moved just a bit but is just makes one side louder than the other side, the Dulciaan and Regaal still sound a bit left.

I know that this left sounding issue was not present with Version IV so maybe Version VII Zwolle changed things or maybe it is something else. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mdyde

Re: Audio imbalance

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 8:38 am

Hello Antoni,

I don't have experience with the Zwolle sample set myself, but I'm sure it won't be due to any fault/difference between v7 and v4 -- it will instead be due to some difference in your settings, given that you have the two versions installed on different computers, with independent settings.

In v7 I'd suggest:

- Load St. Anne's, and verify that it sounds as it should in terms of stereo image.
- Use "File | Backup ..." to create a backup and save it somewhere you can easily find it (such as to your desktop), in case you want to get your settings back to this point in time.
- Now load the Zwolle.
- Use "Organs settings | Reset all voicing and surround/3D panning", and click Yes when asked for confirmation. (It will start making an automatic backup, which you can cancel if you like, since you just made a backup anyway above.)

Does that cause it to sound as it should, in terms of stereo balance?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Antoni Scott

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 8:51 am

Hello Martin:
Thankyou for that information. I forgot to add that this left sounding issue appears in Alt Config 2, and 3 not in the default Hauptwerk icon. I'll try what you suggested. It might be a 3D panning difference.

Antoni

Reset all voicing and surround/3D panning"

mnailor

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 9:13 am

The L and R Mono rank pair for one stop is SP's way of working with modeled tremulants. I've also noticed that SP's L/R ranks now seem to lean to one side, and not just on Zwolle.

I don't know what's happening there or when it started, but I haven't gotten a Zwolle update, so it might be something about the old panning info that HW interprets differently now. Just speculating...

I'm not using 3D panning or Alt configs for the affected organs. I've also noticed that N. D. Metz pedal ranks seem to speak only on one side, not something I heard in previous years. Still, without an older HW copy, I can't claim to have real evidence here, just what I seem to remember.

Antoni Scott

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 9:30 am

To Mnailor:
It looks like Martin nailed it. Problem solved. I probably screwed something up with my endless editing of stops, brightness, tuning and amplitude to improve the audio experience- who knows. In the beginning (Crumhorn Labs) , things were complicated, then with the next generation, "Auto-Detect" simplified things immensly, now we are up to Version VII, better for sure, but even more complicated for computer-illiterate individuals such as myself. Fortunately, we have additional experts like Francois Ratte.

Since I don't read instructions well, the user manual is of little help to me, but I do print out, and file in a 3 ring binder, every response that Martin Dyde sends me, and he ALWAYS responds to my questions.

If it happens again, I'll know what to do.

mdyde

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 11:16 am

Thanks, Antoni. Excellent.

mnailor wrote:The L and R Mono rank pair for one stop is SP's way of working with modeled tremulants. I've also noticed that SP's L/R ranks now seem to lean to one side, and not just on Zwolle.

I don't know what's happening there or when it started, but I haven't gotten a Zwolle update, so it might be something about the old panning info that HW interprets differently now. Just speculating...

I'm not using 3D panning or Alt configs for the affected organs. I've also noticed that N. D. Metz pedal ranks seem to speak only on one side, not something I heard in previous years. Still, without an older HW copy, I can't claim to have real evidence here, just what I seem to remember.

For good measure, I've just set up the MDA Notre Dame de Metz in both v4 and v7, and compared them (with default voicing in each case), and the stereo balance/panning of the Pedale ranks sounds exactly the same to me in both versions. Some of the bass pipes are indeed fairly far to the side (mostly left), but that's the same in v4, and was just how they were recorded (presumably reflecting their physical positions in the church). The stereo balance/panning algorithm is the same in v7 as it was in v4, as are defaults for it, so that's all as expected, and appears to be fine to me. I think you were just misremembering how those ranks sounded in v4.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 12:38 pm

Thanks, Martin. I'm sure you're right and I hadn't noticed it before.

Antoni Scott

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 5:18 pm

I'm not sure what the problem was , or that it was slightly left sounding, but Martin's suggestion fixed the problem. Now the "balance" has been restored.
Antoni

Return to Technical support