It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:21 pm

Transferring settings to Alt Config.

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Antoni Scott

Transferring settings to Alt Config.

PostSun Sep 11, 2022 6:38 pm

I am experimenting with a sample set by changing selected stops for amplitute, tuning and brilliance, both front and rear. Also my registrations are set under certain thumb and toe pistons.
Can all of the above settings be transferred to the same sample set under the Alt Config icons ? I want to make sure that the Alt Config sounds the same as the original before making any more changes.

Antoni

mnailor

Re: Transferring settings to Alt Config.

PostSun Sep 11, 2022 8:08 pm

Yes. Running in the primary config (the Hauptwerk icon without "Alt"), use File | Backup... and write down the location of the backup file from the popup message at the end.

Exit Hauptwerk.

Now run one of the Alt Hauptwerk icons, and use File | Restore... to import your settings from that same backup file you made above. Now you have a copy of your primary config to start modifying.

mdyde

PostMon Sep 12, 2022 3:39 am

Hello Antoni,

To add to Mark's reply (thanks very much as always, Mark):

- There are detailed step-by-step instructions in the "Copying your settings from one configuration to another on the same computer" section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 34-36 in the current v7.0 version).

- You use that method (backup/restore mechanism) to copy *all* settings/voicing (for all organs, plus general settings) from one configuration to another, but currently it isn't natively possible to copy settings/voicing solely for one organ (without also copying those for other organs). [However, we do have enhancement requests logged for importing/exporting/copying/comparing different voicings for organs individually.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Antoni Scott

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 7:15 am

All:
Thank you for your help. And, yes, thank you Mark. The Hauptwerk community is remarkable, Everyone is always willing to be helpful.

Since I was not able to transfer my setting from the original to the Alt. Config, I created a list of all of the stops of the organ in question ( i.e. the Sonus Paradisi Zwolle) and next to each stop name I had the settings I had modified from the original ( i.e. Amplitude, Tuning, Brilliance, etc), Left, Right, Front Rear. It was time consuming but allowed me to create the exact copy to the Alt Config. Some stops, required note by note adjustments because the original stop was not quite balanced, or because my source of listening ( through AKG 701 headphones) did not offer the same sense of realism/balance as would have with a 16 channel audio set up.

Now that I was assured that I had a copy of the exact settings, I could further "tweek" stops to suit my needs. I found it difficult to just make adjustments to an Alt Config, thinking it was an improvement, and then open up the original only to realize that my original setting were preferable.

I'm not sure if I fully understood what Martin said in his previous email, i.e. that it was not possible to copy the exact stop settings from the original to an Alt Fig. My method accopmplished what I wanted but it was a bit time consuming. Although not that important, it might be a nice feature to be able to copy everything, i.e. stop settings and adjustments, thumb and toe piston settings from the original to the Alt Config options.

Version VII is impressive. I'm not sure how to describe ,in words,the audio differences betweek Version IV and VII, but there is a difference. I have to keep telling myself that this is, in fact,an electronic device. I think my limiting issues are the fact that I am only listening to everything through two sound sources, a left and right headphone speaker. I also have a subwoofer to feel the low pedal stops.

mdyde

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 7:23 am

Thanks, Antoni.

Antoni Scott wrote:I'm not sure if I fully understood what Martin said in his previous email, i.e. that it was not possible to copy the exact stop settings from the original to an Alt Fig. My method accopmplished what I wanted but it was a bit time consuming. Although not that important, it might be a nice feature to be able to copy everything, i.e. stop settings and adjustments, thumb and toe piston settings from the original to the Alt Config options.

To try to clarify, what I meant was that:

- You *can* use the method described in the manual to copy all settings and voicing for all organs from one configuration to another.

- What you *can't* do by that method do is to copy settings/voicing for just one organ without also doing so for all of the other organs too. I.e. you can copy settings/voicing for all organs, or none.

Anyway, given that you've made all of the settings changes by hand now, then that's fine too.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 8:01 am

Antoni Scott wrote:Although not that important, it might be a nice feature to be able to copy everything, i.e. stop settings and adjustments, thumb and toe piston settings from the original to the Alt Config options.

But that is already a feature, which is what we suggested using. The caveat Martin explained is that backup and restore copies all the settings, not just one organ's settings. It does copy your combinations, MIDI settings, rank voicing, and audio -- literally all your settings.

I'm sorry you wasted time copying settings by hand unnecessarily.

Antoni Scott

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 9:27 am

MNailor:
Clearly I don't understand the process., but thank you for trying to help. I must have done something wrong although the instructions seemed simple. The instructions you sent me did not accomplish what I wanted. At least I was able to accomplish what I wanted, (settings, adjustments, etc.) even if it was the long way around.

Return to Technical support