It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:18 am

iLok dongle issue

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

JonathanL64

iLok dongle issue

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 5:00 am

Good morning all!

I now have Hauptwerk on an offline machine and have been tearing my hair out (again) trying to resolve an issue with the licensing. When I connect the machine to the internet there is no problem, but offline, even though the dongle is lit up, I get the following on boot up (Hauptwerk is set to boot straight into operation on the last loaded sample set.)

"Hauptwerk Advanced Edition V7 could not be loaded. Please contact the software publisher for support using this software.
The PACE license support software required to validate the license for this product is not running. Try restarting your computer. If that doesn’t help, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the PACE license Support software The latest installer can be found here: http://www.ilok.com"

I would send photos if I could work out how!

Thanks in advance, my small brain is aching!

Jonathan

mdyde

Re: iLok dongle issue

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 5:18 am

Hello Jonathan,

That error means that as the PC is booting Windows is launching Hauptwerk before Windows has launched (or finished launching) the iLok software. See this topic for a solution (a script to delay launching Hauptwerk a little): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19289&p=144937
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JonathanL64

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 6:46 am

Thank you Martin.

mdyde

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 6:49 am

Thanks, Jonathan. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

JonathanL64

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 6:55 am

Ok, I understand the principle and have some experience doing Command Prompt stuff, but I have no idea where to put it so as to affect Hauptwerk but not iLok.

ps I'm searching now online!

mdyde

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 7:19 am

Hello Jonathan,

See this post for detailed instructions:

viewtopic.php?p=138261#p138261

micdev wrote:
... A simple batch that you but in your startup folder

----------------

@echo off
echo Waiting a bit before starting Hauptwerk
Timeout 10
C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\Hauptwerk.exe

---------------

if the timeout value (10 in this example) is not long enough (Hauptwerk generate an error), then simply edit to increase its value until you reach a level where Hauptwerk starts correctly each and every time.

You may want to simply use this very simple solution...

Then you simply add a link to this batch in your startup folder (don't forget to remove Hauptwerk from your startup)
Best regards, Martin.

JonathanL64

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 8:36 am

Perfect Martin, as ever, that answers the questions of how to run it.

Thank you,

Jonathan

mdyde

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 8:41 am

Excellent. Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

Roglu

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 1:00 am

I did the start-up problem with "task planning". I set the time delay on the "Trigger" tab to 5 seconds. It worked well.

JonathanL64

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 10:15 am

I'm now having an iLok issue whether online or through the dongle.

It says 'A background component needed for iLok License Manager seems to be unavailable.

I have raised the issue with iLok and am waiting for a reply, I have just done a complete reinstall of everything including the operating system.

Help!

Jonathan

mdyde

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 10:31 am

Hello Jonathan,

Assuming you (still) have Windows configured to launch Hauptwerk as the PC boots, and that the error is occurring during that sequence of events (i.e. as PC is booting), please try the following:

- If applicable, acknowledge/cancel the iLok error, exiting Hauptwerk, and wait until Hauptwerk has finished exiting.

- Exit iLok License Manager, if applicable.

- Make sure that all available Windows updates are applied.

- (Re-)install the current version of the iLok driver: https://ilok.com/#!home

- Reboot the PC and log in to Windows if prompted.

- Acknowledge/cancel the iLok error if it appears, exiting Hauptwerk, and wait until Hauptwerk has finished exiting.

- As a test, wait another 2 minutes for good measure, so as to ensure that Windows should have had more than ample time to finish booting everything.

- Launch iLok License Manager, to verify that it starts without error. Assuming so:

- Now try launching Hauptwerk from its standard desktop shortcut.

Does it then launch without error?
Best regards, Martin.

JonathanL64

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 11:33 am

Thank you Martin, I will try that after supper!

Jonathan

JonathanL64

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 3:26 pm

Some updates after a couple of hours work.

I tried all you suggested and still got the same error. An hour or so ago I received a response from my iLok ticket which suggested the following:

"Please perform a fresh install of the latest version of the iLok License Manager using these exact instructions. The latest version of the iLok License Manager is available for download from the iLok License Manager tab on iLok.com.

To perform a fresh install, you will need to uninstall the current iLok License Manager from your computer.

The first step is to download a fresh copy of the installer from iLok.com, making sure you delete any old copies of this installer that may also be in your Downloads folder.

On a PC, please use Add/Remove Programs in your control panel to uninstall "PACE License Support...".
On a Mac, please use the "Uninstall License Support” script included in the License Support/iLok License Manager installer to uninstall.

*** IMPORTANT ***
Make sure to uninstall all anti-virus and security file-monitoring software (i.e. AVG, Avast, McAfee, Norton, etc.) before continuing with the installation. These products are known to interfere with the installation and operation of our components.

After uninstalling the current version of iLok License Manager reboot the system and then run the newly downloaded iLok License Manager installer.
"

Once I followed through on this, I still had the same issue.

I again did the whole procedure you suggested and I have now got Hauptwerk to load offline, although I get an error report that there is no internet connect. iLok is open and the dongle is indicated as active.

I am now going to go through repeated startups including simulating a power failure to test if Hauptwerk continues to load. I will advise other problems if they arise!

Thank you again!

Jonathan

mdyde

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 4:49 am

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for the update, and sorry to hear you've been having so much difficulty getting it all set up.

JonathanL64 wrote:I again did the whole procedure you suggested and I have now got Hauptwerk to load offline, although I get an error report that there is no internet connect. iLok is open and the dongle is indicated as active.

I am now going to go through repeated startups including simulating a power failure to test if Hauptwerk continues to load. I will advise other problems if they arise!

To confirm, do you mean that it's all now working as you'd like it, except that you're getting an error message that there's no Internet connection?

If so, there isn't actually a need to have iLok License Manager open in order to use Hauptwerk normally (I just mentioned trying that as a test), so if it's iLok License Manager that's raising that error message then if you simply avoid launching iLok License Manager then it should eliminate that message.

There's no problem with having no Internet connection, provided that your Hauptwerk and sample set licences are stored in your iLok dongle, rather than iLok Cloud. I've just had a look in PACE's system for the iLok account that's registered to your forum email address, and I see that currently your Hauptwerk v7 and Hereford licences *are* stored in your iLok Cloud account, not in an iLok dongle. Hence unless you also have another iLok account, and if you want to be able to use Hauptwerk without an Internet connection, you would need to move those licences from iLok Cloud to your dongle.

To do that:

- Make sure that the computer is connected to the Internet (or for these steps temporarily use a different computer with iLok Licence Manager installed on it, and with your iLok dongle attached to it).

- Launch iLok License Manager and log in within it.

- Make sure that iLok Cloud session is open within it ("File | Open Your Cloud Session").

- Highlight the node for the Cloud in the bottom-left pane.

- In the right-hand pane, highlight all of your Hauptwerk and sample set licences, right-click on them, and select 'Deactivate'.

- Now highlight the node for your iLok account name in the top of the left-hand pane.

- In the right-hand pane, highlight all of your Hauptwerk and sample set licences, right-click on them, and select 'Activate'.

- It will prompt you to choose where you want to activate them, giving options for your iLok dongle, and for iLok Cloud. Choose the dongle (not the Cloud).

They should then all be stored in your dongle, so thereafter you should be able to use it on any computer, without needing an Internet connection, and without needing iLok License Manager open.
Best regards, Martin.

JonathanL64

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 6:02 am

A further update, after about three attempts the situation reverted to the same problem.

Always on an upward learning curve, I decided to apply the same start up script to the iLok and increase the time on the Hauptwerk one. My thinking was, if iLok is not launching, perhaps the problem is that Windows hadn't fully loaded.

I am happy with a 20 second delay to the boot up, in fact it is 25 seconds for the Hauptwerk and 15 for the iLok. It has been consistently working ever since. I will continue today.

The importance for me is not having to do things with the computer after pressing start, I just want it to load, I can wait a few minutes while I get my music ready. There is no touchscreen monitor as the console has been built with hardware controls for everything including the memory system and sequencer.

So, the lesson of the day, the problem is with Windows and not Hauptwerk or iLok.

I feel a better person for what I have learned, thank you Martin!
Next

Return to Technical support