It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am

Two physical pistons having same function

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

IainDavies

Two physical pistons having same function

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 3:06 pm

I feel sure this must be possible, but I can't find information in the manual or the forums. I want to have thumb pistons and toe pistons where in some cases these control the same function. For example, with the combination stepper pistons, I have assigned one onscreen piston to move to the next combination in sequence, and one to move to the previous one. This works as I expect. I then assign one thumb piston to each function and again this works as I expect. However if I then assign a toe piston, these work but the thumb piston function is disabled. How can I get around this?

Thanks for any suggestions !
Iain

rayjcar

Re: Two physical pistons having same function

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 3:17 pm

After you have assigned the thumb piston, right click on the virtual on-screen piston and select "Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually for general combination piston:"
When the window opens, select the tab that says "Input 2", and then auto-detect the toe piston.

Ray

mnailor

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 3:51 pm

And in the case of stepper +1 and -1, there are additional virtual controls numbered 3/4 ... so you can assign more pistons than Input 1 and Input 2. Something like 8 or 10 each.

IainDavies

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 12:49 pm

Thanks for the advice. However I still couldn't get my number 1 thumb piston to work, so took the advice of the manual and did a reset within general preferences. Now although all 8 thumb pistons show a green 'light' in the midi window, the learn function ignores all thumb pistons. The thumb pistons were fine in V6, so I am baffled and frustrated, and no idea if this is a V7 bug or me doing something stupid...

IainDavies

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 1:00 pm

To clarify the behaviour.

Having reset everything, and opening St Annes Moseley.
Right click on Great thumb 1 and pressing my physical thumb 1 works correctly, as does Great thumb 2 etc.

But right click on the pistons toolbar at the bottom, on the default STPR GEN xx0, then pressing physical thumb 1 is not detected. Do you have to enable something for the STPR pistons to work?

Thanks

mdyde

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 1:06 pm

Hello Iain,

In case your thumb pistons send MIDI control change messages: Hauptwerk v7.0.0 had this bug in it:

- Bug-fix: since v7.0.0, MIDI pistons ... that send MIDI control change messages would fail to auto-detect to menu functions (control panel or piston toolbar buttons). Other types of MIDI messages (including MIDI note-on/offs, program changes, NRPNs, etc.) and other types of virtual controls (such as virtual expression pedals/sliders, stops, or a sample set's native virtual pistons), would auto-detect properly. Since MIDI control changes are rarely used for MIDI stops/pistons, the problem was usually only relevant if trying to auto-detect the top row of round buttons on Novation Launchpads to menu functions. Previously-auto-detected menu functions would continue to work properly, and as work-around the MIDI settings could be configured manually for those MIDI controls (for example by enabling MIDI logging temporarily to determine the MIDI messages that those MIDI controls send).

That was fixed for v7.0.1, but v7.0.1 hasn't been released publicly yet, although hopefully will be soon. If you'd like a temporary build with that fix then please send a message to Francois at Support. (I think you'd need to submit a support ticket to do that, which involved being logged into your account on MDA's website: https://www.hauptwerk.com/submit-ticket/ . Please also attach a diagnostic file to it, so that Francois can see which CPU type your computer has, and therefore which build you would need.)

If that doesn't apply, then the only relevant difference in behaviour between v6 and v7 to be aware of was the ability for per-organ MIDI assignments to override global assignments (which is enabled by default). See the "Per-organ vs. global MIDI assignments to menu/master functions" section in the v7.0.0 changes section in the v7 release notice for details about that: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainDavies

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 3:01 am

Thank you Martin. Yes my thumb pistons all send CC. I will contact support as you suggest. Very much appreciated.

mdyde

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 3:27 am

Thanks, Iain. My apologies for that bug.
Best regards, Martin.

IainDavies

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 2:16 pm

Hello Martin and others,
Just to say Francois has already supplied the updated software, and it is working perfectly. And with the help from raycar and mnailor (much appreciated!) I have all my thumb and toe pistons working exactly as I wanted.

Martin - I am so impressed with your support. All software has bugs, but it is great to see that you and your colleagues are totally on top of things. Thanks ever so much.

Iain

mdyde

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 3:37 am

Thanks very much, Iain. Excellent -- glad to hear it's all working again now.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support