It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am

iLok security key vs the HW4 Hasp dongle

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

magnaton

iLok security key vs the HW4 Hasp dongle

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 3:25 pm

Hello forum:

I was on a HW4 install several days ago and noticed that from a cold PC boot Hauptwerk screen appears and starts to load as soon as the desktop is visible. On later HW versions with iLok, there are a few seconds delay before it starts to load. Anyone else notice this? I'm guessing the iLok manager is pinging the security key for validation? Is there a way to speed this process up?

Thanks,

Danny B.

mdyde

Re: iLok security key vs the HW4 Hasp dongle

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 3:39 pm

Hello Danny,

The iLok wrapper does take a small number of seconds to to start before it launches Hauptwerk itself, during which time it would be validating that the application hasn't been tampered with, and that a relevant licence is present. I know of no way to make it quicker, I'm afraid (possibly apart from having a faster CPU, but I don't know for certain how much the CPU is the bottleneck, or exactly what the iLok system does internally during the process). I think it's just something that has to be lived with.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

magnaton

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 3:57 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Martin!

My benchmark is a 11th gen Intel i7 with the iLok key in a USB 3.x port. I downloaded the latest iLok manager driver as the release notes said something about eliminating unnecessary calls to the iLok key. Using a PCIe 3rd gen NVME drive, I can load all of Friesach (24bit uncompressed) from a cold boot to ready to play in 1.03 minutes. With this decent start time, its more of a perception of just seeing the desktop (idle) for a few seconds before the HW banner appears ;-)

Regards,

Danny B.

mdyde

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 2:58 am

Thanks, Danny.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support