It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am

Audio/ASIO problem

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

sclg

Audio/ASIO problem

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 6:17 am

I need a bit of advice...
My Windows 10 HW setup has been running fine since the last PC rebuild a couple of years ago. Last week, I lost all sound. I was using a Behringer FCA610 and although HW could see the FCA610 and there were no error messages, no sound was heard. (Obviously, I had done all the checks to ensure this was not a problem on the audio side!)

Uninstalled the FCA and installed a Gigaport EX that was to hand. Installed fine. Configured HW for it and if you play HW, you see the meters move in the onscreen Gigaport mixer - but no sound. Looked in Control Panel - Sound and no sign of anything except the built in mobo sound. I would, of course, expect to see the Gigaport here.

Uninstalled Gigaport, reinstalled FCA610. Control Panel-Sound now shows the FCA - but only as a WDM device - no ASIO.

Tried a UMC204 - same problem.
Tried all these device on another PC - all install and work 100% correctly.

It is as if the W10 installation on the HW PC has lost all ability to 'see' ASIO drivers. Obviously, I've tried all the usual Windows repair utilities like sfc and dism but to no avail. The next stage is probably a total reinstall which is a big pain so I thought I'd ask here in case anyone has seen this before. (I realise it's a windows problem not HW, but I hope you don't mind me still asking!)

I've been working with PC for decades, but this one has got me stumped!

Thanks
Steve

mdyde

Re: Audio/ASIO problem

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 7:26 am

Hello Steve,

sclg wrote: Configured HW for it and if you play HW, you see the meters move in the onscreen Gigaport mixer - but no sound. Looked in Control Panel - Sound and no sign of anything except the built in mobo sound. I would, of course, expect to see the Gigaport here.

One minor point: Windows' Sound Settings (e.g. available via "Open Sound settings" by right-clicking on Windows' speaker icon at the right of the Windows Task Bar) won't list ASIO drivers anyway. Windows' built-in sound system doesn't know about or use ASIO drivers.

Hence the absence of ASIO drivers listed there isn't a problem in itself.

I have no experience myself with Behringer's or ESI's audio interfaces, but given that you mention that the on-screen meters in the Gigaport's mixer application are moving, the driver must be working at least to the point that audio is reaching it. Beyond that, I don't know, I'm afraid.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

sclg

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 11:56 am

Oddly, in the days when it all worked, the FCA ASIO outputs all appeared under Control Panel-Sound and could all be tested!

mdyde

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 12:27 pm

(Unless Microsoft added support for Windows' sound system to use ASIO in a recent Windows update which I don't have, but I think that's unlikely) perhaps those FCA entries just had the text 'ASIO' in their names spuriously when actually they were a different driver type (e.g. WDM or DirectSound), or perhaps they were something like a Behringer WDM wrapper around the real FCA ASIO driver.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

sclg

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 12:31 pm

Possibly - I'm sure you know more about it than me! Given that three different USB audio devices all fail though, i still think it must be something to do with Windows!
Steve

magnaton

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 10:40 pm

sclg wrote:Possibly - I'm sure you know more about it than me! Given that three different USB audio devices all fail though, i still think it must be something to do with Windows!
Steve

Hi Steve:

I think you are on the right track. Try a different USB cable then try a different USB port on the computer. I had computer once that arc'd when plugging in a USB that wasn't lined up when inserting! This caused the 2 USB ports in that series to become handicapped and would not transfer data. Yes, Windows would sort of recognize a device that was plugged in but as generic name only. It knew something was plugged in but wouldn't identify it.

Danny B.

sclg

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 4:41 am

Looks like this may be related to Windows update KB5017380 which is known to randomly break audio.
There are suggested mitigations to stop it messing things up IF you haven't already installed it but if you have, then it looks like you are stuffed.
I don't know that this is the problem but it appears to have been installed about the time things started to go wrong...

Hi - ho. looks like a complete reinstall on the horizon :x
Better go and read up on moving HW to a new installation...

S

organsRgreat

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 2:28 pm

If you need to reinstall Windows, there may be a way to do so without losing data. I haven’t yet tried this, but it was recommended to me by Andy Ford, customer support manager at Quiet PC. Several youtube videos explain what to do, but this is the one he recommended. It’s important to watch the video right through first, as the process is not entirely straightforward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lawMCe_-pM

My PC has to serve as a general purpose computer as well as running Hauptwerk. Sometimes audio from youtube and other sources disappears, and I find that right clicking on the loudspeaker symbol, then choosing “Troubleshoot sound problems” will work through a few possibilities, then inform me “Sound device muted”. I haven’t knowingly muted anything, but it solves the problem. I think Windows gets confused when it has to link more than one sound source to a sound card output (in my case a MOTU 828 Mark 3 Hybrid, connected via firewire). Good luck!

Return to Technical support