It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:13 pm

HW doesn't always delete cache when uninstalling organ

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Posaune32

HW doesn't always delete cache when uninstalling organ

PostSun Oct 30, 2022 3:56 pm

I've observed on several occasions that when uninstalling a sample set, the associated organ caches in "HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles\Config0-OrganCaches" don't get deleted. Most recently, I uninstalled the time-limited trials for the OAM Metzler Poblet and Steinmeyer, but the disk space freed up was less than expected. When checking the cache folder, there were still two 10-20 GB cache files with the same organ IDs as described in the sets' documentation, which I deleted manually. This has occurred a number of times, but doesn't seem to affect all sets, since I uninstalled some SP demos (probably Dingelstadt) while monitoring the cache folder and it did get deleted in that case.

Since there's no easy way to find the organ ID for a sampleset after uninstalling it, is there a master list of IDs somewhere? My cache folder is currently 100 GB in size and I'm not sure how many more cache files are lying around for organs that have already been uninstalled.

larason2

Re: HW doesn't always delete cache when uninstalling organ

PostSun Oct 30, 2022 8:14 pm

There really is no easy way. When an organ is installed, you can make notes of which organ IDs correspond to which organ. Once it's uninstalled though, it's not so easy. With an organ installed, you can either look at its ID on the install/uninstall page, or go to the installation package folders and open the installation package ID file in a text editor to see the name of the organ.

You can also write down which installation package ID's you still have installed correspond to which organs, then go to the cache and manually delete any numbers that don't correspond to the numbers you still have installed. If you accidentally delete the wrong cache, don't worry though. Hauptwerk will just regenerate it again the next time you load that organ.

mdyde

PostMon Oct 31, 2022 3:46 am

Hello Posaune32,

[Topic moved here.]

Hauptwerk will always try to delete all organ caches (in all four configurations) for the specific OrganID of any organ definition file that you uninstall, provided that:

a) You did actually select to uninstall the "Organ: ..." entry (which is the organ definition file) in the list of items. It isn't sufficient just to uninstall some or all of the sample set's data packages. And:

b) Hauptwerk wasn't able to load the organ definition file to read its OrganID and version. If it couldn't do that (e.g. because you no longer have a valid licence present for it) then it can't know the OrganID, and so can't delete that OrganID's caches. And:

c) Operating system file permissions allow the file to be deleted. This should always be the case, provided that you always use the same operating system account when installing and running Hauptwerk.

If you look in Hauptwerk's log ("View | Activity log" it may have reported an error when trying to read the organ definition file, and/or when trying to delete the caches. However, since you mentioned that you were using a trial licence, my guess would be that that licence had expired, thus causing the problem in this case, due to b) above.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostMon Oct 31, 2022 3:50 am

P.S. To add to larason2's reply, you can also find the OrganIDs of organs that you have loaded previously by looking in Hauptwerk's log ("View | Activity log"). Search the log for the name of the organ definition file, and the " INF:2157 The organ ... has been loaded." entries will show its OrganID.
Best regards, Martin.

Theorbe

PostWed Nov 02, 2022 12:05 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostWed Nov 02, 2022 12:41 pm

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the suggestion.

In scenario b) I suppose Hauptwerk could indeed potentially try loading every organ configuration XML file in turn to see whether any of them had the the 'lastodf' attribute set within their XML to the filename of the ODF that the user had uninstalled, in order then to determine the OrganID from their organ-configuration file's filename. I agree that would be preferable to doing nothing in that situation, although I'm not sure that I'd regard the current behaviour as being a bug. It's worked the way it currently does since v2, but as far as I know Posaune32 is the first person to encounter that situation, probably because it's only relatively recently (v5+ with the iLok system) that sample set producers have been able to offer time-expiring trials. I'll log it as a minor bug anyway, but I can't promise it will be implemented urgently. It's easy enough (if a little fiddly) to delete any such no-longer-required caches manually anyway.
Best regards, Martin.

Posaune32

PostFri Nov 04, 2022 1:32 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello Posaune32,

[Topic moved here.]

Hauptwerk will always try to delete all organ caches (in all four configurations) for the specific OrganID of any organ definition file that you uninstall, provided that:

a) You did actually select to uninstall the "Organ: ..." entry (which is the organ definition file) in the list of items. It isn't sufficient just to uninstall some or all of the sample set's data packages. And:

b) Hauptwerk wasn't able to load the organ definition file to read its OrganID and version. If it couldn't do that (e.g. because you no longer have a valid licence present for it) then it can't know the OrganID, and so can't delete that OrganID's caches. And:

c) Operating system file permissions allow the file to be deleted. This should always be the case, provided that you always use the same operating system account when installing and running Hauptwerk.

If you look in Hauptwerk's log ("View | Activity log" it may have reported an error when trying to read the organ definition file, and/or when trying to delete the caches. However, since you mentioned that you were using a trial licence, my guess would be that that licence had expired, thus causing the problem in this case, due to b) above.

Thanks Martin and larason2 for the suggestions. Scenario B does seem to be the likely explanation as all of the times where I directly observed cache files not being deleted have been with time-limited trials (which I usually uninstalled after the license expiration). The activity log has a few warnings with "INF:1255 Warning: couldn't delete the settings, combination files and pre-calculated sample data for the organ definition 'Organ: XXX' since it was invalid, and its organ unique identifier could not be determined.", suggesting there are also other files that didn't get deleted (though of course much smaller in size).

mdyde

PostFri Nov 04, 2022 2:10 pm

Thanks. You're very welcome. If you look up the OrganIDs of the relevant organs via the log from the last time you loaded them, you could use them to work out which files to delete manually if you wanted. Specifically, the remaining files would be:

- The organ cache files for the OrganID (for each configuration) in [HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles]\ConfigN-OrganCaches.
- Combination sets for the OrganID in [HauptwerkUserData]/OrganCombinations.
- Albeit tiny: settings for the OrganID (for each configuration) in [HauptwerkUserData]/ConfigN-OrganSettings.

Do use "Fil|e | Backup ..." for good measure before manually deleting anything, though, just in case of any mishaps.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support