It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 pm

Using Hauptwerk 1 sample sets

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Maquiavelito

Using Hauptwerk 1 sample sets

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 8:42 pm

Hi, I recently installed some sample sets for Hauptwerk 1, successfully importing them through the "install Hauptwerk version 1 organ" option under the File tab. I have two questions about using HW1 sample sets.

First, when I try to load one of the sample sets, I get the following error message:

ERR:4662 Could not load sample ID 000062 (zell/8_ii/8_ii_11.wav) into pipe ID 000062 - the specified range marker does not exist in the file.

None of my other HW1 sample sets exhibit this issue. Is there any fix for this, or is it an inherent problem with the sample set that makes it unusable?

Second, I notice that I cannot use any of the temperaments with HW1 sample sets. Aside from retuning each HW1 sample set to a specific temperament (I did this for one of the smaller sample sets), is there a way to make use of the temperaments for a HW1 sample set?

Since the licence of these sample sets clearly allows tinkering, I was thinking of just diving into the CODM features as a way to possibly get around the outdated stuff. HW1 seems perhaps a little too old for anyone to support any longer.
Just thought I'd ask these questions before I do anything.

Thanks,

mdyde

Re: Using Hauptwerk 1 sample sets

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 4:33 am

Hello Maquiavelito,

Welcome to the forum.

Hauptwerk v2+'s function for importing v1-format sample sets was designed and tested to work with all known valid v1-format sample sets that had been released publicly at the point in time at which v2 was released, and that's all it's officially supported for. However, it will probably actually also work with any other sample sets that are in a valid format such that Hauptwerk v1 itself could load them (i.e. which adhered exactly to Hauptwerk v1's format specification). If you're getting an error importing a sample set that claims to be in Hauptwerk v1 format then my guess would be that it isn't actually fully in Hauptwerk v1 format.

Maquiavelito wrote:ERR:4662 Could not load sample ID 000062 (zell/8_ii/8_ii_11.wav) into pipe ID 000062 - the specified range marker does not exist in the file.

That would appear to indicate that sample doesn't have a release marker (WAV CUE point) in it, which Hauptwerk v1 required for all sustaining samples (e.g. pipes).

Maquiavelito wrote:Second, I notice that I cannot use any of the temperaments with HW1 sample sets. Aside from retuning each HW1 sample set to a specific temperament (I did this for one of the smaller sample sets), is there a way to make use of the temperaments for a HW1 sample set?

Hauptwerk would need to know the exact pitches of the samples in order to be able to re-pitch them by the appropriate amounts for different temperaments. However, Hauptwerk v1 format didn't have any means to specify pitches for sample files (since Hauptwerk v1 didn't have adjustable tuning or temperaments), so imported v1 organ definitions disable temperament/tuning functionality.

Your best option would be to recreate the organ definition from scratch using Hauptwerk's Custom Organ Design Module (CODM). That allows specifying sample/rank pitches, and all of the other information that modern versions of Hauptwerk need in order to be fully usable. The documentation for it is on the "Design tools" menu in Hauptwerk (v7).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Maquiavelito

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 7:07 am

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've been meaning to start dabbling in the CODM anyway. So, it looks like this might be where I start. Cheers.

mdyde

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 8:05 am

Thanks. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support