It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:46 am

New computer.

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Dale Carrigan

New computer.

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 6:43 pm

2 basic questions about the computer I am using at church: 1. Is a new MacBook Pro recommended and should I use 3 screens?
2. Can I switch computers without having to buy Hauptwerk V6 or better again?

Thanks Much! Dale

mnailor

Re: New computer.

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 7:47 pm

The HW license moves between computers, either by moving an iLok dongle or logging out one computer from your iLok cloud account and logging in on another computer. You can only use the license on one computer at a time.

larason2

Re: New computer.

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 7:59 pm

This depends what you're going to do with it. The Macbook pro has been used by other users on this forum and has performed well. If you want to run most modern medium sized sample sets, then the M1 Max with 64 GB of RAM is recommended. The latest version of OSX consumes a lot of memory, so it's better to get more than you need. For instance, when I run the PAB gravissimo on my Mac Studio with the M1 max and 64 GB or RAM, I need to run it at 16 bit, which leaves about 20 GB of RAM free. If I try to run it at 20 bit, it crashes the audio driver. Organs with less features than those provided by IA will use less RAM though, and the PAB is one big organ! If you're using a midi compatible console at church, you should be able to use the stops on the console to control the organ, so many use Hauptwerk just with the laptop's standard screen and an audio interface. Having extra screens, for instance touch screens, can be tricky to mount on the console.

As MNailor said, If you have Hauptwerk VI, you can install Hauptwerk and all your sample sets on the new computer. Then if you have access to the internet, you can run Hauptwerk from the same license as your other computer (but not at the same time). Alternatively, you can also load your licenses onto an iLok USB stick, and transfer that between computers and use Hauptwerk offline using that. Those can be purchased separately.

Return to Technical support