It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:48 am

(solved) Hauptwerk 4: Migration from MBP to Mac Pro 2013

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Raimund

(solved) Hauptwerk 4: Migration from MBP to Mac Pro 2013

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 9:36 am

Sorry to bother you with old Hard- and Software, but I like to save my good old working Hauptwerk setting.

Up to now I use a MacBook Pro (late 2011, latest possible OS: High Sierra), Hauptwerk 4, some Organs like Silbermann St. Georgen, etc.) Sound & Midi-Equipment: Focusrite Saphire Pro (Firewire Sound) u. Motu Micro Lite (USB Midi). All works fine.

Now, I have bought a Mac Pro (2013) with Mac OS Monterey. I installed by Migration-Assistent Hauptwerk from the old MBP and copied my Hauptwerk Folder (which is unter old Mac OS located in the root directory and contents e.g. /Hauptwerk/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents) to the Mac Pro. Because unter newer Mac OS there is no more allowed to write folders and files to the root directory, I pasted it unter /Applications and adjusted the Path in the file /Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/InternalResources/FileLocations.FileLocations_Hauptwerk_xml.

Problem: Hauptwerk starts but doesn't recognize my USB License Dongle. What can I do to transfer it correctly?

Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by Raimund on Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk 4: Migration from MBP to Mac Pro 2013

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 10:02 am

Hello Raimund,

Do you mean you're trying to upgrade from Hauptwerk v4 on your old laptop to Hauptwerk v7 on your newer Mac Pro? Or that you want to keep using v4, but on your Mac Pro?

v4 isn't compatible with macOS Monteray (or with any other recent macOS versions), I'm afraid. Also, if upgrading from v4 to a later Hauptwerk version, you need to uninstall/delete the v4 installation manually, as covered in the 'upgrading' section in the Hauptwerk v7 user guide, so that Hauptwerk v7 (v5+) can be installed as a fresh installation in a way that's compatible with recent macOS versions. (You can transfer your settings/combinations/voicing etc., as covered in those instructions.) those Using macOS built-in migration assistant won't work -- it will result in a broken installation.

We no longer officially support v4 anyway, I'm afraid, but if you're trying to upgrade to v7 then we can help with that.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Raimund

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 10:17 am

Thank you.

What a pity. I like to keep V4.

It seems it works with adjusted path and i can start and play the Willis-Organ (but with the "pling"), so I thought It will be possible.

mdyde

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 12:21 pm

Hello Raimund,

If you definitely want to keep using v4 then my recommendation would be instead to install a version of macOS that was supported with v4. Conceivably you might be able to 'hack' an installation to get it to work on more recent versions of macOS, but I don't know for certain and I can't help you with that I'm afraid. In any case you would of course also need to install the (HASP) driver for the v4 USB key: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19710&p=147779#p147779
Best regards, Martin.

Raimund

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 1:38 pm

mdyde wrote: In any case you would of course also need to install the (HASP) driver for the v4 USB key: https://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.p ... 79#p147779

Hallo Martin,

wowww, that's the solution! :D :D :D

Thank you so much! I'm so happy, all works fine now. HW V4 on Mac Pro (2013) with Mac OS Monterey. It is a little bit manual work (not to say "hack") to arrange the pathes in the FileLocations.FileLocations_Hauptwerk_xml, but with your lead to the HASP driver all works fine without any error.

Thank you for your support for unsupported old Versions! I understand this and I promise, I will move in future to current Version. But now I'm really happy to have saved my original setting and can play this lovely organs.

Raimund

mdyde

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 1:46 pm

Thanks very much, Raimund. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

martenszeus

Re: (solved) Hauptwerk 4: Migration from MBP to Mac Pro 2013

PostSun Apr 23, 2023 9:33 pm

Greetings Raimund (and/or Martin),

I found this thread while researching the ability to upgrade my 2013 Mac Pro from Mojave to Monterey, while maintaining the functionality of my HW version 4.2 (and attendant custom organs).

I wouldn't bother upgrading the OS except for increasing problems with the peripherals (touchscreens, various midi toys, etc.). And I really need to stay with version 4.2 because it is what my church job has (and will keep probably forever!).

I understand the general idea of what you had to do in terms of file paths; I wonder if you have any words of caution. If not, I will back up the current HW directory first, and then change it as you have suggested (and follow the HASP advice as well).
Thanks!!

mdyde

Re: (solved) Hauptwerk 4: Migration from MBP to Mac Pro 2013

PostMon Apr 24, 2023 4:09 am

Hello martenszeus,

Apple's installer for recent macOS versions will try to move the "/Hauptwerk" folder from the root of the drive to a somewhat-obscure location, breaking the Hauptwerk installation and Hauptwerk installer in the process. At the very least, *before* running the macOS installer, you would need to:

- Entirely move the "/Hauptwerk" folder from the root of the drive into the root of your macOS account's home folder (not within its 'Documents' or other sub-directories). You may need to enable Finder's options to make drives, and your home folder, visible first.

- Very carefully edit the "/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/InternalResources/FileLocations.FileLocations_Hauptwerk_xml" file manually in a text editor to change all references from "/Hauptwerk/" (at the root of the drive) to "/Users/[your-macos-username]/".

- Try launching Hauptwerk and make sure it's all still fully working.

[N.B. the above is absolutely not supported, and at your own risk, and may break your Hauptwerk installation and/or the installer if a mistake is made.]

That will probably avoid the macOS installer breaking the main Hauptwerk installation when run. However, I would expect that some of the Hauptwerk screens (settings screens, etc.) will have at least some cosmetic/redrawing problems on recent macOS versions, and there may be other parts of Hauptwerk v4 too that wouldn't work fully.

If you have to keep using v4 for now, I would recommend instead sticking to no later than macOS 10.13.6. If other applications need newer macOS versions then install a separate drive/partition in the computer, and put the newer macOS version on that as a completely independent OS installation, so that you can boot into either macOS version depending on which applications you need to use.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support