It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:04 pm

Backup and move to another configuration??

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Wayne Grauel

Backup and move to another configuration??

PostMon Dec 19, 2022 10:56 pm

I did a backup from my main configuration . I am understanding it copies all of my settings, stored general combinations, etc?
My first clue this didn't work as planned was when I went to HW Alt 1 and restored from my recent backup and HW wanted to know the midi input for my launchpad. So, no combinations settings were copied and my Launchpad is not lit up.

So, what did I do wrong? I want to move the organ to an alt configuration to use on another console. I can deal with any changes in the audio channels, but preferably, how do I have my audio channels set up on Alt 1 ( more channels ) and move the organ back and forth - keeping registrations, etc intact?

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne Grauel

Re: Backup and move to another configuration??

PostMon Dec 19, 2022 11:12 pm

one quick note, I just closed alt1 and moved back to the main HW "shortcut" and the launchpad lit up and the organ is loading ( though its telling me subsequent loads should be many times faster ). It's taking forever and acts like its loading the organ for the first time, is this normal - or is the because I'm opening a "new HW configuration?

OK it's loaded and Whew... my registrations and floating divisions are intact.
At least I didn't just wipe out everything I've been working on. - hey it's a computer - what could go wrong?

So, if you can guide me in the right procedure to copy this "profile or organ" to another HW configuration I would be grateful. Many thanks!
Wayne

IainStinson

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 4:24 am

The cache files for instruments are independent of each configuration and are not included in HWs backups. So when you restored your settings and used alt1 HW rebuilt the cache (slow) for the organ loaded.

The configs are independent but share the combination files across all configurations.

Iain

mdyde

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 4:57 am

Hello Wayne,

To add to Iain's reply:

When restoring a backup with the default options in the wizard it will restore the settings for all four configurations simultaneously back to their original ones of the four configurations (main config -> main confg, and alt config 1 -> alt config 1, etc.). If you instead want to copy settings from one configuration to another you need to do it as described in the "Backing up and restoring your settings and data: Copying your settings from one configuration to another on the same computer" section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 34-36 in the current v7.0 version).

Wayne Grauel wrote:I am understanding it copies all of my settings, stored general combinations, etc?

Yes -- backups always contain all of those things, and with default wizard options all of them will be restored.

Wayne Grauel wrote:My first clue this didn't work as planned was when I went to HW Alt 1 and restored from my recent backup and HW wanted to know the midi input for my launchpad. So, no combinations settings were copied and my Launchpad is not lit up.

Just to clarify, the mappings of Launchpad buttons are MIDI settings (not combinations as such). MIDI settings are per-configuration, whereas combination sets (the registrations that the virtual pistons/buttons store/recall) are shared between all four configurations.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Wayne Grauel

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 5:14 am

Martin, thanks for the clarification. So I'm more clear than before,
The combinations exist in the transfer - meaning Generals 1 - 64 are set, but the new configuration does not know what launch pad key was originally used ( midi data I guess)

So I could just recall generals and other settings from the large control panel and re-assign launch pad buttons and colors?

I could deal with that if so. Now to follow the right directions when I go back up. Thanks for clarification.
Wayne

mdyde

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 5:37 am

Thanks, Wayne.

Wayne Grauel wrote:The combinations exist in the transfer - meaning Generals 1 - 64 are set, but the new configuration does not know what launch pad key was originally used ( midi data I guess)

So I could just recall generals and other settings from the large control panel and re-assign launch pad buttons and colors?

Correct.

If you follow the instructions in that section of the user guide then you could also transfer the MIDI settings (i.e. the mappings between the Launchpad button mappings and the Hauptwerk control panel buttons) between the two configurations.
Best regards, Martin.

Wayne Grauel

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 8:19 am

Martin, thank you for your patience in guiding a new user around HW. I did do a search, but it was very late here in " the States". I thought it best to ask for clarification. I'll goto the pages in the documentation you've directed. Thank you again for the clarification. If I don't comprehend the "mapping process, I'll reach out. Midi implementation is one of those things that has progressed far beyond my level of experience over the decades!

If I don't talk to you before, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Wayne

Wayne Grauel

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 8:22 am

Also, to Iian, thank you for your reply regarding the load times when switching configurations, that also helped in my understanding.

Best Wishes and Merry Christmas
Wayne

mdyde

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 8:30 am

Thanks, Wayne. You're very welcome. A very merry Christmas to you too.
Best regards, Martin.

Wayne Grauel

Re: Backup Success!

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 9:40 am

just a quick note: Success, Martin, Everything worked as per your instructions - since the launch pad was "installed" in the midi ports during the 1st attempt, It lit right up when I loaded the Erfurt organ, and after the organ installed, All combinations were present. What a life saver that was!

FYI, I was on the right track, but during my " restore" I let logic take over when reading the fine print on the options, and I "checked" the 1st option, Restore Organ Combinations for all Sample Sets.

I appreciate you taking the time to help. As you might be aware, I am a new HW user and there's a lot to take in and configure when you need to jump in and implement the many features you've put into this program and turn them loose to make what ever organ one is working on and get the most out of your feature sets. This is truly amazing. You have saved me a lot of time and "experimenting" with your explanations and pointing me to specific solutions.

Again, Many thanks. OK, now to get the final details ready for Christmas. ( I'll explain more on that at a later date! )

Wayne

mdyde

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 9:44 am

Excellent. Thanks again, Wayne.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support