It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:49 pm

Upgrading to HW7

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

jawhite1967

Upgrading to HW7

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 11:08 am

Hello -

I had purchased the upgrade for version 7 back in the summer, but I was getting a failure when trying to download and install. I'd left it go in frustration, but just remembered that I hadn't completed this when I was considering buying another sample set.

1 - I can still do this, even though it's been awhile since I've attempted, since I paid for this, right?

2 - What can I do to get this to properly install? My computer is not near my modem, so a hard-connection wouldn't be feasible without disassembling and bringing the computer and monitor upstairs. I've never done an install - my VPO manufacturer had loaded V6 on for me.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

mnailor

Re: Upgrading to HW7

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 11:46 am

Version 7 is still supported, so yes, as long as your computer meets the requirements.

I'd start by downloading the Installation and User Guide from https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/

Study the first few sections to make sure you plan your upgrade steps carefully. Don't skip things like making backups. It's all necessary. Upgrading 6 to 7 is easy if you follow the instructions.

Any computer should be able to download the installation file, as it's not that big. You can move it to the Hauptwerk computer on a USB drive.

Email Francois at support@hauptwerk.com or ask here if you have questions or errors.

mdyde

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 2:07 pm

Hello Jeff,

To add to Mark's reply (thanks very much as always, Mark):

- The Hauptwerk v7 installer can be downloaded if needed via the 'Download' menu at the top of the main Hauptwerk website: https://www.hauptwerk.com/

- "Section 2: ... Upgrading or re-installing Hauptwerk" in the main Hauptwerk v7 user guide ( https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/ ) has the detailed steps for upgrading -- pages 25-29 in the current v7.0 version.

- You will need iLok License Manager installed on some computer that's connected to the Internet (even if your Hauptwerk computer isn't connected to the Internet), so that you can activate your v7 licence (and select your v6 licence to 'surrender' in exchange for it in the process). You will need your iLok dongle attached to that Internet-connected computer temporarily for doing that, but then you can move it back to your Hauptwerk computer in order to be able to use v7 on the Hauptwerk computer. The upgrading instructions cover that too.

- If your Hauptwerk computer is/was running v6 then it probably isn't strictly necessary to apply any additional operating system updates on it in order for v7 to install and work properly.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 3:56 pm

Unless you can connect another computer to your modem, or you have a wireless router connected to your modem, and a wireless ethernet card on your computer, then you will need to bring the computer upstairs.

Unless your internet connection is very fast and reliable, then it is recommended you use a download manager that supports resuming downloads. Then, if the mirror you get for the Hauptwerk download doesn't support resuming downloads, as MDA for a link to a mirror whose server does allow resuming downloads. I have a fairly slow internet connection here, and it keeps getting interrupted. Without a download manager and a server that permits resuming downloads, I can't download big files like a sample set (it will stop in the middle with an error).

Return to Technical support