It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:07 pm

Upgrade from 4 to 7

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

TSday

Upgrade from 4 to 7

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 1:08 pm

When doing an upgrade and transferring
to a new computer, is it better to do the upgrade on original computer and then transfer to the new computer, or transfer the backup and then do the upgrade. I will be going from mac 10.12 to M1 mac. I will do a backup of version 4 before I do anything else. I have the version upgrade.
Thanks
Thom.

mnailor

Re: Upgrade from 4 to 7

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 2:38 pm

I installed the new version on the new computer, did the license migration on the new computer (irreversible step -- the v4 dongle will never work again), restored the old version's backup on the new computer, and then installed the v5+ compatible versions of samplesets on the new computer.

Anything you do on the old computer, other than make a backup, is probably a waste of time unless you're going to keep using it by moving the iLok key back and forth.

mdyde

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 4:07 pm

Hello Thom,

To confirm Mark's reply (thanks as always, Mark), yes -- I too would recommend:

- Just make a backup ("File | Backup ...") in v4 on your old computer. No need to do anything else on it.

... then on your new Mac:

- Don't use the macOS installer's function to transfer setting/applications from your old Mac (since that's likely to result in a broken installation).

- Copy the Hauptwerk backup file across to it, but don't copy any other Hauptwerk files from your v4 computer.

- Install any drivers needed for your audio and MIDI interfaces and make sure that those devices are attached and powered up.

- Install iLok License Manager: https://ilok.com/

- Attach your iLok dongle (if you have one), and use iLok License Manager to activate your v7 licence to it (otherwise to iLok Cloud).

- Also install the driver for the Hauptwerk v4 (HASP) dongle and attach the dongle: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19710&p=147779#p147779

- Do a completely clean Hauptwerk v7 installation.

- Launch Hauptwerk and use "File | Restore ..." to restore your backup (if you had any settings/combinations/voicing you wanted to keep, otherwise don't bother restoring it). It will exit after restoring the backup.

- Relaunch it and select your audio and MIDI devices when prompted.

- Use the option on the file menu to migrate your sample set licences from your v4 dongle to the iLok system. (You need to have purchased this item for that, and I think you'd then be sent the necessary instructions for the licence migration process: https://www.hauptwerk.com/hauptwerk-license-migration/ .)

- Download and install the v5+ compatible versions of all of your sample sets. Links for MDA and Paramount sample sets can be found here if needed: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17988

[I'll moved this topic to the 'Technical support' section of the forum once you've had a chance to read it.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

TSday

PostFri Jan 20, 2023 3:14 am

So I have the upgrade file, not the full version of 7. The new computer would need the full version, or just the upgrade file and then copy the settings from the backup from 4. I have ilock on version 4 as well. I also plan on keeping the original computer and doing the upgrade on it as well. We have three versions of 4.
Thanks.

mdyde

PostFri Jan 20, 2023 5:23 am

Thanks, Thom.

[Topic moved here.]

There's only one Hauptwerk v7.0.0 installer/download for Macs -- not separate ones for 'full' vs. 'upgrade' installations. The (one and only) installer will upgrade an existing installation if it finds one on the computer, otherwise it will perform a new installation.

Having a *licence* upgrade from v4 to v7 means that you won't be to keep using one of your v4 licences/dongles, i.e. you sacrifice one of your previous (v4) licences for a new one (v7), so that you still have the same number of independent licences in total. (Hauptwerk v4 didn't use the iLok system for licensing; it instead used a HASP dongle.)

You can only have one version (e.g. v7 or v4) installed on any given computer at any one time. If upgrading any given Mac from v4 to v7 note that you must completely delete the v4 installation before running the v7 installer (for compatibility with changes in the way Apple allows applications to be installed in recent macOS versions), as covered in the "Upgrading or re-installing Hauptwerk" instructions in the main Hauptwerk installation guide (pages 25-27 in the current v7.0 version): https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/

You can install v7 on as many computers as you like, but you can only actually have it running on one computer (per v7 licence that you own) at any given time (with an iLok dongle that contains a v7 licence attached to that computer). I.e. you can move your v7 iLok dongle(s) around between computers, provided that you always exit Hauptwerk before detaching a dongle.

Hence if you're upgrading all three of your v4 licences to v7, then you could simply make a backup within each of the three v4 installations (but only if you specifically want to keep existing settings/combinations/voicing), then completely delete all of them, then install everything afresh at v7 (as in my previous reply). However, if you want to keep two of your v4 licences (and only upgrade the remaining one to v7) then you need to decide which computers will be used for v4 and which will be used for v7.
Best regards, Martin.

TSday

PostFri Jan 20, 2023 2:57 pm

Ok, we bought 2 copies of the 4 to 7 upgrade files. Only one new computer will be running version 7. The other one will be updated to version 7. I have the ilock dongles for both computers, Thus my question. Do I put one of the upgrade files on the new computer and then transfer the backup settings from 4? For the second computer I can do a system update from 10.12 to 10.15, and then do the 4 to 7 update on it as well. I know that I will lose version 4 on 2 computers, and that one will be retired due to age.
Thanks.

mdyde

PostFri Jan 20, 2023 3:22 pm

Thanks, Thom.

TSday wrote:Thus my question. Do I put one of the upgrade files on the new computer and then transfer the backup settings from 4?

Could you clarify what you're referring to by "upgrade files"? (As I mentioned, there is only one Hauptwerk v7.0.0 Mac installer/download.) Do you perhaps mean "licence upgrade"?

Given that you've bought two v4->v7 licence upgrades you could run v7 on any two computers simultaneously, and v4 on any other (subject to the fact that any given computer can only have either a v4 or a v7 installation on it; v4 and v7 installations can't coexist on the same computer).

In terms of using backup/restore to copy settings/combinations/voicing, if you do want to do that, then you can make a backup on any (or several) of your current installations and restore any backup on any computer.

TSday wrote:For the second computer I can do a system update from 10.12 to 10.15, and then do the 4 to 7 update on it as well.

v4 isn't compatible with macOS 10.15, and on a Mac a v4 installation must be completely deleted anyway before you can install v5+, so on that Mac you would need to:

- Use "File | Backup ...".

- Completely delete the v4 installation, as covered in the upgrading instructions in the user guide.

- Upgrade macOS to 10.15 (or, wipe the drive completely when installing macOS 10.15, i.e. perform a completely clean macOS 10.15 installation on it, which may make the system perform better anyway).

- Install Hauptwerk v7, etc.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support