It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:13 am

macOS update wiped out my Hauptwerk license

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

aah

macOS update wiped out my Hauptwerk license

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 1:07 pm

Mac Studio M1 running Monterey. Everything was working fine ... After installing the latest OS security update from Apple, now Hauptwerk starts up asking me to enter the license code. When I enter it, it says the license has reached maximum installs. Help please.
AAH

mdyde

Re: macOS update wiped out my Hauptwerk license

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 1:27 pm

Hello AAH,

Please first try downloading and (re-)installing the current version of iLok License Manager: https://ilok.com/

Does that solve it?

[I'll move this topic to the "Technical support" section of the forum once you've had a chance to read it.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

aah

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 1:35 pm

Thanks very much, Martin. That update seems to have solved it. In future I'll try to remember to look at the iLok manager first!
AAH

mdyde

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 1:53 pm

Thanks, AAH. Excellent. You're very welcome.

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.

aah

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 8:42 am

Well, something strange is still going on ...

I updated my iLok manager, and that seemed to solve the problem, but in fact the problem persists.

After I have shut down the computer for the day, and booted it up for the next day, Hauptwerk opens telling me it needs to be activated again.

I open iLok manager, log in there, and the license says it's activated in the cloud.

I go through the steps in Hauptwerk, "Skip" on the license input page, and then I can use Hauptwerk. Then I quit iLok manager. I have to go through these steps every time I use Hauptwerk. It never did this before the macOS update. What's going on?

Thanks.

mdyde

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 9:05 am

Hello AAH,

Do you have macOS configured to launch Hauptwerk automatically when you log in to macOS? If so, perhaps macOS is launching Hauptwerk before the iLok system has finished initialising.
Best regards, Martin.

aah

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 3:03 pm

Hi Martin,

No, I always open Hauptwerk manually.

I assume the problem is something in iLok, but there are no problems with my other iLok licenses, only Hauptwerk. I guess the "iLok cloud" must be the problem, because I have no other software which requires that.

AAH

mdyde

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 3:41 pm

Thanks, AAH.

Please try:

- Exit Hauptwerk if it's running.

- Launch iLok License Manager and log in within it.

- Use "File | Close All Cloud Sessions" within it.

- Exit iLok License Manager.

- Make sure any available macOS updates are installed.

- Download and (re-)install the latest version of iLok License Manager ( https://ilok.com/#!home ).

- Reboot.

- Launch iLok License Manager and log in within it.

- Use "File | Open Your Cloud Session" within it.

- Now try launching Hauptwerk again.

Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.

darthaido

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 8:34 pm

I had this problem Martin and your last post resolved the issue.

mdyde

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 4:59 am

Thanks, Aido.

Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

aah

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 6:42 am

I've waited a while to respond to your instructions, in order to see if it gets "fixed" and doesn't happen again. Here's what I find:

It's totally random.

Yes, the instructions fixed the problem, for a few days. Then exactly the same thing happened again.

So, the instructions *do not* solve the problem.

It is extremely annoying.

Thanks,
aah

mdyde

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 7:07 am

Thanks, AAH.

Previously you mentioned:

aah wrote:I assume the problem is something in iLok, but there are no problems with my other iLok licenses, only Hauptwerk. I guess the "iLok cloud" must be the problem, because I have no other software which requires that.

When the problem occurs, if you launch iLok License Manager and sign in, are the "File | Close ... Cloud Session[s]" options greyed out (which should indicate that your iLok Cloud session isn't open)?

Either way, when the problem occurs, does closing all iLok Cloud sessions (if applicable), then reopening your Cloud session, solve it? Or do you specifically need to re-install iLok License Manager each time?

Do you use Hauptwerk on more than one computer? (The iLok Cloud session can only be open on one at a time.)

Do you have an iLok (2+) dongle? If so, moving your Hauptwerk and sample set licences to that should avoid any problems related to the iLok Cloud connection (whatever might be causing them).
Best regards, Martin.

aah

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 7:22 am

Hi Martin,

Yes, the problem is that the iLok cloud session randomly *doesn't open* when the system starts up. When I manually go into the manager and open the cloud session, then it works. I never had to do this before the MacOS update. I have no iLok dongle, and I use only one machine.

Here's something I found very strange. I just opened iLok License Manager again, went to Preferences, and there was an option I had never seen before, under "iLok Cloud" at the left, I clicked on that, and at the right two "modes" were listed. "Managed" mode and "Automatic" mode. I had never seen this before (is it new in their latest update?) and I saw that my setting was "Managed", so I changed it to "Automatic", and quit the manager. Now the really strange part is, when I reopen the iLok manager and go to Preferences, now "iLok Cloud" is no longer listed at all in the list at left. The setting seems to have vanished. ?

So I have no idea if that will solve it, but nothing else has worked so far.

Thanks,
AAH

mdyde

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 9:36 am

Thanks, AAH.

I rather doubt that setting would help, I'm afraid. That relates to whether the iLok system automatically activates licences to the iLok Cloud when the iLok Cloud session opens (as opposed to activating licences manually, which would be the normal method):

iLokCloudMode.jpg

The problem you're having would appear to be is that sometimes the Cloud the session itself is failing to open properly/automatically after rebooting. (Also, if I recall correctly, that setting isn't recent.)

In iLok License Manager, if you go to "Help | Check for Application Updates", does it say that you're up-to-date, and that the version is 5.7.0.xxxx? (v5.7.0 is the current version.) If so, we'll probably need to contact PACE for support, to see whether it's a known compatibility problem with the recent macOS update.
Best regards, Martin.

aah

PostSat Feb 11, 2023 10:28 am

Yes, as I had confirmed already above, my iLok Manager is up to date (the version is 5.7.0)
As I mentioned, I have no other software that uses the iLok Cloud, so I can't say if this problem only to do with Hauptwerk, but I do have other iLok licenses (none which require a dongle) and none of them have shown any problems.
Thanks for your help.
AAH
Next

Return to Technical support