It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:47 pm

Troubleshooting

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

RichardGeog

Troubleshooting

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 4:22 pm

May I ask advice on a version 4 Hauptwerk system running the Salisbury sample set that has been working well for years, but has recently developed faults? The problems are:
1. For several months, pressing a key on the choir manual causes Hauptwerk to restart.
2. More recently, pressing various keys on the other keyboards (the same notes on the different keyboards) causes several notes to sound, and not just the note that applies to that key.
We recently moved the organ, but I wonder if this is more likely to be a software issue than a hardware one? Would you agree with that or not? Has anyone any advice on what I should do? Many thanks!

larason2

Re: Troubleshooting

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 5:16 pm

I would think it is actually more likely a hardware issue. The clue is you recently moved the organ! What kind of hardware is driving the console? Also, did you recently do any operating system upgrades (or were they foisted upon you?). The problems sound like midi related problems to me. Use Midi Ox or a related program to see what messages are sent when you play the choir manual, or the keys that play several notes at once. The organ's new home might be a lot "noisier" electronically, or there's a problem with the hardware.

RichardGeog

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 4:41 am

Thanks for that. I guess you must be right and its a midi-related issue in some way. I will try what you suggest.

GrahamH

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 3:48 pm

Do you have flat cables with 'Micromatch' connectors linking your keyboards to your MIDI encoder?
Micromatch connectors do not like being moved and if they are only slightly loose they can cause exaclyl the kind of symptoms your describe.
Graham

RichardGeog

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 3:51 am

Dear Graham,
I'm very sorry not to respond to your suggestion sooner. I have this week had a chance to look at the Hauptwerk organ that I had set up (It was for someone else who lives a long way from me) and try your suggestion about the contacts.
I checked all the "micromatch" connectors - removed the plugs and re-inserted them. I also ran midi-Ox and could not see anything wrong with the midi codes being generated. So I've just gone through the setup procedure for a new installation with the keyboards and stops/couplers and it now seems OK.
I haven't got the faintest idea what was causing the problem, but it now seems to be resolved. Thanks to both of you that made suggestions!
Best wishes,
Richard

Return to Technical support