It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 6:03 am

Cannot reactive ate iLok - Help!

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ldeutsch

Cannot reactive ate iLok - Help!

PostTue Apr 11, 2023 6:00 pm

I am a perpetual lover of Hauptwerk. This is quality software that is well-written and comes with excellent service. However, I completely hate iLok!

I have two iLok licenses for HW - one each for my concert organ and theater organ. I use both over the Internet since I have excellent Internet service here. I have been using the concert organ daily for a long time, but decided to play my theater organ today for the first time in at least a month. It would not run HW because it claimed I had no activated iLok license.

I ran the iLok license manager and verified that I have multiple activated licenses (including one for HW7). However, the "Local" window on the left of the iLok screen showed my computer with 0 activations.

I finally realized that I needed to reopen my cloud session. This did the trick. I have no idea why iLok closed my previous cloud session. Perhaps it decided I hadn't used it in a while and it was no longer needed!

I thought I should write about this so others don't spend so much time worrying about this as I did today!

Les

David Baldwin

Re: Cannot reactive ate iLok - Help!

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 2:34 am

I too hate the iLok because it is extremely irritating. Quite regularly it come with the message that I can't use it on two systems. The solution is to unplug it and put it back in again. I think it always does it after an upgrade but often at other times.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

mdyde

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 4:01 am

Hello Les,

Sorry to hear about the problem. Perhaps the iLok Cloud connection was dropped due to the iLok server having been down temporarily at some point, or due to a previous interruption in your Internet connection, or something like that. Closing and reopening the iLok Cloud connection may be needed in those cases. If in doubt, use "File | Close All Cloud Sessions" in iLok License Manager, then reopen the session.

If maximum resilience is especially important, using an iLok dongle is the best option; it has no dependence on Internet connections or anything remote. I use an iLok dongle and find it absolutely reliable.

David Baldwin wrote:I too hate the iLok because it is extremely irritating. Quite regularly it come with the message that I can't use it on two systems. The solution is to unplug it and put it back in again. I think it always does it after an upgrade but often at other times.

Hello David,

In case it's relevant, if any of your licences are activated to an iLok dongle (not iLok Cloud) and you want to move the dongle to a different computer, you need to make sure you exit Hauptwerk before detaching the dongle -- the dongle must remain attached to the relevant computer all the time that Hauptwerk is actually running on it. Also, perhaps check the operating system isn't putting your USB ports to sleep.

Here's an excerpt from the Hauptwerk user guide that covers how to do that on Windows:

... on Windows 10 you would use 'Windows Control Panel | System | Power and sleep | Additional power settings', select the 'High performance' power plan, then click its 'Change plan settings | Change advanced power settings', then make sure that the settings are set as follows:
Sleep: Hibernate after = Never (for 'plugged in' if present)
USB settings: USB selective suspend setting = Disabled (for 'plugged in' if present)

If, on the other hand, any of your licences are activated to iLok Cloud, make sure you use exit Hauptwerk and use "File | Close All Cloud Sessions" on a computer before moving to using Hauptwerk on a different computer (upon which you need to open your iLok Cloud session before launching Hauptwerk).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 10:09 am

The iLok USB key (dongle) works reliably except right after a Windows update, when iLok claims I'm trying to use it on two computers at the same time. Ejecting the iLok and rebooting clears that condition, whatever it is.

mdyde

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 10:14 am

Thanks, Mark. That hasn't happened on either of my Windows 10 installations, for whatever reason.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

David Baldwin

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 3:45 am

That is precisely what happens to me. All my organs use the dongle. It's not a big deal jumping of the bench to remove and reinsert, it's just irtitating
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

Return to Technical support