It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:27 am

Issue with Launchpad Mk2

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mtozer949

Issue with Launchpad Mk2

PostThu Apr 27, 2023 8:19 pm

This is my first time posting on the Hauptwerk forum. Please feel free to move my post to another thread if you feel that that would be a better place for it.

I am having an issue with my two Novation Launchpad Mk2's, in that they keep losing the MIDI signal while I am playing, and go into "Vegas Mode"/"Fireworks Mode". This is an issue because I not only use Hauptwerk for my own enjoyment and practice, I also use my Hauptwerk setup for my tiny church's weekly online/over-the-phone services and also my weekly organ lessons over Zoom, and it has happened during both church and organ lessons, much to my annoyance. I use them mainly in lieu of thumb pistons, as I prefer to use my thumb pistons for my console's native voices, as well as a general cancel, and sometimes certain other uses.

To be able to better understand the situation, please allow me to explain my setup for you. The setup consists of a 2021 Arnold Organs/Custom Organ Works 8-128-512-960 computer, which is connected to a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 audio/midi interface via USB cord, which is then connected to my 2021 Rodgers Inspire Classic Edition 2-manual digital organ console via Audio and MIDI lines. The computer is located on top of my organ console on the right side. A widescreen LG NON-touch monitor is located on a monitor stand on the top of my organ console. I have two Novation Launchpad Mk2's, both connected via USB cable directly to the Arnold Organs computer. The launchpads are placed (not mounted) semi-vertically on my music rack, one on the left, and on the right. It seems that regardless of which Launchpad is on the left, that one is the one that loses the MIDI signal most frequently, but sometimes the one that is situated on the right also loses it, but it is rare that both lose the MIDI signal at the same time. The Arnold Organs/Custom Organ Works computer seems to work well (it is extremely rare that it has an issue - Matt Arnold did a great job).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the issue, what the problem is, and have any ideas on how I determine what is causing the problem? Thank you very much for your help.

IainStinson

Re: Issue with Launchpad Mk2

PostFri Apr 28, 2023 3:18 am

Hello.
Has this just started to happen?
Are the cables connecting the Launchpads in good condition and not under any strain?
Has the operating system been updated recently (Windows update)?

You could check that the power settings are set so that midi ports don’t turn off when they are idle for a while.

Iain.

mdyde

PostFri Apr 28, 2023 3:48 am

Hello mtozer949,

Welcome to the forum.

To add to Iain's reply, here's an excerpt from the Hauptwerk user guide that covers how to prevent Windows putting USB ports to sleep:

... on Windows 10 you would use 'Windows Control Panel | System | Power and sleep | Additional power settings', select the 'High performance' power plan, then click its 'Change plan settings | Change advanced power settings', then make sure that the settings are set as follows:
Sleep: Hibernate after = Never (for 'plugged in' if present)
USB settings: USB selective suspend setting = Disabled (for 'plugged in' if present)

If *any* USB devices become disconnected from the PC, or become connected to it, or otherwise temporarily lose/establish a USB connection for any reason (e.g. misbehaving cable, or insufficient USB power to any USB device) then Windows might drop and re-establish other/all USB connections. Hence even if your Launchpads have enough power and aren't physically losing their connections, some other USB device might be the culprit.

- Check all USB cables and connections.

- Check all devices have ample power. E.g. if they're bus-powered devices and connected to a USB hub then make sure the hub is a good-quality (reputable brand, e.g. Belkin) *powered* (not 'bus-powered') model.

- Make sure you don't plug in, or unplug, any USB devices whilst Hauptwerk is running.

- As a test, try keeping all unnecessary USB devices completely disconnected from the PC when using Hauptwerk.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mtozer949

PostFri Apr 28, 2023 12:02 pm

IainStinson wrote:Hello.
Has this just started to happen?
Are the cables connecting the Launchpads in good condition and not under any strain?
Has the operating system been updated recently (Windows update)?

You could check that the power settings are set so that midi ports don’t turn off when they are idle for a while.

Iain.

This has been going on for a while, actually. The operating system has not been updated at all, I think; the computer is only connected to the Internet when I download samplesets, which I have not in several months. How do I determine if the cables connecting the Launchpads are in good condition and not under any strain? Also, how do I check that the power settings are set so that the midi ports don't turn off when they are idle for a while?

mtozer949

PostFri Apr 28, 2023 12:14 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello mtozer949,

Welcome to the forum.

To add to Iain's reply, here's an excerpt from the Hauptwerk user guide that covers how to prevent Windows putting USB ports to sleep:

... on Windows 10 you would use 'Windows Control Panel | System | Power and sleep | Additional power settings', select the 'High performance' power plan, then click its 'Change plan settings | Change advanced power settings', then make sure that the settings are set as follows:
USB settings: USB selective suspend setting = Disabled (for 'plugged in' if present)

If *any* USB devices become disconnected from the PC, or become connected to it, or otherwise temporarily lose/establish a USB connection for any reason (e.g. misbehaving cable, or insufficient USB power to any USB device) then Windows might drop and re-establish other/all USB connections. Hence even if your Launchpads have enough power and aren't physically losing their connections, some other USB device might be the culprit.

- Check all USB cables and connections.

- Check all devices have ample power. E.g. if they're bus-powered devices and connected to a USB hub then make sure the hub is a good-quality (reputable brand, e.g. Belkin) *powered* (not 'bus-powered') model.

- Make sure you don't plug in, or unplug, any USB devices whilst Hauptwerk is running.

- As a test, try keeping all unnecessary USB devices completely disconnected from the PC when using Hauptwerk.

I just did what your quote from the Hauptwerk manual said to do, so I will see if that works. When you say to check all USB cables and connections, what should I be checking for? My technical proficiency ends at certain Microsoft Office and Accessories skills.

How do I check to see that all devices have ample power? All of my USB devices are plugged directly into the computer's USB ports, including the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 audio/midi interface, the two launchpads, wireless keyboard dongle, wireless mouse dongle, and if/when needed, the wireless internet dongle (which I have not used since downloading samplesets). All of the USB devices currently in use are needed. The LG monitor is connected through a non-USB port, I believe.

Also, how do I determine if the cable is misbehaving? The cables connecting the Launchpads are the same ones that came in the box when I bought them used in very good/new condition.

The only time I unplug any USB devices is when the the Launchpads lose their MIDI signal. When that happens, I just unplug the Launchpad from the cable, or the cable from the Launchpad; whatever works. But when that happens, I have to reboot Hauptwerk.

Thank you, Iain and Martin, for your replies.

mdyde

PostFri Apr 28, 2023 2:27 pm

Thanks. You're very welcome.

mtozer949 wrote:How do I check to see that all devices have ample power? All of my USB devices are plugged directly into the computer's USB ports, including the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 audio/midi interface, the two launchpads, wireless keyboard dongle, wireless mouse dongle, and if/when needed, the wireless internet dongle (which I have not used since downloading samplesets). All of the USB devices currently in use are needed. The LG monitor is connected through a non-USB port, I believe.

Given that your USB devices are all connected directly to USB ports on the PC, there probably will be sufficient power for them. The main risk of insufficient bus power arises if using bus-powered USB hubs, which you aren't doing. (In theory, USB devices should state in their specifications the maximum power [wattage] they draw, but not all do, evidently including Launchpads. Computer/motherboard makers should also state how much power their USB ports can supply -- which might depend upon the rating of the PC's power supply -- but again not all do.) Anyway, it probably isn't a lack of power in your case.

mtozer949 wrote:Also, how do I determine if the cable is misbehaving? The cables connecting the Launchpads are the same ones that came in the box when I bought them used in very good/new condition.

mtozer949 wrote:How do I determine if the cables connecting the Launchpads are in good condition and not under any strain?

I think Iain meant to check that they aren't being pulled on physically, risking their plugs not keeping good contact with the sockets. If one Launchpad in particular is misbehaving you could perhaps try swapping its USB cable for a different one -- perhaps its cable is malfunctioning. It's also conceivable that one of your PC's USB ports is malfunctioning erratically, e.g. due to its connector having worked a bit loose on the motherboard. You could try the USB devices in different USB ports.
Best regards, Martin.

mtozer949

PostFri Apr 28, 2023 5:56 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello mtozer949,

Welcome to the forum.

This suggestion seems to be working. I tried it this morning and the computer has been on all day long, and so far, no problems with the launchpads. The suggestion also solved another related problem I was having with the Launchpads: since they were in place semi-vertically on my organ console's music rack, if I moved them, such as to make room for music or accidentally pressing too hard, they would also loose the MIDI signal. That, too, seems to no longer be happening.

I have not had a single issue today with the Launchpads, and usually it would happen multiple times a day. It is so relieving to that such a simple fix was needed. I will write another post in this thread if the issues present themselves again. Thanks again, Martin and Iain.

mnailor

PostFri Apr 28, 2023 6:06 pm

You might go through the Windows tuning recommendations in the Performance Tuning section of the Hauptwerk Installation and User Guide and do everything it says. This fix was in there, and those steps can help you avoid a lot of problems.

mdyde

PostSat Apr 29, 2023 3:32 am

Thanks, mtozer949.

mtozer949 wrote:since they were in place semi-vertically on my organ console's music rack, if I moved them, such as to make room for music or accidentally pressing too hard, they would also loose the MIDI signal. That, too, seems to no longer be happening.

I wouldn't expect that Windows settings change to solve that. It sounds to me like you also have/had a USB cable plug that's a bit loose physically, or the USB cable is being pulled on, or a USB cable could do with replacing. I.e. by physically moving it you are/were briefly breaking an electrical connection somewhere.
Best regards, Martin.

mtozer949

PostSat Apr 29, 2023 2:18 pm

Hello Martin,

I am just letting you know, that I have continued to have no issues with the Launchpads for the second day in a row. I have had the Hauptwerk setup on since 8:20AM or so this morning (Pacific Time) and no issues. So, it seems your suggestion worked (the turning off the computer USB port sleep function) for the first issue (seemingly random loss of MIDI signal in Launchpads). As for the second issue (loss of MIDI signal if Launchpad moved), that one has not presented itself either, either, and I just moved both them a few inches horizontally back and forth to test to see if it was a loose connection or something. But there was no MIDI signal loss. To me, it seems odd that the second issue was solved the only change I have made to the system is turn off the USB port sleep mode on the computer (the solution suggested for the first issue), but I am just relieved that these daily-occurring issues are seemingly no longer occurring thanks to your advice. The real test will be the use of my bedroom Rodgers-Hauptwerk hybrid setup for use in my church's online/over-the-phone church service, but I am very optimistic about the prospects of having no issues. I am also very relieved to know that the Launchpads I bought in used (but new) condition are functional. Thanks for your help!

mdyde

PostSat Apr 29, 2023 3:05 pm

Thanks. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

mtozer949

PostSat May 13, 2023 4:01 pm

Hello everyone,

Here is an update.

I am still having the same issues, but they only seem to happen shortly after I begin playing after beginning Hauptwerk and loading a sampleset, and rarely other times, so Martin Dyde's suggestion has been at least somewhat helpful. In fact, initially, for a few days, there were no problems at all, then they started up again.

Nowadays, since taking Martin's suggestion about turning off the sleep function for the USB ports, the problem usually only manifests itself after I have begun playing after loading a sampleset right after I have opened up Hauptwerk for the first time that day, or while the sampleset is loading right after I have opened up Hauptwerk for the first time that day). Rarely do I have the issue other times now.

I just am starting to perceive that Launchpads (MK2) are not a reliable solution for my situation (using the organ in my bedroom for multiple purposes: practice organ, organ lessons over Zoom, personal enjoyment, my church's online/over-the-phone services over Dialpad.com teleconference service). I just do not like worrying about whether there will be a sudden loss of MIDI signals to the launchpad during my church's online service when I am playing a hymn. So, to keep this post short, I will add at least one more post after this one to posit some questions to my fellow Hauptwerk users.

Thanks for all of your help.

I will say that I really, absolutely love Hauptwerk, and that once one has begun using it, there is no going back! It has really greatly improved the quality my tiny church's music in its online services - now I have chamades, zimbelsterns, a extra divisions and stops in addition to the swell and great and pedals. As someone who has played the organ casually for many years (starting in childhood with a antique pump organ, Yamaha D-80 electone and Cohn Caprice and a couple years ago started regularly playing for my church), Hauptwerk has been very educational to me - allowing me to experience theater organs, American Eclectic Church organs, Baroque, Romantic, English, Italian, and more - all from my bedroom. I definitely intend to keep on using Hauptwerk as long as I live.

mtozer949

PostSat May 13, 2023 4:15 pm

Part 2:

So, I have some questions.

Obviously, the first one is, What should I do?

I am heavily considering replacing the Launchpads (MK2) with two touchscreens. I currently use the Launchpads (MK2) as a MIDI controller. They basically take the place of my Rodgers console's general pistons and general cancel, as I only use the Rodgers console's general cancel and the Rodgers thumb pistons for the Rodgers voices only - which sound great in their own right, and when used in proper amounts, can be used simultaneously with Hauptwerk. I will say that having two general cancels is very confusing, however; I want to keep the Rodgers and Hauptwerk general cancels separate so I can cancel one or the other, but not both at the same time. The launchpads are also used to, say, switch from "Combs01" to "Combs02", etc., and depending on the sampleset, these are used to activate various selected stops, toy stops, toy counter/traps, tuned percussion, zimbelsterns, rossignols, tutti switches, select couplers, etc.

Now, if I were to purchase two touchscreens, would they have to simultaneously be connected to the computer via USB cable AND DVI/HDMI/etc.? I have plenty of DVI ports and other ports on my computer, and a handful of free additional USB ports.

Have any Hauptwerk users had issues with touchscreens losing functionality randomly, in a manner similar to the issues I have had with the Launchpads mentioned above?

If I were to keep the Launchpads, and simply replace the cable, what kind of USB cable do I get, and who presently manufactures them, if at all?

Also, although I hate to part with my Rodgers console (which I absolutely love and continue to sometimes play with the Rodgers voices only - as they sound great in their own right), this Launchpad issue has made me consider the possibility of getting a Hauptwerk-only MIDI console (Arnold Organs/Custom Organ Works, who manufactured my computer, has new-build console packages listed at prices as cheap as under US$6000 listed on their website, and Drew Worthen's Opus 6 also looks a great value for what you spend). Has anyone ever had any issues with either manufacturer when it comes to their consoles, the construction process, etc.? I am very happy with the computer that I purchased from Arnold Organs/Custom Organ Works, and it is extremely reliable.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

randallschmid

PostSat May 13, 2023 6:50 pm

Are you using USB cables that have ferrite ring core RFI EMI noise suppressors to connect the LP to your computer? I believe the cables delivered with Novation products have the ferrite core, but a substitute or printer cable may not. The lack of an RFI suppressor can and will cause your symptoms.

mtozer949

PostSat May 13, 2023 7:23 pm

randallschmid wrote:Novation products have the ferrite core, but a substitute or printer cable may not. The lack of an RFI suppressor can and will cause your symptoms.

I have no idea. I bought the Launchpads used, but in basically new condition from two separate sellers. Both came with an orange cable with a USB A connection on one end and on the other end, the weird connector that connects into the Launchpad port. I don't know what one would call that. I assume that, because both came from different sellers with the same cable, that that is the cable that Novation made. But I am not completely sure. My technological proficiency ends at certain Microsoft Office applications, and I actually paid a local Southern California Hauptwerk consultant to set it up, and that consultant was recommended to me by the local Rodgers/Johannus/etc. dealer who sold me my Rodgers Inspire organ console, and the consultant did a great job. So there is a lot I do not know about Hauptwerk that I really wish I did know. '

Are you saying that there are possibly other manufacturers that make cables that have the USB-A connection on one end, and the Novation Launchpad connection (whatever it is called) on the other end?
Next

Return to Technical support