It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

Organ models trying to load on wrong drive

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mjhoshaw

Organ models trying to load on wrong drive

PostMon May 29, 2023 9:09 am

Greetings,

I am running Hauptwerk VII on a Dell Inspiron 3880 with an I5-10400 processor and 64 GB of memory. Recently I restored my settings from a backup to try to correct an issue with one of my organ models. That did not help, so I removed and re-installed the organ model, and that corrected the issue. Since then, only it and one other of my 17 organ models will load. All 15 others, I get the message "Your computer's drive might be too full for this organ to load successfully." Even the St. Anne's Moseley organ will not load. The popup window also says I only have 98.5 GB free. That is my C drive, but I configured Hauptwerk to use my D drive. I have over 400 GB free there. All 15 of these organ models had been loading and working fine. I will appreciate any help.

mdyde

Re: Organ models trying to load on wrong drive

PostMon May 29, 2023 9:34 am

Hello mjhoshaw,

Welcome to the forum.

Hauptwerk will give that message if, when (re)generating a sample set cache file, the drive that contains you HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles folder is getting low on space, relative to the amount of RAM that your PC has, on the basis that your cache file is likely to be a bit larger than the amount of RAM that the organ will occupy once loaded. (Specifically, it checks that there is at least 1.5x as much space on the drive as the computer has physical RAM.)

If that doesn't solve it, please use "Help | Create a diagnostic file" and email the resulting file to Francois at support [at] hauptwerk.com, mentioning this forum topic for background information. He'll then be able to see which drives you have the various types of Hauptwerk components installed, and how much free space Hauptwerk thinks there is on them.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mjhoshaw

PostMon May 29, 2023 10:50 am

What you wrote clicked because recently I upgraded my memory from 16 GB to 64 GB. The 94.5 GB of free space on the C drive was indeed at least 1.5x larger than 16 GB, but not 1.5x larger than 64 GB. The C drive contains Windows so I cannot easily upgrade it.

I believe I have not used the other organ models that will not load, since I did the memory upgrade and the restore. I know that after a restore the models have to be re-loaded and prepared for use.

As I was writing this I told Hauptwerk to try to load anyway one of the organs that will not load, and it was successful. However, my free space on C: is now down to 85 GB. I am looking for any explanation of why all 17 organs fit before but will not fit now. Many of my organs were not free, and I need to be able to use them.

Does the cache size vary depending on the amount of RAM?
Is it possible to have Hauptwerk write the cache files elsewhere?

mdyde

PostMon May 29, 2023 11:25 am

Hello mjhoshaw,

The message isn't an error -- it's just a warning that you're getting low on space on that drive, and you can ignore it. When generating a cache file, Hauptwerk doesn't know exactly how much RAM or drive space the organ will need until it's actually loaded, so it errs on the side of caution. The amount of RAM or drive space needed to load any given organ with a given set of rank memory options won't vary according to how much RAM the computer has; Hauptwerk simply assumes a worst-case scenario in which you might almost fill the RAM.

You can move the "Internal working data" (=HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles folder) to a different drive by re-running the Hauptwerk installer (when Hauptwerk isn't running), which is covered in the "Changing installation locations" section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (page 30 in the current v7.0 version) -- select the 'Custom' option in the installer, and just leave all installation locations at their defaults, except change the "Internal working data" location to be on the desired drive (ideally a fairly fast drive, e.g. an SSD, if organ loading speeds are important to you).
Best regards, Martin.

mjhoshaw

PostMon May 29, 2023 11:46 am

I understand that this is only a warning, but we are not getting to the cause of why all my models loaded before and I had about 100 GB of free space on the C drive, but now with each model I load the free space there drops.

Before I re-install Hauptwerk I will contact Francois, attaching the diagnostic file, and get his thoughts. He already has helped me in the changing of my email address, yesterday.

mdyde

PostMon May 29, 2023 12:28 pm

Hello mjhoshaw,

Whenever you restore a backup, Hauptwerk will delete your existing cache files (because they may no longer be valid for the rank settings from the backup you restored), and then the first that you load any given organ Hauptwerk will automatically generate its cache file again. Hence when you restored the backup the free space would increase, then with each distinct organ you load the free drive space will drop again (because of its newly-recreated cache file). However, if your rank settings for any given are the same as before, its cache file will be the same size as before, so overall (after loading all of your organs again) the total space occupied by all of the cache files will be the same as before, and you won't have lost any drive space.

If you haven't changed your rank settings, and you still have as much free drive space as before, the reason that you are getting the warning about drive space now (whereas you weren't before) is simply because you upgraded the amount of RAM that your PC has, and Hauptwerk assumes that you might want to use most of it for Hauptwerk. However, you can just ignore that warning.

Edit: P.S. Aside from Hauptwerk, also note that with default Windows settings, Windows' page file will be on your C: drive, and its size may vary dynamically as you do things (in Hauptwerk or otherwise), affecting how much free space remains on that drive. Windows will also use the drive for its temporary files and other things, so drive space on the C: drive is likely to vary to some extent on a day-to-day basis anyway. Also (aside from Hauptwerk), Windows' page file size may be larger with larger amounts of RAM installed.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support