It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 pm

Can't get rid of a dialogue

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Glen

Can't get rid of a dialogue

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 7:28 am

I'm getting: 'the following audio or midi interface can't be accessed, but Hauptwerk is configured to use them' etc. etc.

I can't make it disappear . Nothing has been touched or changed since I last used the organ. Any help gratefully received. There have been no similar problems ever - since I set up the system in 2015.

Glen

mdyde

Re: Can't get rid of a dialogue

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 7:54 am

Hello Glen,

You will get the warning message "The following audio or MIDI (or USB-MIDI) interface device(s) can't be accessed, but Hauptwerk is configured to use them ..." when you launch Hauptwerk if your computer's operating system is no longer reporting an audio/MIDI devices as being present that Hauptwerk was configured to use (based on the name that its driver reported for it). That will either be because the operating system isn't seeing the device at all (e.g. because it isn't switched on, or isn't connected properly), or because its driver has renamed the device.

When you see that prompt, first try:

- Leave its "Cancel launching Hauptwerk" option selected (as it is by default), then click its OK button to exit Hauptwerk.

- Shut the computer down.

- At the mains, completely turn off your computer, as well as all audio/MIDI devices and powered USB hubs.

- Wait at least 15 seconds.

- Make sure that your audio/MIDI device(s) and any USB hubs are still connected properly.

- Switch everything all back on again at the mains.

- Boot the computer and log in.

- Wait at least a minute for good measure, so that the operating system has had plenty of time to find any devices.

- Try launching Hauptwerk and see whether it no longer shows that warning [thus indicating that the computer is seeing the device(s) again].
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Glen

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 11:07 am

Hello Martin,

Many thanks for your speedy response. I have followed your instructions to the letter and it seems to have worked! Curious, because I tried exactly the same process earlier and it didn't. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough between stages. Fingers crossed this has cured the problem permanently.

with renewed thanks and much appreciation.

Kind regards,

Glen

mdyde

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 11:09 am

Thanks very much, Glen. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Glen

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 10:16 am

Hello Martin,

It's happened again and this time your solution just won't work. Do you have any other suggestions. No rush ... I realise it's the weekend.

best wishes,

Glen

mnailor

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 10:24 am

What devices does the message say aren't detected? What make and model of audio and MIDI interfaces are you using? Windows or Mac, and OS version?

mdyde

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 11:39 am

Hello Glen,

To add to Mark's reply:

Does downloading the latest version of the device's driver from its manufacturer's website, (re-)installing it, then following my previous instructions again help?

If not, is the operating system seeing the device at all? For example, if you're using Windows, you could look in Windows Device Manager (press the Windows key, then start typing "Device Manager" until its entry appears, then click on it to launch Device Manager, then within Device Manager expand the "Sound, video and game controllers" node).
Best regards, Martin.

Glen

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 8:07 am

Dear Friends,

Many thanks for your suggestions. Today Hauptwerk has loaded normally. Obviously I'm relieved but frustrated about the intermittent fault.

I'm using a large Mac tower, which is solely for the use of the organ and the device 'not detected' is a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 audio interface.

When it happens again, I'll try your suggestions and get back to you. Meanwhile, renewed thanks for your help.

Glen

mdyde

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 8:22 am

Thanks, Glen. Glad to hear it's resolved itself for now, at least.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support