It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:36 pm

Diagnostics for MOTU Ultralite Mk5?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

BarryG

Diagnostics for MOTU Ultralite Mk5?

PostMon Dec 04, 2023 4:54 pm

Having trouble with my audio system, 4 speaker pairs plus sub, that route through Ultralite Mk5 and an amplifier.

I get sound through some of the speaker pairs, but not consistently, and sometimes through a different pair than what should sound.

Have tried Audacity with pink-noise file as a signal source. It sees all of the Ultralite Outputs and seems to be sending pink-noise to them, just don't get signal showing on CueMix or hear sound as I should on some of them.

Alternatively, with Hauptwerk as the signal source, I can get sound from a couple of speaker pairs but not others, and not consistently. All the Hauptwerk LEDs seem to show I have signal and routing to the speaker pairs I intend, just not all are getting it. Further, the levels seem very low for the signals I hear, ie, would have to boost each Hauptwerk signal by many dBs to get any acceptable volume.

Running Windows 11 and have all latest updates for it and for the Ultralite installed.

Haven't been able to play much last few months, but this all worked after I installed Version 8 and now it doesn't.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot, or know of any diagnostics I might use?

Appreciate any help, as usual,

Barry

mdyde

Re: Diagnostics for MOTU Ultralite Mk5?

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 5:22 am

Hello Barry,

I think my only suggestions would be:

- Try re-installing the latest version of its driver.

- Make sure that its firmware is up to date.

- If there are means within its driver/software to reset all of its settings to defaults, try that.

- Perhaps try connecting it via a different USB port. (Exit Hauptwerk first.)

If those things don't solve it, and unless any other Ultralite users on this forum have any additional suggestions, try contacting MOTU for support: https://motu.com/techsupport
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

BarryG

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 9:51 am

Thank you, Martin. Will go through your list.
Barry

BarryG

Re: Diagnostics for MOTU Ultralite Mk5? Resolved

PostMon Dec 11, 2023 12:47 pm

After more systematic testing using Windows Sound Tests, problem boiled down to the UltraLite not "seeing" one pair of Line Outs. (I chased myself down a couple of rabbit holes before figuring this out, and thus had just caused more confusion.)

Matt at Motu support led me to CueMix Device settings where the "missing" Line Out pair for Enable Windows Audio Streams was not checked, while all others I'm using were checked.

Now have to go back to reset all my level settings for various speakers, but think I'm over the problem(s). User error. Again. Just appreciate the help from Martin and Matt (at Motu).

Barry

mdyde

PostMon Dec 11, 2023 1:03 pm

Thanks, Barry. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

magnaton

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 10:20 am

I'm a big fan of MOTU interfaces as their sound quality and the channel count per price is a great value. The user interface isn't as simple as it could be, esp in their ProAudio web AI for AVB products. Compared to a couple of others, i.e. Presonus which has a much simpler layout. It you had a recording studio and used it everyday I'm sure this would become 2nd nature. I always dread having to open up their audio tools since have to spend a little time to get familiar with it again.

Return to Technical support