It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:20 am

v8 will not install

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

v8 will not install

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 11:25 am

Hello all,

I've run into a few new problems attempting to upgrade from v7 to v8. First off 2 attempts to download v8 resulted in 'unconfirmed' files which of course are not useable. I finally got a good download last night, transferred it to my removeable storage device, connected it to my Hauptwerk computer and upon attempting to launch the installer I got the following message. 'The version of this file in not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32 bit or x64 / 64 bit version of the program, etc., etc.

I have Windows 7 Pro (and yes I know it's getting to be that time to upgrade to a newer computer), however in the release notice I found the following.

'Microsoft no longer support Windows 7, and the minimum Windows version that we support fully is now
Windows 10. Hauptwerk may continue to work on Windows 7 (and we understand that Hauptwerk v8
does actually work well on it), but we no longer test on it. We will provide support for issues on Windows
7 provided that they are reproducible on one of our supported platforms and that they don't appear to be
related to the platform.'

Interestingly, I've gone through all the procedures, surrendered my v7 license and it is no longer on the Ilok dongle and v8 is now there, but v7 still works as it has all along. I figured since I surrendered v7 that I would now be completely dead in the water but as I say, v7 still works.

Aside from having to go out and start all over with a new computer (and a sound card) any ideas or workarounds for now to get v8 going?

Thanks,

Marc

mdyde

Re: v8 will not install

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 12:04 pm

Hello Marc,

Although we no longer officially test on it, Hauptwerk v8 should work on Windows 7 without problems, and quite a few v8 users do use Windows 7.

Check that the exact size in bytes, and MD5 checksum, are exactly as follows for the v8 installer you downloaded:

Windows:
InstallHauptwerk_v8.0.1.002.exe
Size: 3,208,869,568 bytes
MD5 checksum: e4deafa8ddc87d35f50c78b1e1601f25

This is how to check the exact size of a downloaded file:
- On Windows: right-click on the file and select "Properties". (Ignore its "Size on disk", which may vary and isn't the file's true size.)
... and how to check the MD5 checksum of a file:
- On Windows: you can use a freeware utility, such as this one: https://www.winmd5.com/ , or vpo-organist's utility: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21062

Also:

- Use Windows Update to check for and apply any available Windows 7 updates.

- Use "Help | Check for Application Updates" within iLok License Manager to apply any available updates.

- Reboot if anything was updated.

Does that allow it to install properly?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 12:43 pm

Hello Martin, and thanks as always for your very quick replies.

OK, it was last week when I first attempted to download v8 and while I was at it I do recall checking for and updating the iLok, but I will check again to be 100% sure.

The 2 'unconfirmed' downloads and the iLok update were performed here at work and issues could have resulted due to our security here. I performed last night's download from home and all looked to go as planned. My past experience has been if the download is corrupt or there's other issues it will at least start the installation process but will quit somewhere along the way and I then get an error code. Just to be sure I will run the MD5 checksum as I do have a utility to do so, and I'll re-check the iLok update as well and will perform all from home.

I'm betting it's an issue with the iLok update.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again for the help.

Marc

mdyde

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 12:52 pm

Thanks, Marc.
Best regards, Martin.

1961TC4ME

Re: v8 will not install / now installed

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 1:59 pm

Hello again all,

Well, finally after 3+ hours of downloading, verifying everything and fighting with my computer last night I'm happy to report v8 is installed. I have to say this has been one of the most daunting upgrades I have performed. I ended up with 3 bad downloads with the checksums off by a country mile, finally after download #4 I got one that matched. The iLok was not the issue and I did indeed update it successfully last week, code was redeemed, v7 surrendered, v8 present and accounted for, etc., etc.

When I went to install v8 last night (and I tried several times), by double clicking on the installer all I was getting was the spinning wheel and the computer would sit and do nothing else, no messages or error reports, just the spinning wheel. I walked away a couple times to return to it looking like the computer just finally gave up and quit with it just sitting there running like all was normal but no new v8 anything going on. This morning I tried to run as administrator, same results, the spinning wheel and then nothing, the computer just sitting there running as if I had just started it. As a last ditch effort I right clicked on the installer and chose 'open' and I briefly again got the spinning wheel and then FINALLY it began to install!

It took probably 10 minutes between the backup and installation process but Hauptwerk is now launching and VIII appears up at the top of the screen. I ran out of time to load and test any organs, but will do that tonight. All appears to be good at this point.

I'm starting to think I may have a hardware issue somewhere with my old Win 7 machine as I've noticed prior to the v8 installation on occasion when loading an organ it would go to like 15% loaded and then just stop and sit there for a lengthy period. After walking away and returning 30 minutes later the set was then loaded, it's done this to me a couple times recently. Maybe time for a new computer. :(

Thanks again,

Marc

mnailor

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 2:04 pm

Might want to scan and repair your filesystems and do a RAM test.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 2:13 pm

I was thinking of doing something like that, maybe a defrag of the hard drive as well? When the computer acts up the hard drive seems to go silent and I hear nothing going on which makes me think perhaps there's an issue with the hard drive. My computer and HW setup is downstairs in my office and the temp there is generally pretty cool, humidity is up and down depending on the time of the year. The setup can also sit for lengthy periods and not get used and I've had issues in the past where I've ended up disconnecting and reconnecting the hard drive and that seems to help, so I may have some sort of a plug with minor corrosion issue not conducting and passing power. I've got 32 GB of memory and Hauptwerk says I've got 28+ GB available.

Marc

mdyde

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 3:18 pm

Hello Marc,

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear you managed to get it downloaded and installed eventually. Hope you enjoy v8 and manage to resolve the problems with the PC.
Best regards, Martin.

magnaton

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 4:02 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:I was thinking of doing something like that, maybe a defrag of the hard drive as well? When the computer acts up the hard drive seems to go silent and I hear nothing going on which makes me think perhaps there's an issue with the hard drive.

Hi Marc:
Since you mentioned defrag and the drive being silent, sounds like your still using a spinning hard drive? You might want to think about moving to an SSD. Prices for drives <1TB are very reasonable. I personally like Samsung as they have a Data migration tool that will clone your existing drive even if they are at different sizes. This might resolve some of the issues not to mention the boot and organ load speed you will obtain. BTW, you don't defrag SSDs.

Best,

Danny B.

mnailor

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 4:50 pm

Good idea. Expanding to an external SSD might also be an option -- no need to rehome the OS then. But if your HDD is failing, this won't address that.

I use four Samsung T5 2TB external SSD drives on my Hauptwerk PC, as well as its internal 2TB SSD. I use 1TB versions of the same model on my office PC.

But be very careful to match the USB version of the SSD drive to the PC's USB port, or you'll have reliability and/or speed issues. Mine are USB 3.1.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 11:42 pm

Hello all,

Just a quick update. First off I don't want anyone reading what I've had to say here in this post as a negative or cause anyone looking at Hauptwerk to be discouraged in getting Hauptwerk or upgrading to v8. I've opted to continue to use and deal with a 10+ year old computer with a few issues and I know I'm skating on thin ice. If I had a more modern up to date computer I'm sure the upgrade would have been a breeze.

All the new bells and whistles aside which look great, until the upgrade I'd mostly been recently using the St. Max set with v7, so my ears were well tuned to it's sound, and with v8 I will say I'm hearing an all new instrument with greater clarity and detail I've never heard before, so kudos to Martin and the Hauptwerk team on a very nice boost to Hauptwerk!

Now to explore and load up some of my other sets, Armley Schulze in particular. 8)

Marc

mdyde

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 4:09 am

Thanks very much, Marc. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support