It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 am

How solve this licensing issue

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

thomas690

How solve this licensing issue

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 9:38 pm

I downloaded HW VIII on brand new computer
using same email to downloading and establishing iLok account.
I did setup as trial version to decide pay for licensed bit later, in fact this paying should be done physically by somebody else. I thought we do it together but this person was bit to fast and bought license on different e-mail and got there the licensee number. Could I use this number bought on email "B" to fully licensing version I installed using the email "A" or it need different action.
The person who bought the license number (email "B) didn't do anything else. Didn't install the software, didn't establish iLok account just only have a number (and payd $566 obviously). Could I get any answer on that question? I will appreciate any help.

mnailor

Re: How solve this licensing issue

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 10:28 pm

***PLEASE IGNORE THIS INCORRECT RESPONSE.***

If you're saying you want to redeem the license activation code that the other person bought, under their own email, into your iLok account, no I don't think that works. [WRONG. SEE MARTIN'S REPLY.] The license is registered to the purchaser's email address, and I'm fairly sure they'll have to create an iLok account with that same email address to redeem it. After that, they could pay a fee (to iLok and to MDA) to transfer it to your iLok account if you're actually going to be the owner and user. Bear in mind that a Hauptwerk license in iLok is for one user (and one computer at a time), not to be shared by different people.

If you're planning for the other person to be the user, read on...

I don't think the email you used on the download form for the trial copy, or the one you gave iLok to activate the trial license, will have any effect on who can use their own full license. The email isn't embedded in the installation file, for example, since everybody downloads a copy of the same file (either for PC or Mac).

There are two independent licenses here, your temporary trial license and the other person's full license. Nothing ties them together.

You should be able to install Hauptwerk from a copy of that same installation file on another computer (if it's the same OS type, i.e. PC or Mac), and your other party should be able to run it with their own license activated under their own iLok account. They should also be able to run your computer's HW with their license if they switch the license over by inserting their iLok USB key or logging into their iLok cloud account on your machine. It's really pretty flexible.

You can actually install HW on as many of your computers as you want, because one license only allows one copy to run at a time, enforced by iLok. The Hauptwerk 8 Installation and User Guide covers licensing near the beginning of the book.

Hopefully somebody will correct my if I got any of that wrong.
Last edited by mnailor on Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

thomas690

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 11:25 pm

Hi, thank you very much for your detailed response. This answer explained me what I have to do. The Person who bought the full license didn't do any action, didn't download the hauptwerk, didn't sign in into iLock account. I assume if I established new iLock account and license already installed HW under this account it should work. In the worse case, I will need uninstall my version and do all installation once again under the other owner accounts data.

Thank you anyway

mdyde

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 4:21 am

Hello Thomas,

First of all, thanks very much for buying the licence.

Actually, Mark's reply isn't quite correct with regard to activation codes and email addresses (but thanks very much -- much appreciated as always, Mark):

If the email sent to the other person contains an iLok activation code (which I think it would), then that code won't be tied to any specific email address or iLok account until one of you actually redeems that code within iLok License Manager.

Hence (provided that he/she hasn't already redeemed that activation code) you can simply redeem it to your own iLok account -- use "Licenses | Redeem Activation Code" in iLok Licence Manager whilst logged into your own iLok account, and activate it to your iLok dongle or iLok Cloud. It will then be fully registered to you.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support